Archinect
anchor

Are you f'ing kidding. Free internship at Seattle AIA

http://www.aiaseattle.org/node/7846

I guess it's ok because it's not for an architecture position. Spread the love. 

Apr 11, 13 3:31 pm

"The average weekly commitment would range from 5-7 hours"

5-7hrs a week and a chance to meet and get to know members of the AIA who could potentially employ you in the future, give you references or point you in the right direction of a full time job.  Doesn't sound too horrible when there are still unpaid interns working 60+ hr weeks at plenty of firms.

Apr 11, 13 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Well I think technically the AIA is a nonprofit. It looks like that position is especially oriented towards the advocacy responsibilities of the organization. So I don't really have a problem with it. Other then the fact that the architectural perspective and advocacy will continue to be created and represented by those fortunate enough to be able to "Volunteer" but that's a much bigger problem. 

Apr 11, 13 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Come on folks - let's start applying some of those analytical skills for which architects are suppose to be famous.

AIA is, by definition, a volunteer organization. The vast majority of the work performed by the organization is performed by unpaid member-volunteers.

During my 20+ years as a volunteer leader of AIA I wish I had averaged "only" 5-7 hours per week.

Apr 11, 13 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Come on, let's not let the righteous indignation peter out here, folks.  Shouldn't someone die for this sin?

Apr 11, 13 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

If you read the bottom, it's also not directed towards architecture interns but rather people in public policy masters programs... I'd agree, this isn't on the same degree as architecture firms soliciting free profit-driven labor.

Apr 11, 13 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

So if the american bar association asked an architect to volunteer their time, that would still be ok? 

My problem is that devaluing is such a problem with architects today, and our advocacy group is hosting an ad for a free intern themselves. I know it's not for an architect, that's why it's worse. 

Apr 12, 13 11:54 am  · 
 · 
TED

It sounds like a glorified administrative assistance role wrapped with a fancy title 'public policy' -

They should be ashamed of themselves -

Interning at a place where your learning from an expertise that is there [such as a newpaper - or law clerk or senators office] is one thing - not this - real BS

Apr 12, 13 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

thats pathetic... shame on AIA... I will never want to sign up for AIA ever again!

Apr 13, 13 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

i wonder if they want registered architects to work for free.......may be I will sign up.....LOL

Apr 14, 13 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I could use an internship  to  connect with  other Architects  looking to  hire....but please pay me at your current pay scale for people of my own  grade....which is a bag if Kitty  Litter and a Kitty poop scoop.

Apr 14, 13 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Get it right, the AIA is there to support the big old boys, not your broke ass!

Apr 15, 13 1:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: