Archinect
anchor

AMO

badass japanese cookie

I am curious about the mysterious entity known as AMO. What kind of people work there and what are their formal backgrounds? Anybody want to share some information/stories about them?

Sep 11, 04 9:08 pm
alphanumericcha

amo is the Irish singer/songwriter who draws on such influences as Johnny Cash, U2, and Bruce Springsteen :/

Sep 11, 04 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Amo is the side office of OMA (Office for metropolitan architecture / Rem Koolhaas) mmhh i have not really a lot of info of the people who actually works there, but they r focused in social condition research, and depends of the project i think they invite different people to collaborate with them...still i guess some of the core of it is regular people who work at OMA as well....

Sep 11, 04 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

...well, except it is in nyc, and mostly managed by Jeff Inaba (who headed the Harvard Project on the City, while RK was doing multiple circles around the globe). AMO is comprised of architects that are graphically-inclined as well as research-inclined. Many a phd candidate circulates through there...
as for stories ... they are not fit to print.

Sep 12, 04 12:29 am  · 
 · 

i thought they were located in HK? did they move the office to NYC?

Sep 12, 04 12:45 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

jeffrey inaba hasn't worked at amo in three years. get your story straight.

Sep 12, 04 3:11 am  · 
 · 
gerhard

forgot to add: look in content and check out how many projects have his name on them. or if he's listed under amo. his biggest project is inventing the myth of inaba.

Sep 12, 04 3:12 am  · 
 · 
JG

The NYC location is located between Tribeca and Soho on the west side. When I heard Rem talk about it he described it as the research wing of OMA but would be charged primarily with overseeing many US based projects.

According to the OMA website it is run by Rem. I think Sanford Kwinter may work there too, albeit part time.

However I hear that they are experiencing financial difficulties with the cancellation of a number of large projects such as LACMA, the Schrager Hotel in NY, the Whitney, as well as the SF Prada store.

On a side note: Usually when a large company starts a small company it's for bankruptcy and liability protection.

Sep 12, 04 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Will Prince

AMO has a flutuating list of staff. There are a few primary guys all in Rotterdam, all architects by training, that are responsible for day to day stuff etc. and then it expands and contracts with projects depending on need and expertise. Harvard grad students and phds cetainly funnel in and out, along with Mark Leonard, Hans Ulrich-Obrist, and various other big name contributors. Reiner de Graff and Nicolas Firket along with Markus Schaefer (although I think he was moving into his own practice) are the main guys at least they were less than a year ago.

Sep 12, 04 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

several gsd people went to work for AMO in rotterdam this summer. there was a recruitment email circulating around. a handful that have done research for rem have continued doing phd's in history theory criticism and have published their pieces in wired and content. some are doing a lot of publishing on their own by now.

Sep 12, 04 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: