Archinect
anchor

wood windows

mantaray
Adding insulation to walls/ceiling is relatively easy and cheap. Buying new windows is not.

Exactly why single pane can work. Also, remember, if you're working in a tight historic environment and want to keep the look of the building you don't have much of a choice -- true divided lights and narrow mullions necessitate single pane only. I'm just sayin', it's not the end-all be-all of insulation that people seem to think it is. I've seen people replace all their windows assuming that "double-pane low-e will save me tons of money on my heating bill!" meanwhile the house is full of cracks and cold bridges and it don't matter a damn what your windows are like at that point. You gotta fix the HOUSE first -- the amount of heat loss at the pane square footage is minimal compared to paying attention to the rest of the house (AND to your WEATHERSTRIPPING... this is key). Just drives me nuts that it's just assumed that as long as you change out your windows, you're good to go. Window salesman tend to push this viewpoint... Ok, rant over. I don't mean it against you aquapura I know you know your shit.

Jul 11, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Just got the radiant barrier quote, and we're going for it. We get the barrier, 5" of insulation, and two new wind turbines (we only had 1) for a total cost of 1600 bucks. That should help a lot.

Jul 11, 08 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

wind turbines? Sweet! Do you have batteries for them and a regulator?

Jul 11, 08 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

mantaray is right - unless your house is extremely tight, there won't be much of a difference between single and double pane. That's a big IF though, as any older buildings obviously aren't going to be as tight as new ones.

The research I've come up with (and maybe everybody here already knows this) is that windows typically account for about 20% of heating/cooling loss in a home. So that leaves 80% for walls, floor, cieling, etc. So even if your new windows are 50% more efficient, that means that you might see a 10% overall improvement.

The majority of air infiltration/exfiltration happens on the outside of the frame itself. If that's the case, then replacing even with triple panes isn't going to make much of a difference.

If you have old single panes, the best things you can do are to weatherstrip, reputty (if necessary), caulk any fixed joints, and insulate the outside of the frame.

Adding a storm window would actually bring the thermal performance of your window up to that of a new double-glazed insulated unit, with the added benefit that storms slow down air infiltration/exfiltration through the sash to a significant degree.

The problem with believing manufacturer data regarding U-value and thermal performance is that many windows are measured in the centre of the glass, not across the whole unit. Wood and PVC are good insulators, and obviously aluminum's not, so the difference has to be made up with high-tech thermal barriers between frame members, etc.

Jul 11, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

again, excellent points, slantsix. (did we work together in some previous life?) i completely agree...

Adding a storm window would actually bring the thermal performance of your window up to that of a new double-glazed insulated unit, with the added benefit that storms slow down air infiltration/exfiltration through the sash to a significant degree.

--little known fact there! I love telling clients that one. Why replace single-panes when adding a storm does the SAME THING?

and YES, thank you for mentioning the thermal performance stats thing -- exactly what I am talking about. When you only look at the panes, you completely miss the air leaks, conduction at the frame, etc. of the window as a complete unit. phew. Let's hope all your information helps anyone who does a "window" search around here!

Jul 12, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

slantsix, we used to get our weatherstripping from a company called, something like IRC... something something Resources... I can no longer find my spec for them. They did a lot of research and development of outstanding weatherstripping. You wouldn't happen to know about a company like this, would you?

Jul 12, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

throw in a dry turkey sandwich and this could almost be a lunch and learn.

Jul 12, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah/Meow you can try Lowen

Jul 16, 08 3:40 am  · 
 · 
ocanom007

Hey,

I used Bieber Windows and doors in my new home.
It is a great european product.
It tilt and swing.
We got bronze clad outside.
For Teak inside we just had to choose a stain before to order. they matched it at the factory.
the website is www.bieberusa.com

Good luck everybody

Jul 25, 08 2:55 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was told Harvey makes Clad Wood Windows....who would have thought....never seen them used, but curious as all get out cause
their like major big in the vinyl window market. Do you think it is
a bait and switch thing going on. Show your wood window and then talk up the vinyl window or do you think they are seriously in the clad wood window market.

Jul 25, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Pawel78

Try online, most of the companies offer pushing sales system. Once they find out youre interested they will be calling you everyday.

I found nice website to buy windows online without any hassle

https://bespokewoodenwindows.c...

they have only wooden windows oak, pine, accoya, meranti

good luck!

Mar 29, 19 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: