Archinect
anchor

Taking Your Portfolio With You... Shiesty??

dillup.

I mailed out a number of resumes and sample sheets to several firms. I'm flying out to this city to go to some interviews next week. So they already have high quality color print sample sheets (3 pages) of my work. I'm going to bring a copy of my more in-depth portfolio.
Is it acceptable to take your portfolio with you after you show it to them in the interview? I'd rather not take several portfolios and give them out for packing and cost... well ok really just cost reasons. Hey, I'm on a student budget (though this for a full time post-graduate position).

THoughts? What's normal?

Mar 5, 08 3:11 pm

you're not expected to leave a costly portfolio behind.

rules may have changed SOMEWHAT in this digital printing world, but i never had more than my one beautifully bound leather portfolio that i guarded with my life back when i used to interview.

digression:
i've seen people copy all of their portfolio info onto a cdrom that they left behind. from an employers perspective, if this was in the form of a folder full of pdfs it was kind of a pain (i.e., i wasn't likely to open them all), but if it was set up as a sort of website-on-a-disc, i was much more likely to look at it. ...so that's an option.

Mar 5, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Your first thought is the best - sample sheets stay; portfolio travels with you.

And as someone that used to sift thru resumes - those (no matter how good the credentials) with a portfolio on CD or worse - those annoying business card sized CDs got tossed.

Mar 5, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I definitely take my nice copy with me.

Mar 5, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah, i wouldn't propose that your portfolio ONLY be on cd. you gotta have a hard copy to talk about in the interview.

i was just suggesting that if you wanted to have a leave-behind of the whole thing, a cdrom is an option.

i also think that what you've done - a three page leave-behind of high points - is more likely to be reviewed and therefore more helpful.

Mar 5, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
simples

following up on s.w.'s suggestion, I would always have a CD with a very simple powerpoint presentation of the portfolio at interviews; if they requested keeping my portfolio, i would politely offer up the CD;

Mar 5, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
simples

sorry for the tangent, but i remember, in the mid 90's, going to interviews with extra VHS' tapes with computer animations and leaving them behind...scored big novelty points that way...

Mar 5, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Skis101

I feel that if you are really into an employer, leave the portfolio with them. You can ask first. They may say no, but will appreciate you asking. You may not know whether or not you want to leave it until the end of the interview. But I always feel like it is worth the extra $$$ to make another portfolio. This is your career after all. If you think leaving the portfolio behind will give you the extra push, leave it. Wouldn't you be mad if someone else got your dream job just because they went then extra mile by leaving a portfolio? If I have 5 interviews, I would to make 3 portfolios. I would leave two with the employers I want to work for the most, and keep the last one for myself to carry around.

Mar 6, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
+i

it's not cheap or shiesty to take it with you. no one expects you to leave it behind. especially not the $200 leather-bound book. i have one of those as well. what i have witnessed in the firm is that the ones who get left behind end up in a pile in the back of a coat closet somewhere and eventually get tossed out. either that- or your ideas get manipulated and used in one of the firm's designs. either way- just take it with you. no one cares. and if they want to see something again, you can always email an attachment. it's really not that serious.

Mar 7, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: