Archinect
anchor

Material Study

arch-stud2.0

SO...I'm doing a Material Study for designing my ideal cube, I have very little experience with materials and using them appropriately, I've thought about color and texture but how could I possible use it to strongly support my ideal cube.

By ideal cube, I mean what my definition of a cube is which is 8 corners that are aligned on axes (axis's?)....any way, I thought about wood and somehow taking the grain into consideration, but then that strongly implies a plane or direction which i don't think is the direction I want to go, instead I would want something to reinforce the idea of the corners being my ideal cube. The analysis of the cube is based on it as a volume, a container and a frame

any suggestions?

Mar 17, 08 10:32 am
gonad

ah mastering the ol cube.

maybe you can take a look at John Hejduk's books, one in particular might be Soundings. it could help you get more ideas.

Mar 20, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My 10 second solution: Use thin metal to construct - via braising or welding - 8 corners - JUST the corners - then join them with rods internal to the cube - the axes. Then stretch fabric around the whole thing, fabric thin enough that it is less translucent in the corners, moreso in the fields/planes, emphasizing the corners.

Proper placement of the fabric seam location is critical - *ideally* it would be a continuous piece, no seams, but that would only be possible if you didn't use fabric. So maybe you dip the cube in latex and let it dry? Though then drips during drying would show direction on the surface, no good. Plus you'd have to coat the axial struts with oil so the latex would only stick to the corners. How will this cube be displayed?

I vaguely recall hearing about an architect in the 80s - Pelli, perhaps? - who would subtly tint the glass at the corners and edges of his glass-skinned buildings so that it looked more stretched in the planes and less so at the corners.

Mar 20, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

my buddy recently made this cube for installation at art gallery outside tokyo...2m x 2m to a side, each side transparent poly sheet...he sealed himself inside then threw paint on walls, once a week as performance piece. each week a new color (in above image his assistants were checking out space after a fit of white).

in the end was a crazy mess that left only this as remainder...

the cube that used to be...the cube that was inhabited, experienced, then went away...

there are lots of ways to deal with abstract problems like yours...maybe you can go for something more procedural than literal...and use material to support that, than to pick a material first

Mar 21, 08 7:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: