Archinect
anchor

IT´s about the money, baby, just that. Will my Master pay up?

xpondilus

I went to these slick AA (EM-tech Master presentation), and despite I was looking for a master in Sustainbility, it seemed, you can do a spin with youre research on the program towards a sustainable edge. ( best grids and structure for light and shade for example.). Michael Hensel showed some proyects done with O.C.E.A.N. in this field and they were energy -oriented. Onur´s blog too, looks awsome. PRoblem is the the money. Ill have to ask for a 55K loan for tuition and living in London for the first 8 months. (am planning doing some renderings and Ecotech services to pay for the rest of the stay). One of the Arq. who traveled with them said you could easily get a job opportunity with the master done. Am just scared with the loan, will this Master pay up? If someone can help....much appreciated....

PS: sorry for poor english.

Mar 18, 08 1:01 am
ff33º

....forget architecture, you should try out for the next Austin Powers movie.

Mar 18, 08 1:35 am  · 
 · 
trace™

55k for 8 months? That's insane!

So nope, will never 'pay up'.

Mar 18, 08 8:21 am  · 
 · 
moose drool

Oh I thought this was an S&M thread. Damn.

Mar 18, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
modernmonk

@moose drool: lol

55K loan for tuition for 8 months in london is simply "unsustainable".

Mar 19, 08 6:19 am  · 
 · 
modernmonk

wait... which currency are we talking about?

Mar 19, 08 6:21 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, if that is not $ then it would be substantially worse

Mar 19, 08 8:50 am  · 
 · 
xpondilus

AA charges for tuition (Master)= £ 22,231
living expenses (1 year)= £ 12,000

gives a total of = £ 32,200 = 64.000 dollars

I had said K55 cause perhaps Ill go for the Msc who is cheaper.

As days go by, Im thinking of just doing it. I hope Ill be able to pay it once in London (office job, or renders or the Ecotech side jobs).

PS: moose drool: ROFL

Mar 19, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

Maybe we spoke to the same person on Friday, but yeah, apparently it'll "pay up" and be worth it.
Besides, would you rather do what you want to do or let ideas of financial limits control your opportunities? Trust me, I'm getting a lot deeper in debt than this, and you just have to make the back of the envelope calc work for you and then go for it.
Also, at the AA it sometimes gets so busy we forget to look for all those grants/subsidies that ARE available and unfortunately the school is not yet very geared with assisting us in this. But sort out your basic loans/finances and then see how/where you can get funding and chip away at those overheads. And do speak to Michael and Achim and ask if they have any advice on where students have gotten money from in the past or approach current students if possible. Pump out a good CV and throw in some good recommendations and get 200 grant apps in the mail NOW while you still have the time and energy.

Mar 19, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
tomasz3838

I don't know about the States but within Europe an EmTech degree pretty much guarantees you a job before you even graduate (judging from last years group).

I recommend it... (current student)

Mar 22, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I am curious, have any US firms ever heard of the AA? I have my doubts.

Mar 23, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: