Archinect
anchor

Resume / cv / portfolio /cover letter - how would you clarify ?

pablic

Hi all,

I am getting right now super confused. 

Last year I have applied for an 6 month internship in europe and I got the positive replies from  60% of  offices (applied to around 130).

I have been sending the companies my application through the email - the cover letter was written in the mail and portfolio with CV were attached as a single PDF file. Since I got maybe too self-confident now I didn't get any replies from new york offices where I am applying right now.

I have noticed that usually US companies demand :  resume, cover letter ,cv and portfolio.

scheme of my application looked like one year ago - cover letter in email and portfolio with CV in one PDF file ( CV was just after the portfolio cover ).

Can someone please clarify the difference between resume ,cv etc and what am i doing wrong ? :)

thanks for help!

best regards

Mar 24, 13 6:38 pm
poop876

simple google resume vs. cv will give you many results!

Mar 24, 13 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

From Alison Doyle, on the web: "The primary differences between a resume and a curriculum vitae (CV) are the length, what is included and what each is used for. A resume is a one or two page summary of your skills, experience and education. While a resume is brief and concise - no more than a page or two, a curriculum vitae is a longer (at least two page) and more detailed synopsis.
A curriculum vitae includes a summary of your educational and academic backgrounds as well as teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations and other details. In Europe, the Middle East, Africa, or Asia, employers may expect to receive a curriculum vitae.

In the United States, a curriculum vitae is used primarily when applying for academic, education, scientific or research positions. It is also applicable when applying for fellowships or grants."

Mar 24, 13 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
pablic

so my one page cv which I included in my portfolio =  resume in USA? 

i think i will change the name and DONE ;)

Mar 24, 13 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That sounds about right.  Good luck...

Mar 24, 13 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
pablic

however ,there is one more thing that intrigues me :

'please email a cover letter, resume and work samples, 
in a single PDF'

I used to write cover letter in email but I have noticed that many US offices demand 

cover letter in a single PDF with the rest of material. How long should that kind of cover letter be ? Do you have any advices in this kind of situation?

Mar 24, 13 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
pablic

aaaaand just last question 

if iam doing single pdf, where should be the cover letter? Just right after the cover, as the second page ?

Mar 25, 13 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen
  1. Cover letter length (at this stage in your career) = 1 page maximum (single-spaced)
  2. Order of your documents = order in which potential employer lists them in instructions
Mar 25, 13 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: