Archinect
anchor

Bad internship available - stay away.

Janosh

Hey kids- someone forwarded this to me, and as someone who has had a fair share of bad employers, I think this might be instructive for anyone new to the architecture game as a good example of a bad internship... No employer should require you to "really want to be an architect even if it doesn't pay well" as a quality they are looking for.

Architectural Intern
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2004-09-08, 12:29PM PDT

Small three-person office in Marina del Rey looking to add a team member. If you want to be exposed to all aspects of the architectural design process this is the position for you. We take are time finding the right person because we are small and you must be the right fit for our team. See our work at www.carsonarchitects.com

WHAT YOU WILL DO
1. Answer phones.
2. Build models.
3. Construction Documents and some design tasks.
4. File product updates and maintain the library.
5. Run errands.
6. Order office supplies.
7. Archive and catalogue old jobs.
8. Keep the office organized.
9. Update the Website.
10. Take out the trash.

IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF YOU KNOW
1. Some ArchiCAD or AutoCAD.
2. Excel.
3. Word.
4. Photoshop.
5. FormZ.
6. Computer or hand rendering.

WHAT YOUR ATTITUDE SHOULD BE
1. I get bored easily and need to be busy all the time.
2. I don't surf the web on company time.
3. I really want to be an architect even if it doesn't pay well.
4. When I encounter a problem I first come up with a few solutions then I ask questions.
5. I want to be part of a small team and help grow with the business

Sep 11, 04 1:34 am
kissy_face

It wasn't that bad up until the "what your attitude should be" part.

Sep 11, 04 3:22 am  · 
 · 
bigness

man, it sounds like a joke... i dont surf the net on company time...ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Sep 11, 04 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Janosh,

I'am glad you posted that, reason is we should all be more aware taht we have to get payed for any work we do. I remember a couple of years ago, I designed and fabricated some furniture for my at that time soon to be mother and father in law. After the furniture was in their home, they asked me, -"How much do we owe you?", I answered: "Nothing, don't even think about it". Needless to keep describing the conversation, they were upset as hell! "How can you not charge for your work?!!!", they kept repeating in a loud voice.

Point is, if you work, any type of work, wether you hate it or love it, you need to get payed, and get payed what it's worth. And here comes the trickie part that most of us don't get, the only person that knows what is worth is yourself. Do not, do not, let anybody tell you what you are worth, otherwise, you might as well pack your f#@&en mouse and keyboard, and call it a life.

So after all that........Thanks Janosh.

Sep 11, 04 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

true...wise words.

funny how now architects say keyboard and mouse, 5 years ago it would have been pencils and set squares...

Sep 11, 04 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

No, Richard... that was 10-15 years ago. :)

Sep 11, 04 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

not in portsmouth school of architecture, sir!
when the gold medal for architecture sir colin stansfield smith teaches you design, you draw your shit with pencil and trace, or else!
good ol' days.

Sep 11, 04 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

I love SCI-Arc... :)

Sep 11, 04 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: