Archinect
anchor

the love of creating with your own hands and the pleasure of sawdust

SandRoad

This thread also makes me want leave work early and build something.

Jan 31, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

The Wexler stuff IS awesome, John C. --am still looking at it, thanks...

Jan 31, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

ahh.. thanks SDR. I missed that small sliver of wood... makes sense. I would have probably tried to router the entire cut at once.. and ended up with an uneven surface in the end! These are the kind of tips that I hunger for... I just haven't built enough stuff to know/learn some of these seemingly novice techniques.

Jan 31, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

Actually I'm exaggerating... a jig for your portable router to cut lap joints is easy to make...

Jan 31, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

John, I think I've had to invent something every week for the last twenty years or so. Each job, large or small, seems to have in it somewhere a new challenge. We can learn from each other's experiences, for sure -- but problem-solving is still a solitary affair -- and a great pleasure, of course;

Jan 31, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

agreed, SDR. That is my exact facination with making...

Jan 31, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

lars:
on the dust collection front, a good HEPA-filtered shop vac works pretty well if you don't mind having to roll it around to whatever machine you're using. I've got a couple Feins in my shop (no permanent dust collection system for a variety of reasons) and they get the job done. I have a washable dust mask I keep around my neck about 90% of the time (but only use 20%) for the air-born particulate, along with a large air filter that I keep running all the time. Jet/Delta, etc also make a better quality wheeled filter.

on the downdraft table, there are plans for home-made ones - think i have an issue of Fine Woodworking with it in there, I'll dig around and see what I can find for you.

Jan 31, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

oh, does anyone else watch The Wood Whisperer? I don't keep up with them all the time, but occasionally I'll go back and check out the ones I've missed. Check 'em out if you haven't.

Jan 31, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

JC: no emails come through yet...

Jan 31, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

thanks pw.

i'm interested in installing some pvc tubing or the like so i can have a centralized system for him...he's 70 years old and i think the easier i make it for him the more likely he will be to use it.

but maybe it could also be just as easy as having two vacuums located one for each station. if you find the fine woodworking let me know what issue...i have them back for ten years or so.

Jan 31, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I found Titanium to make a good cabinet scraper, it's easier to polish than steel for some strange reson, and the edge will stand longer.

Jan 31, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Sounds good. I wonder if a metal supplier could provide a small rectangle of titanium sheet stock -- or does someone make a titanium cabinet scraper ?

The DeWalt planer I mentioned above has a fan at the exhaust to help with chip extraction, but a vacuum is still recommended.

Jan 31, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Lars:
Downdraft Sanding Table: FWW No. 153 (Winter 2001/2002 Tools and Shops), page 66

also of possible interest:
Dust Collection Demystified: FWW No. 188 (Winter 2006/2007 Tools and Shops), page 52.

Jan 31, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

thanks a lot pw. i'll check it out. wish i had the time to really put into reading all my fww's, but i don't have a shop at the moment so it's not at the top of the list. i'll check out those two articles though when i get home. thanks again.

Jan 31, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

no problem!

FWW never ceases to amaze me: no matter how thorough I think I read each issue, I always find new stuff when I reread them.

Jan 31, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Titanium ...Ebay

Jan 31, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i need my shop....like now......@#$%^

i gave up working in a garage on cold days........

looking for a person to team up with and split a studio in detroit.... 1200 sqft for $550 a month.....

Jan 31, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

for those not as savvy around the shop as these guys, i'll offer two little amateur projects.

in undergrad i used to go to the school shop and pull all the exotic wood scraps out of the junk bin that the more-wealthy-than-me kids threw in. i'd make models to help me define a project for myself: parti models, i guess you'd call 'em. i'd work through several iterations of them and when i got to what i wanted, that parti model stood as 'the goals' of the project, one against which i could test what i was doing in other media.

this one's for the cooking school i posted on the poche thread, sited in new orleans, two existing houses on the site:

this one's for a project sited in barcelona, just at the edge of the cerda grid, near miro park:

both made in 1990.

Feb 1, 08 7:01 am  · 
 · 
SandRoad

SDR -- the "portable router on site" mode made me think of other jig setups... one that's not necessarily all that uncommon, but that always fascinates me to use is the jig you can make to cut perfect ellipses. Maybe you've used them -- basically it uses two intersecting slots on a board in which a couple pivoting guides are connector to a radius piece of wood, and your router is attached at the end. Sure, you can buy them all over the place, but the first time I saw an older carpenter cut some archway framing with one of them he ahd made himself, I was pretty impressed.

Feb 1, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Nice, Steven. Your "toys" (in the best sense) remind me a bit of these wooden puzzles I found recently here http://www.geocities.com/ea1ii/news.htm

This last is one of a group known as "burrs."

SandRoad, I was amazed and delighted the first time I saw one of those "ellipse machines" -- and a light one make a good drawing tool, of course. Anything that produces a true ellipse (as opposed to a nasty approximation, or a two-big-arcs-and-two small-arcs bastard) is all right by me !

Feb 1, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

I did a couple puzzle-type things as a sort of exploration for a project I worked on recently. I was looking at giving a physical manifestation to a form of QR Code

here's some pics:

Feb 1, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

This don't picture much of the construction if this bold box, what you think is an interlockd box ,made from very thick MDF , it is not.
The thick sheet is made from two layers, not even symetric oatterns , but also there interlocking the basic cube volume, making the unasemble asemple, here sheet material mechanical sandwich assemble groves hidden ,for slicing the two layers all way around, perfect an invisible lock in lock, to install an Epoxy prepared Black dye.

It is a speaker box variable volume prepared the template routered holes.

Feb 1, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Bottom is plate interlocked so it is the start of the puzzle.

Feb 1, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Pixel -- too cool. Wish I could see more. When QR appeared I made a quick sketch in my book to record the occasion -- I assumed it would augment or replace bar code ? One could spend a lifetime in the world of the checkerboard raster. . .

stationery-store stamp-pads and rubber-eraser stamps

Feb 1, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Per -- a picture's worth a thousand words -- can you show it disassembled ?

Feb 1, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Per -- a picture's worth a thousand words -- can you show it disassembled ?

Feb 1, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Basicly this box prove 3dh can be sandwich to build in a standard thickness sheet, allowing the groves be as wide as the sheet is thick prepare this to happen , what a few spots of glue can prepare then ,is a stong box.

Feb 1, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Guess I has a few foto's stored from that periode, yes maybe why.

Feb 1, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

If you ask if it could disasemble now, -- no this was not the intension ,

Feb 1, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

I'm trying to reserve a corner of one of my rooms only for things made by people I know (or by me). This is a great thread, and I love the stories.

This is for sketching/rendering while standing up. It was made out of the trunk of an apricot tree that rained down golden discs in November. But no apricots.

Feb 1, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Love the prisma holder in the background.

Feb 1, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Prismacolor to Giraffe: "Is that a branch in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me ?"

Feb 1, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Quite cool, actually, O and T -- keep 'em coming !

Per, your description made the speaker box seem quite complex, but was not easy to understand -- perhaps a photo of the parts would explain it best ?

Feb 1, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Bwahahahaha. Thanks.

Feb 1, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

I am going to be personal as well and show you all the bed I designed...hopefully with puppy on top

Feb 1, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

lars i am deeply inspired by your portraiture.

Feb 1, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larslarson/sets/72057594064688004/

Yeah -- aren't they good ? Me likum.

Feb 1, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Per, your description made the speaker box seem quite complex, but was not easy to understand -- perhaps a photo of the parts would explain it best ?"

Yes I guess so I se if they can be found, old hardisks....
But think of it like this, that the bottom plate could not be locked into an all round grove with the sides the full thickness, case you placed in the groves of two opposite sides, it would not pass thru the other two when the sides and bottom are slided in place, only dividing the four sides into eight make this possible, the last piece in lock the puzzle , but most important it expand 3dh and the speaker are rock solid ask two to be carried safe, bside it also prove that Epoxy are perfect woakable with cabinet scrapers and as fit as shellac esp with steel wool that leave it with the most exiting finish. Also -- two templates was drawn in AutoCAD, then offset for copy flange distance ,and the eight sides then routered from the templates.
It took near two liter Epoxy to drown it, but the result are interesting MDF become as hard as rock that way , --just the sound when you knock it you know instantly.

Feb 1, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Cool -- now I get it. So, two interesting developments in one piece -- the construction, and the finish. "New wine for new skins," to abuse an old saying. Well done. I'll keep that coating in mind (I like "drown" !). Isn't epoxy a lot more expensive than the best paint ? "Sounds" like it was worth it for the acoustics, in this case ?

Feb 1, 08 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

bossman and sdr.

glad you like the work and thanks for the kind words. painting has been a nice refuge after difficult, semi-tedious, often uncreative days of architecture...
that and furniture design, carpentry and other interests. always nice to have creative outlets.

Feb 1, 08 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yup. No sense in putting all your oeuvres in one basket. . .

Feb 1, 08 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm an artist in my freetime as well, although not as prolific as you are. i can always respect someone who has the right combination of desire and talent. it can be hard to find one thing that will inspire you once, much less continously for any length of time.

Feb 2, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

What an excellent collection of stuff, here, made in a variety of of materials, including food ! Lots of interesting stories, too. I missed asking about some of the earlier entries, including the garden shed and the hoverbox. Is it too late to learn more about the history of those projects ?

Feb 2, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

lars, your portraits are amazing. the quality and quantity of your work is inspiring.

Here's my shade

Feb 4, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Glass, melted plastic six-pack carriers, or something in between ? Spooky. . .

Feb 4, 08 1:02 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

hot glue. but I need to use a non-incandescent bulb or else it starts deforming.

Feb 4, 08 1:09 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

did you make the base as well ckl? both the shade and base are nice... i've had quite a few ideas for lamps, but never tried to make them. how was the above made?

Feb 4, 08 1:10 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

you hadn't answered yet when i asked my question...
i wonder if there's a way of forming that and making it out of a non-melting material...

Feb 4, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

no, I had the base and I just needed a shade.
I used a glass bowl as support and made one layer of poured hot glue on it. then i cut the shape in half so I could remove it. then I put the halves together and layered more hot glue on it. you can't see the seam but I had to freeze it every once in a while so it would keep its shape.

I think once you have a shape you get obtain a mold and pour something more permanent in it

Feb 4, 08 1:21 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Kool. . .

Feb 4, 08 1:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: