Archinect
anchor

Professional or Academic Work in Portfolio

ayodh

I have a BArch degree and one and a half years of work experience and I'm now doing a masters. I'm planning to start to apply for internships in the summer. Given the limit of a two page portfolio, should I include only professional work where I was in the next major decision making and designing role after the principal of the firm, or should I also include work from my BArch thesis? My thesis was more an exploration of an appropriate architecture for a context rather than being a very spectacular building or fulfilling a challenging programme so I don't know how relevant it will be for a job application...any suggestions?

I should add that all my work experience is in India and I'm going to be looking for a job on the East Coast in the US. The projects I have worked on in India are fairly cutting edge if I may say so myself (one of them being a digitally fabricated, 30 meter high, stainless steel gateway), but the construction systems and detailing is naturally different from the US.

How easy is it to even get a job for 1-2 months? Am I applying too early or too late?

Should I even be posting this in the professional practice category or should I have posted this in the academia category? Please Help!

Feb 7, 08 12:14 am
gradapp07

No job = no money = no fun = no dates = no sex = no peace = no sleep = no focus = no creativity = no job...

Feb 8, 08 7:05 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

why is there a two-page limit?

Feb 10, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
ayodh

i wish i knew the reason for the limit, but alas i don't, that's what the firm says.

Feb 10, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

They probably want to be woo'd with how effective you are in being concise and to the point with a couple of solid images...

I would try and use them both. One page Academic, one page Professional.

Then again it is an internship position so put thestuff that you want to be working on in. If you like the digital marketing stuff then enphasize that, if you like the detailing of CD's enphasize that. But also try to cover all basis of a project b/c who knows what they need you for

Good luck

Feb 18, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ayodh

thanks a lot outthere, i appreciate the advice.

Feb 19, 08 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: