Archinect
anchor

portfolio help

Archilearner

Hello
I am in the process of making my portfolio. I don't know much about photoshop and I am having a few problems.

resolution issue
My template is 8.5x11 RGB and resolution is like 300.
But when I print it out, the text and some pics look blurry and paxillated). How should I do to fix it?
I mean I have arranged everything in every single page......and I don't want to redo the whole thing. Is there a way to change the resolution to make things sharp?

Even though the template is 8.5x11, when I print it out on 8.5x11 letter, the print doesn't come out as the same size. There are like tiny white boundaries.
Should I just cut them manually? or what should I do to get the printouts which are the same size as the templates?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Mar 20, 08 7:47 pm
brut

Your resolution probablem probably comes from the original images that you are compiling on the temlate page, not the resolution of the template page itself. If anything 300 dpi is too high. Go back to the original images and see what their resolution is. Not that you can really fix the problem if that is the case, but at least you will know where your problem is coming from.

Second, if you're printing on 8.5 X 11 with a regular printer, it cannot do a "full bleed' print (a print which does not have a white border around it). There are certain printers that do have "full bleed" capabilities which you could look into buying. Otherwise your options are to print on 8.5 X 11 and cut down to a slightly smaller size or to print the template on a larger size and crop it down to the true 8.5 X 11 later. Neither one is especially desirable but Kinkos or any print shop can do a guillotine cut that will take all of the work out of it for you.

If theres anything I said that is confusing, comment back.

Mar 20, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Your text is blurry because you are working in Photoshop. Photoshop is a raster graphic program which means images are represented in pixels.

Next time, you should try to do your layout and text in a program such as InDesign or Illustrator. If you know Photoshop, it will take just a few minutes to get a hang of these new programs.

Mar 20, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Archilearner

brut thank you so much

I am not very clear about the resolution thing.
Even when I just type the fonts on that 300pixels/inch template, they look blurry when i print out the page.
I don't know what is wrong.

Mar 20, 08 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Archilearner

ah..ok....I am gonna try to put the fonts in other programs...
thanks

Mar 20, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Archilearner

sorry to bother you guys again...

am i supposed to save psd as jpeg in Photoshop and...add fonts in Indesign?
I can't open psd format in Indesign.
What format should I save as first in Photoshop so that I can play with text when I open that file in Indesign?

Thanks.

Mar 21, 08 2:34 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

tiff or pdf will be able to open in indesign.

never save anything as jpgs, the image quality declines every time you save it, like making copies on a photocopier.

cheers.

Mar 21, 08 2:38 am  · 
 · 

in design does not actually open the files.

it creates links to the originals, so you can use jpegs pdfs psds tiffs, eps, they all work. make a new document then place images as necessary...

it is good idea to put the linked files all in one place cuz if in design can't find the original when it prints or exports to pdf file it will use a lo-res placemarker image instead.

to place an image hit ctrl+d.

as a hint do make use of layers, putting images on one layer, text etc on others. you can lock layers so it is easy to put text on top of images and move them around without accidentally selecting the image, etc...

i have a full-bleed epson printer ( i think here in japan it is actually nearly impossible to find a printer that does not do full bleed ). it will cut off or expand images to meet the edges so requires some experimentation to get it to work right...but is not too complicated...and always looks quite good. beats kinkos by a mile.

good luck!

Mar 21, 08 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Archilearner

thank you so much for your helpful suggestions.. I can't survive without this forum!! :)
a few more questions though

what would be the best way to reduce the file size without affecting the quality?
I have like 28 pages...and..the file size is huge...I need to make it small enough to email it as an attachment....

Could you please tell me how you change those psd files into PDF?
Am I supposed to use the Automate Command and create PDF presentation in Photoshop? or
Should I first save every PSD into PDF individually and....bind them together in Acrobat Reader? which one is better?

Thankssssssssssssssss!

Mar 23, 08 1:44 am  · 
 · 

if you use indesign you can export as pdf and set resolution. i usually send out at 150 dpi for e-mails and bring resolution down to medium or less. much lower than that and the quality drop is pretty noticeable...

if you are going to do it just through photoshop, i actually don't know. you can certainly save each file to pdf then put together with acrobat (using Pro, not reader). that seems a lot of work to me though. look in help and see if there is an automated way to tie pages together from PS. ive never heard of it, but never know...

personally i would never use photoshop as desktop publisher. is really not intended for it...

Mar 23, 08 6:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: