Archinect
anchor

architecture in the spanish speaking world

keopi

So I'm looking to locate to a spanish-speaking country, and am especially interested in Buenos Aires (and Argentina), Mexico, Uruguay, Chile, and Mexico. Spain's a second choice, but still a choice. I say those countries because they're the ones I know anything about but if there's something rad happening in Bolivia I'll go there, too.

Any South American/Latin American/Spanish archinecters who can suggest any firms or projects done by firms that I can check out are welcome!

Cultural notes?
Job-seeking notes?
Firm databases?
Other people interested in working south of the U.S. too?

Muchas gracias ~keopi

Jan 21, 08 6:43 pm
Antisthenes

EZLN

Jan 21, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

We may have a full time position in Colombia and in Ecuador. Our base is in SF so you'd be an independent designer in the field.

C.

Jan 21, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
some person

keopi: when Cameron calls, you had best answer.

Jan 21, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Barcelona is a really great place to work in architecture. It is tough though since there are so many architects. Very fun and interesting city. I worked there for 3 months a couple of years ago and it was hard to leave.

Jan 23, 08 1:58 am  · 
 · 
Medit

^ but don't forget that Barcelona is in the "catalan speaking world" as well (or mostly)

Jan 23, 08 5:37 am  · 
 · 
nRyArch

Yes...but I was able to work there for 3 months not knowing any Catalan and very little Spanish. If you know some spanish than you can do it if I did.

Jan 23, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 
keopi

what firm did you work at? or dare I ask..

Jan 23, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
nRyArch

I actually worked for http://arquitectes.coac.net/6tn/ but then I was able to go over to a bigger office in the city center and work on a large stadium project. Living and working in Spain was one of the best experiences of my life.

Jan 23, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

problem with barcelona is exactly that, too many architects around...so the salaries are not the best ones... but yes is one of the best and most inspiring environments i had worked at, and also great vibe of the city and the co-workers....

and then u can check this 2 posts in archinect

one in the discussions (with a list of young and upcoming mexican firms):
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=69841_0_42_0_C

another one in the JOBS section:
http://archinect.com/jobs/description.php?id=70379_0_30_0_C

and as Medit mentioned BCN being part of the "catalan speaking world", i have to ask this:

do u consider L.A. and Miami to be part of the "spanish speaking world"?? hehehehe....

Jan 24, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

Wow, I wonder how I missed those posts, I did searches before creating this thread, I guess the title threw me off. and the first international post by a spanish speaking firm that i could find was posted yesterday ! things are on the up and up.

By spanish speaking world I mean places where the language is mostly spanish, including the government. I'm trying to get out of the U.S...... Everyone I know from barcelona speaks spanish also and I never had problems getting around there before. : )

Jan 24, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
nRyArch

BCN!!!! DO IT!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!!!!!

Jan 24, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
ddem

im a graduate architect from Melbourne in Australia. i m also interested in working in the spanish speaking world. i spent some time in uruguay and argentina and are both wonderful places. In Uruguay there are many architects so jobs tend to be few and low paid. on the other hand its a good place with great people and a relaxed attitude to life.

Im not sure about the job situation in Buenos Aires but architecturally
its brilliant.

Feb 11, 08 4:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: