Archinect
anchor

How hard is it to get a job in graphic design with a degree in BS Architecture?

endsintheocean

i recently qualified for the BS Architecture program and I'd like to know how wide the job opportunities for architecture is.

how hard would it be for someone with this degree to get a job doing advertising arts, packaging design, branding design, and the like? 

pleease help! 

Mar 24, 13 4:09 pm
zonker

When I was a graphic Design student at San Jose State, one of my professors was an ex architect and a very good graphic designer as head of corporate graphic design for Raychem in a building now occupied by FaceBook. Sure do it - architecture education is a great foundation for graphic design. The only difference might be the software - then again maybe not - architects and graphic designers use illustrator. The key difference would be web design knowledge.

Mar 24, 13 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sure if you know the needed software and have a solid portfolio (in that field) you'll have a shot.

Mar 24, 13 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

A job? Not that hard.

A job at a good company? Very hard. Even students from top graphics programs often wind up having to settle for something 2nd rate.

Mar 24, 13 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Quite possible. You could work at the crossover of 2d and 3d with a packaging design firm. I've done plenty of freelancing in that realm, and it has to full time job offers. I use my Rhino + V-Ray skills with them, as well as Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign.

Mar 25, 13 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

One of my pet peeves is when people say "architects can to anything."   The problem is that after you graduate you'll be competing with people who have spent the past 4 years studying that exact subject.  You'll also have to convince firms that you won't bolt for an architecture job in a year.

Since architecture graduates are generally pretty smart there are a lot of them who've decided to do something else and are successful.  If you want a job in advertising or packaging, don't waste time in an architecture program. (not really "wasted" time, but not the most efficient use of time either)

Mar 26, 13 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

best to go to a school that specializes in graphic design such as AAU 

http://www.academyart.edu/

these people are pretty sharp and an architect would be hard pressed to compete with them in graphic design - having done so myself

Mar 26, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: