Archinect
anchor

Alternative careers in architecture..

UTGuy

What are other careers I could pursue with BArch besides just an architect? What other options are there?

Thanks for any input.

Sep 14, 04 12:15 am
joe

building construction management
project management
site planning
environmental behavior studies
urban design and planning
public works and building services
hi-rise design
seismic design
lighting and acoustical design
energy conservation
barrier free architecture
computer modeling/communication
cad application/coordinator
critic
real estate
etc, but there are many more once you look into related fields also.. but you didnt ask about that...

Sep 14, 04 2:47 am  · 
 · 
joe

forgot model maker
set design
art director
etc
there are several careers in the movie industry, but itd probably be harder to get into those since there is such a high competition for the jobs.

Sep 14, 04 2:51 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Most Grads with a BArch Find that the pay is so low they go into
Selling Stocks or become a Real estate Salesperson.
What at waste But that the Sad Truth.

Sep 14, 04 9:50 am  · 
 · 
UTGuy

Why is pay so low for architects who hold a BArch, or even a MArch? Would it be smarter to get a degree in say, Structural or Architectural Engineering and then go for a MArch? I mean, atleast to have more marketable skills.

Sep 14, 04 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Is there an echo in this forum?

Sep 14, 04 10:14 am  · 
 · 
tlmII

if $$$ is your motivation more so thatn freedom to design, working for a general contractor in project management is a good career. technical skills that engineers and architects have are important but so are business skills. many of the entry level "project engineers" I work with have undergrd degrees in civil engineering or business, several have architecture backgrounds though

Sep 14, 04 10:50 am  · 
 · 
A

Why don't you become a librarian. They get paid well and don't have to really do squat.

Sep 14, 04 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

I am a librarian and so is my family and it pays quite nicely. I wouldn't trade this for an architecture position any day.

Sep 14, 04 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: