Archinect
anchor

INTERNSHIP vs. GRAD SCHOOL

ElTomas

I recently completed my undergrad in Arch.., and i have never worked in an office. I am looking for some advice from practicing architects who have already been down the road. Question is, in the long run, is it better to work in an office before starting grad school, or to jump right into grad school?

Sep 10, 04 10:32 pm
alphanumericcha

two choices right? do you have the money to go on and get it done? if so, probably best to get it over with. are you burned-out or ready to go?

work is much better than school for me, but the other way around for others. maybe you could get some part time work while in school for an architect.

my road was very hilly and twisted. had to pay my way and was certainly burned-out, so I took time off. Worked for me but out of necessity.

either way for you good luck!

Sep 10, 04 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

Try work for a year and see how it goes - just don't get married or buy a big house or new shiny car with the money you make. I'm working now because I have to (two kids) but I'm looking forward to heading back for my master's next year. I've been out of undergrad for two years now. Also, I've found working in an office is less stressful than studio.

Sep 11, 04 12:46 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I am glad you brought this question up. It is bouncing in my head to. I am interning for one year, but applying to grad schools for the next fall. I have gotten recommendations on working 2-3 years before grad because you get exposure to different issues that might affect the way you think about architecture. Does that mean going to grad school with the work experience can negatively affect how much you get out of it? err.

Sep 11, 04 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: