Archinect
anchor

your first job decides the rest of your career?

queen

I did urban design for a couple of years before Architecture School and then 8 months after, but I always become an architect that also design buildings. Showed my portfolio to several architects. Ones at big offices said it's a fantastic portfolio, but comments from a small artsy office was pretty saddening: a portfolio with so many examples of urban design makes it hard to convince people that you can do architecture design....wow... I thought, I was looking for the first architecture job out of school with a bonus of knowing urban design...how can it kill my chance of becoming a building designing architect

I hope it is just the artsy guy was having confused logic himself, but what if I am wrong?

May 6, 13 4:15 am
accesskb

can you draw a detail?  Even your architectural design projects consisting of mainly fancy renderings and vignettes would be frowned upon in the real workplace if you can't show you have some technical skills also, let alone mainly urban design work.

May 6, 13 5:36 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Through past experiences at job interviews, I've always noticed that principals were more interested in looking at my well detailed plans, sections etc.  One who hired me even went so far in telling me to cut down on the renderings in the future unless it was my wish to become the 'render guy' in the firm.  He literally went, "Anyone can learn to create renderings.  It is not what you're really here for."

May 6, 13 5:42 am  · 
 · 
bindunarayan

I agree with the fact that our first job decides the rest of our career. If anyone happen to start their career as an architect, they will continue to remain in that field only if at all they want to taste success in their career. 

May 6, 13 6:31 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

small firms tend to want you to demonstrate some pretty specific skills. can you convert some sketches into a CD set in addition to being a photoshop wiz while making a little chipboard model? Does your portfolio demonstrate that? if not, change it. your first job isn't destiny: your anatomy is.

What? Just quoting freud.

whatever.

I'm an alligator.

May 6, 13 11:09 am  · 
 · 
observant

Affirmative.  Sort of.

I've found that the quality and brand recognition of your employer determine the path of your career ... to some extent.

If you've worked for a firm everyone knows, it's "Ohhhhhh" when interviewing

If you've worked for a firm that is not known, it's "oh, ok" when interviewing

If you don't get a good firm as your first job, endeavor mightily to get one for your second job.

P.S.  I'm talking about general purpose architecture firms, not planning, interior arch. or other nice type areas.

May 6, 13 11:48 am  · 
 · 
observant

^

Correction:  niche type areas, not nice type areas.

Sorry.

May 6, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

We can probably all think of at least one firm whose work just isn't very good.  Does working at one of these firms as a young designer/intern hurt your career later on?

May 6, 13 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

No, but you should upgrade as soon as possible, at least to a medium-sized one that does good work.

May 6, 13 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

The advice / testimonials in this thread are rubbish.

Seriously. Your first job absolutely DOES NOT define your career. What the fuck is that all about?

May 6, 13 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

It's not COMPLETE rubbish.  If you land at a good firm, the next good firm is easier to come by.

Worked with a woman in a secondary market who had worked for Richard Meier's office.  She was recruited away from my firm of employment in about 5 months.  She was a 4 year degree holder with no license, a CAD jockey, and not at all stellar.  Others trying to get into that firm without a slick name on their resume weren't (as) successful.

There's a lot attached to the predecessor employer, but with effort, one can get around that and chart a new course.

May 6, 13 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Ya, our profession, like most things in life revolves around personal connections and "those you know". Get your foot in the right door so to speak, and you'll probably find more open doors down the road.

But that's not the same as defining one's career. 

May 6, 13 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

There's some interesting opinions here. I would say kinda but not necessarily.  I personally think that your mindset determines the path you take. Your ability to digest, process and not regurgitate but learn from what you do and see is what will show.

Resting on the laurels of previous firms worked for, will only take you so far. Eventually, what you are worth professionally speaks for itself. I mean seriously guys (and gals), this question reminds me of the education background debates we see so often on these boards.  You start working, you establish a brand and there may come a time where you may have to re-brand. Your brand will not do that on it's own, you make an active investment into where and how that brand develops.

One old school principle I worked for, believed in learning by osmosis. BS you might say, I did too for a while. You get smarter in time. Those that refuse to, fall behind. Fall behind enough and it will not matter what your education or work backgrounds are. You will be passed up for someone sharper.

May 7, 13 3:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: