Archinect
anchor

the love of creating with your own hands and the pleasure of sawdust

treekiller

I've been known to make a piece of furniture for each place I live. With all the talent represented by archinecteurs, lets share stuff made by our own hands! So here is mine, lets see your furniture, geegaws, gadgets, sculpture, paintings, and whatever you like making...

the tK williamsburg coffee table:

built in williamsburg 2002

2@6' 4x12 construction grade douglas fir
2@2' L1 1/2"x1/8"
4@6" rubber tread steel swivel casters
24@2" lag screws
lots of sand paper
five coats tung oil

currently used as my bed frame by swapping out the Ls with 4' L2"x1/8"pieces

and the famous pixelwhore garden shed (thanks orhan):

more pics

Jan 26, 08 12:38 pm
evilplatypus

Wow - The coffee table is very interesting prototype - but the shed blows me away.

Job well done!

Jan 26, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
moose drool

Cool shed. The lockers are a great idea.

Jan 26, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

This was a studio project, does that count?

90% recycled palettes.

Univ. of Minnesota, 2001 Undergrad studio "Sukkah"

Like all good undergrad projects that are built, it fell down in the first stiff wind...
j

Jan 26, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Side table I made from a drum stand, some scrap wood and a record. Kinda funny. Built it while taking a break from studio about a month ago.

Jan 26, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My second attempt at welding (after chopping the frame on my old motorcycle!) is this pot rack. Functional. Didn't paint it or polish it, just left it rough and unsafe 'cause that's how I roll.

Jan 26, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This isn't furniture, but it's still fun: chalkboard paint directly on the wall, with a $2 thrift-store frame nailed over top.

We're having a potluck tonight, and we live in Winnipeg, hence the cabbage rolls and borscht (everybody here is eastern-euro and ukranian!)

Jan 26, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I made my bed. Literally. I made a much nicer one in my old house, but since we downgraded to a little apartment, we needed the storage space. So I built an 8'x8'x3' platform bed for our king size mattress. Underneath is storage for a whole ton of stuff, including all my woodworking tools.

It's hideous but it does the job and was dirt cheap. Maybe you've noticed that trend - we don't buy anything new when we can either make it ourselves, or buy it used, etc. We're also poor students, so there's that as well. I think we must have paid about $500 for every piece of furniture in our apartment, including bed, couch, dining room table and chairs, computer desks, sewing station, kitchen shelving and counter, coffee table(s), side table, lighting, etc.

My girlfriend is probably the most self-sufficient person I know: she makes our laundry detergent ($0.02 / load with no phosphates or NTA) and as we speak she's getting her gun license (!!!) for protecting herself from bears out in the woods. I've learned a lot.

Jan 26, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Oh, and I made a traditional spinach and feta pie today for our potluck!

Jan 26, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ok..... to help everyone out

post that code that you have to type in to make it fit... [img]???????????

i'll toss in a few pics...

Jan 26, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

all I know is that if you make the photo 5" or less wide, it fits. The rest eludes me, too, obviously.

Jan 26, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

my pics are not in photobucket but on my site...so i need that img code...... der

Jan 26, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

yum to the pie

Jan 26, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

↓↓ also made for life in winnipeg. plywood and screws; cut and assembled at step-father's work shed on the farm.

↓↓ most recently did these things for a driveway here in tokyo. not crafty or by themselves very amazing, but not so bad when put together to make pattern in driveway.

Jan 26, 08 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

btw, very cool stuff, slantsix.

to make images fit, add a space then type in width=400 (or less) before the final [/img]

so the code example below becomes like this; but subbing the hard brackets for the soft ones i put in here:

(img)http://www.image.com/image.jpg width=400(/img)

Jan 26, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

width=418 is the max that works...

I'd think that studio design/build projects count.

jump - love the pavers

Jan 26, 08 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

Jan 26, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Jan 27, 08 4:25 am  · 
 · 
a-f

The pavers are great, jump! What kind of mold did you use?

Jan 27, 08 5:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

slantsix: I love the rustic simplicity of your bed. And the linens are wonderful too. (The fact that you showed us your bed is so intimate - thank you for sharing it.)

jump, those pavers I admired in another image, it's great to see them being made! Love your aesthetic.

I did NOT build this with my two hands, my husband did, and he actually used a CNC router, which is what I'm interested in exploring these days, having made a bunch of stuff badly with my own two hands in grad school. The wall in our dining room, unfinished MDF panels which will eventually be painted. (Husband made the table (with his hands) with reclaimed maple we stripped from the windows.):

Jan 27, 08 9:43 am  · 
 · 

we used recycled formwork given to us by the contractor gratis, and bought paper tubes to make the voids. contractor also got us cement, sand, and wire mesh (reinforcing) at cost, and let us use an old mixer (and i mean OLD) - we more or less donated labor (as did the contractor), making 160+ of the wee little beasties. we could not have afforded to do it if we paid the contractor for the labor so we did it ourselves. it was an investment in our education more than business decision but i think much better than the flat concrete driveway we would have had to do otherwise...

have posted this link other places too so feels like beating a dead horse a bit, but if interested you can check out the rest of the house from start to finish here. actually, more truthful to say from finish to start, cuz of the backwardness of time on blog pages....there are a few bits left on the house to be dun, but its mostly complete and you can see where the pavers fit in the scheme of things...

Jan 27, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 

that is beautiful, LB - table and wall, both. def jealous.

Jan 27, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I hadn't checked the house blog in awhile jump - the sloping "garden" is great! I love how artificially natural it is. Such an amazing project, don't feel like you're posting it too often, everyone here should see it - it's inspirational!

Jan 27, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Great df panels, lb!

Jan 27, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 

thanks for the positive comments on the garden shed, it was a collaborative project I did with a local non-profit.

I'm going to dig around and try to find some good pictures of the project I participated in New Orleans with Wentworth professors/students.

Jan 27, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Jump - the house looks amazing. I love the sloping garden and the tiles on the driveway.

LB - Those panels rock. All I want to do is go over and and touch them.

Pixelwhore - I love the shed too. Can't wait to see what the other project looks like.

Actually all the projects shown on this thread are awesome. Wish I had the know how to do some carpentry work myself, but alas I'd probably cut off my thumb.

Jan 27, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Actually that's the beauty of it. First you cut off your thumbs. Then you can get your hands into tighter places. Sure, it's more difficult to position a screw, but think of where your hands will go.

Jan 27, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

tuna-
you must have talent, so let it hang out!

Jan 27, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Actually I do enjoy playing with clay and glazes. It's a lot safer. No real possibility of detaching appendages.

Here are two of my favorite pieces. Unfortunately the photos don't do the glaze job justice on the bowl.

I got the inspiration from an a Chinese brush drawing. The only thing that sucks is that the stain dripped a little.

Bottom

Jan 27, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Jump I love those pavers.

LB I love the panels. I have a sketch for a desk with somewhat similar joint detailing sitting around here somewhere. That looks so cool maybe I'll actually build it now.

Mine:

Bedside table (knockoff finnply w/ figured anigre screw covers)

Coffee Table (birch, birch ply, figured cherry veneer, laser cutter) sorry the pics kinda suck.

Jan 27, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for comments, all.

all the projects here are imoressive...love that night table manamana. if i had a bed instead of a futon i would def love to have one. the plywood is beautiful.

Jan 27, 08 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

apologies. imoressive = impressive.

Jan 27, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

there is a lot of really impressive stuff up here!

Jump i agree, those pavers are amazing!

LB, that wall finish is amazing too, really great idea.

TK, i really like that coffee table as well, that timber looks fantastic.

everyone elses stuff is fantastic too...

ive made a few things...but they are not nearly the quality of what is being shown.

Here is a book case i made for my mom's office. The idea was to make two side pieces that could allow for an expandable set of shelves... Its cheap cheap particle board and aluminum angles. And massively oversized bolts... they were the best part

Front

Side/Module

Back

And this is a really simple lamp i built out of garbage.
I think they were at one time part of an Ikea like head board? but i found them in the alley. I put a few hinges on the inside and wired a few light bulbs to hang down behind.

Jan 27, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Damn, I wish I had access to laser cutters, CNC routers..... hell, I'd even settle for having a place to set up all my tools again!

SO MUCH GOOOOD STUFF in this thread!

Jan 27, 08 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

I like oversize bolts too!

Jan 27, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Slant, I know how you feel. I built that bedside table in my living room. The coffee table was built while I was in school.

right now I just got to the point where I have a small garage to work out of for $80 a month.

Jan 27, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Great stuff everyone! I like it all, but I'm especially digging the shed and the pavers.

I'm going to share this thread with my product design workshop class on tuesday. I think some people in my class would really enjoy you work.

Jan 27, 08 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

*Everyone's work.

Sorry. I shouldn't have in depth conversations on the phone with my boss while I'm typing my posts.

Jan 27, 08 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
binary

feel free to visit the profiles...i'm sure people have more work tucked away somewhere......

maybe make a photobucket link just for this thread if you dont have a site or something

Jan 27, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Nice work folks.

Here's on to encourage people working in their living room -- I made this about a year before entering architecture school with the contents of one portable toolbox -- my only power tool was a 18v power drill.

Jan 28, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 

this is an amazing thread. I think I need to search for some of the images of my work. Granted I have never actually built them with my own hands - I typically prefer the finish of others. But I will show a few things I have designed.

my desk at home (yes it is that messy)

and a set of chairs I designed for my sister (homage to modern meets traditional)

Jan 28, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

oh that table is meant to be demountable to travel. Its made from a 30" door, a piece of strap lumber min. 3.5" x 42" long, and 4no. k brackets

Jan 28, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

you guys are good. really cool stuff urrybody.

'philia, i love how there's a nearly empty bottle (what is that? rum?) on your work bench.

creativity requires fuel!

Jan 28, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

bottle of scotch + power tools = maiming

Jan 28, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

hence why I let other people do the cutting - I am the drunk designer

Jan 28, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i've shown these before here..but since the original post included paintings...here goes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larslarson/sets/72057594064688004/

Jan 28, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

Using doors (solid core) for all kinds of stuff is under-rated, and usually berated. I love em.

Jan 28, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i remember i made my first drafting table from a solid core door.

Jan 28, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

manamana, that coffee table is just so freakin' cool. Wow.

Jan 28, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

alright, here are a couple quick photos of the NOLA project. it was a professor/student initiated design-build project for an environmental community group. I was on board to help figure out the problems we ran into on site, on-the-fly detailing, helping out with fab work, and general management.

here we go!

^ exterior showing new paint, trim, etc. and the new side garden

^ side garden bench

^ new interior partition along with custom window and door work

^ shot of the large exterior deck. I'll look for something that shows the whole thing better

^ yours truly putting a 1/4" round on the benches.

Jan 28, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah, total work time was two weeks: one week over winter break and another week over spring break. I'm heading back down over the upcoming spring break with another group so perhaps I'll have more photos after that.

Jan 28, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: