Archinect
anchor

Top 5 projects in US/Canada in last two year?

lifeform

what are your top 5?

(in no order)
1. Seattle Library - OMA
2. Knowlton School of Architecture - Scogin.Elam
3. Simmons Hall - Steven Holl
4. Disney Concert Hall - Gehry
5. IIT - OMA

Sep 8, 04 9:34 pm
lola

What about:

de Young Museum - Herzog de Mueron
Stata Center - Frank Gehry ... (but i havent seen it)

Sep 9, 04 11:46 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

well.... i thought Williams & Tsien Folk Art Museum (@ NYC) was designed best building of the northern american region 1 or 2 years ago...so where is it???

I personaly like that building....Simmons Hall (by Holl) i think its overated, i liked it more in sketches and in pictures than actually there, and Disney Concert Hall?? haven't we gone thru that "pos-modernism-like" experssions??? anyway Disney's is just a cheap copy of Bilbao's (and i personally think that Ghery preffers also Bilbao than Disney's...and he had said it... clients after Bilbao seemed all to want the same building).

I also like the Seattle Library...

so my votes go to Folk art Museum @ NYC (by Williams & Tsien)
and the Seattle Library by Rem (and Pitt?? hehehehe)

Sep 9, 04 11:50 am  · 
 · 
superman

I'll throw in the OCAD addition by Alsop and the ROM addition by Libeskind for Canada's sake.. can't think of anything else off the top of my sleepy head

Sep 9, 04 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

What about on the West Coast? LA? SF?

Sep 9, 04 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

There is excellent coverage on the Seattle Library in the recent Architectural Review. It really is one of the most important buildings in recent times.

Question, why are you limiting this discussion to the US/Canada?

Sep 9, 04 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Moneo's Cathedral????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sep 9, 04 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
cyphonics

Morphosis Caltrans Bldg in LA

Sep 9, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

Is Moneo's Cathedral no good? Has anyone seen or taken pics of this project in the flesh?

Sep 14, 04 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
sewage

I have but it's not developed yet.

Sep 14, 04 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

That morposis building is shaping up to be a real eye sore - its brutal to its context and moody like the Death Star. The Moneo is good, i think it could bump the Steven Holl off the list up there.

Sep 14, 04 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
weave

the porter house by SHoP is up there on my list...
i think the rest have been mentioned...

i've heard the moneo cathedral is great, but definately not one of his best...

Sep 14, 04 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Fort Worth Modern by Ando?

Sep 14, 04 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
cyphonics

I think the most appealing aspect of the morphosis building is that it IS "brutal to the context." The building is so massive that from a distance (and in pictures) it's really hard to judge the scale of the thing. If you're in the area, you really should get out and walk around the almost finished building. The giant "100" they erected further disrupts any sort of context.

Sep 14, 04 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I live near the moneo cathedral and have been their several times; I think its one of the best projects to be built in the u.s. for some time. Inside is amazing. Virtuoso use of lighting and materials.

I think the Caltrans building is a train wreck. I can't believe this is coming after Diamond Ranch, which was pretty amazing. But someone, help me out:

What the hell is the point of that imposing bar hanging under the part of the building that cantilevers out over the street (for no good reason)?

Why is the 100 so frickin' big?

Why does the plaza only have about a 3' swath of the scrim folding out over it (held up by massive concrete piers) instead of the whole thing? Value engineering?

Sep 14, 04 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

its a shame there r no housing projects considered as one of the best of the year...what is that?? lack of interests by architects?? lack of good architects?? or just lack of interest from developers to h¿get a good architect???

Sep 14, 04 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

Actually, Saitowitz' new project in SF is noteworthy ...

but on the whole this is where America and Europe are night and day. There is no public housing authority willing to take 'risks' on quality architecture. There is even competition amongst the countries to assert influence on quality in public housing projects, through ventures like Europan. The blame in the US resides more with policy making and close-minded beauracratic developers.

There must be some good quiet projects emerging out of the midwest or someone in little pockets of America ... what about Rick Joy, Vincent James? there must be some unknown kick-ass projects out there in last couple years.

Sep 14, 04 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Moneo's Cathedral is great, except for the catacombs...WTF???????

Sep 15, 04 8:13 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

The lack of quality large scale housing in the States has a lot to do with the size of project - since public agencies rarely ever commission this type of work, mostly they fall to public/private partnerships run by very savvy developers. Having worked in a design firm for a well regarded developer (adored here in LA) I would say that even they were far more interested in making their pro forma as "robust" as possible than creating good dwellings or urban spaces.

Love Moneo's cathedral on the inside - it is regrettable that the exterior is so.... Caltrans like. The fortress aesthetic was quite prescient what with all the trouble the Catholic church has gotten itself into in this country.

Sep 15, 04 10:48 am  · 
 · 
spandaxe

totally disagree with #5, IIT. that building is a piece of crap rotting in the rain already...

Nov 8, 04 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Kadam- F

To MAD..

From my understanding, Disney was intially designed before Billboa, wasn't it?

Nov 8, 04 12:57 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

i'm not so sure what to think of the Caltrans building anymore either, now that more of it is going up. i think i liked its skeleton better. we'll see i guess.

Nov 8, 04 1:47 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

i still think the guggenheim in nyc is pretty damn cool. i know this is a top 5 list for hte past two years, but hey- i only visited the guggenheim for the first time within the last year.

Nov 8, 04 1:49 am  · 
 · 
psychotropism

my top 7 seattle, in no order:

OMA library
Holl's St. Ignatius chapel at Seattle U. (must see if you visit)
Pike Street Market, for it's continued shirking of corporate america
Condos by Johnston Architects in Fremont
New City Hall by LMN, almost complete.
SOM-designed Weyerhauser building, which won the 25-year award a few years back
Fisher Pavilion is a good concept as well

how bout some other cities?

Nov 8, 04 2:12 am  · 
 · 
stall-it

Just to put Canada on the map of this discussion...these are a few projects to consider:

1. Trent University (Ontario). Ron Thom
2. National Library of Quebec (Montreal). Patkau Architects
3. Museum of Anthropology (Vancouver). Arthur Erickson
4. Grande Prairie Regional College (Grand Prairie, Alberta). Douglas Cardinal
5. SkyTrain Millenium Project (Vancouver). Various Architects
6. New Sheppard Metro Line (Toronto).

Nov 8, 04 10:51 am  · 
 · 
A

Anything by SHoP - challenge the rules.

Nov 8, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 
ryan.keerns

CAC - Zaha in Cincy
Rec Center - Mayne - U of Cincy
sculpture garden - Piano - dallas

Nov 8, 04 11:16 am  · 
 · 
A

the McMansion

Nov 8, 04 11:30 am  · 
 · 
graspin

what about this condo we worked on in scarborough? i mean, it was boss!!! cornices and shit all around, and our banding was dope!
to top it all off, we picked a colour pallete of beige! man...my life can suck sometimes!

Nov 18, 04 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Moneo Cathedral leaves people hot and cold. I went with a group of grad students and some loved it, some thought it wasn't churchy enough. I was transfixed, but then, I'm a fan. (Catacombs was 'by others' by the way.) Everyone loved the concert hall, however, especially the way you can circumnavigate the building on the upper walkway.

I was never a Zaha fan until visiting the Cincinnati CAC. It somehow manages to be spatially complex and admirably simple (not show-offy) at the same time. Tactility of materials and use of light is great. And the ideas she has claimed drove the project are visible immediately upon entry (even to those that haven't heard her - I tested this).

Some shameless promotion of my area: William McDonough's almost-complete Visitor's Center at the Bernheim Forest near Louisville is beautiful. Don't miss it if you're ever nearby. (Only about an hour from Cincinnati: CAC and all the happ'nin projects on the UC campus.)

Nov 18, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
o+

...as a nerd aside.....

..when you compare Disney, Moneo's cathedral and CalTrans, you must realize the cost/sq.ft dynamics as well. when you take the severe budget limitations into account, CalTrans looks a lot better (disney and moneo's cathedral had on the order of 10+ times more budget to deal with, which is huge in architecture).

Nov 18, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
construct

the cathedral is very nice, i thought. why is gehry even considered? the ando museum in fort worth is a huge let down i thought, some nice points, but thats it...his museum in st louis, however, is wonderful. i heard a couple years ago that zumthor was commisioned to do a building in the US...does anyone else know what came of that?

Nov 18, 04 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Gehry may not be a favorite, but I can't see dismissing him out of hand. Who else can do this right now? Architects are getting more recognitions because of work like this.

Gehry's Vontz Center at University of Cincinnati, however, is much more interesting to me, and it's nestled nicely into a landscape by George Hargreaves.

Nov 18, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Of the 5 posted, I have seen only 1 in person... IIT in chicago. It's a beautiful building, but I really don't think I would compare it to disney or the Seattle library, both of which are of a much larger scale.

I agree with the 3rd poster about NYC's Folk Art Museum... it's a beautifully designed building inside and out. My only criticism is in the area of circulation. You enter, get to the top, and have to go down the same stairs you came up.

To add to the list... the NYC "shops on columbus circle" by David Childs is a modernist building with clean lines and a lot of class.

And.. Santiago Calatrava's Milwaukee art museum is a beautiful sculputral form, pushing the limits of engineering with the operative wings, but grossly overbudget, expensive to maintain, and a poor layout. It's still nice to look at though. This may be 3 years old already, but close enough...

Nov 18, 04 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd give Moneo's cathedral a 3 out of 10. The acoustics aren't good and it feels small, considering it's mass. Also, there is this peculiar echo that captures all the traffic (which is next to it and down about two stories) - it's a cantileverd wing, sound goes up, hits it, then back to you. Wild, really, because you don't hear it anywhere else on the plaza. Horrible choice of colors, it's all a drab med stucco yellow stuff. Even the wood on the ceiling looks like the stone on the walls, why bother with expensive stuff if it looks ugly?? maybe 2 out of 10.

Disney - 7 out of 10 - someone said it was a copy of Bilbao above, nope, it came first

Gehry's Performing Arts center in NY, I forget the school it's at - 8 of 10

Seattle Library - 7 out of 10 - I have to admit I like some parts of it, and it's important if only because Rem got something huge built that will stand for OMA (I am not a fan, if you haven't gathered).

Scogin and Bray's houses - 9.5 out of 10 - particularly that guest house for a house they did a while ago, pure master piece

Libeskind's Denver Museum, 7 of 10 - I love it, although I think it could have fit the context a little better and still kept the drama.

I don't think people are limiting this to 1-2 years (the Folk Art Museum is at least 2-3 yrs old, I was there 2 years ago, great work), Calatrava's Milwaukee museum is up there, but older than that.

Nov 19, 04 9:29 am  · 
 · 

Gehry in NY is at Bard College I'm pretty sure.

It's amazing how different our takes on the Moneo Cathedral can be but, hey, that's whay we're all in this game isn't it?

Nov 19, 04 11:18 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yup, that's the one. Never been, but I hope to go soon.

Really? You liked the cathedral? I suppose it fit, almost like an abstracted McMansion. It just seemed like a one liner to me, so much cash for something that seems like it was done quickly. Just my opinion, of course.

I'd like to add Meier's Church in Rome (it was the church for the yr 2000, but that is long gone, I forget what they call it now). That turned out to be incredible, imo, maybe one of his best works.

And you liked Hadid's museum? Wow, it is funny. I am a HUGE hadid fan, but have only seen the Vitra Fire Station. Glad to hear someone liked it alot. I always tell people that haven't been in one of Gehry's buildings that it'll turn you - it's about the space, light, and materials.

Nov 19, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

I would put Folk Art near the top of my list. It's neighbor, which I think opens tomorrow, looks as though it might be one of the best works in the past couple of years, but this judgement is only made from sneeking around the construction site as much as possible. Zaha's CAC has conceptual clarity as well as some complex and beautiful spaces and is powerful in this regard. It does however suffer from sever limitations in the detailing and materiality which to my mind causes the project to not meet the expectations one would have for a great building. Ghery's Vontz Center at UC is nothing more than a poor variation on a theme and it leaks horribly. That parasite-esque building by SHOP is quite interesting, never been in it though. No comments on Rem or Moneo, Morphosis at UC, last I saw it, was looking quite slick.

Nov 19, 04 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

sorry, for clarification, Folk Art's neighbor is MoMa and the SHOP bldg is that black box over near the meatpacking area of manhattan 9th ave and 15 or 16th or something. oops!

Nov 19, 04 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

aeaa: I admit that some of the detailing at the CAC has a decidedly 'rugged' character, but I didn't think it detracted. I kind of get a kick out of knowing that the step ramps were made by a roller coaster manufacturer - it allows me to forgive the unground welds.

Gehry's Vontz IS a variation on a theme. Wish all my variations could require the invention of a new way of detailing. The panels of brick framed by angles is a slick solution and the window resolution is so admirably simple and sophisticated. Never heard about the leaks and didn't see any damage when I visited this summer.

Nov 19, 04 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
j lotus

thought I would mention a few residential projects

- Colorado House , Telluride . ARO
- Shaw House, Vancouver . Patkau Architects
- Weathering Steel House, Toronto . Shim Sutcliffe Architects

and also wanted to note

- American Folk Art Museum, NYC . TWBTA
- Dia: Beacon, Beacon NY . artist Robert Irwin with Open Office

Nov 19, 04 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

j lotus - so you liked the Dia:Beacon building? I tried to go last summer, but it was too far. I'll try to make the extra effort if the building si nice too.

Nov 19, 04 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Anyone beein in the Prada store in NYC? I think that deserves to be on the list too. It's not everywhere that you see electrophomorphic glass.... only other place for me was at the CHI AIA convention. Thoughts anyone?

Nov 19, 04 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
o+

1: disney: how can you not love an obscenely shiny, expensive and extravegant mound of metal?

2: patkau's new library: (bibliothech national de quebec) simple, stunning, beautiful.

3: seattle public library: it's god awful ugly and looks like several campershells off a pickup stacked on top of each other, but it works somehow.

4: science center school: morphosis: redefining what 'historic preservation' should really mean

5: IIT chicago: i don't know how OMA gets such good press just re-branding mies, but hey, there's worse people to re-brand, right?

Nov 19, 04 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
aml

tim: electrochromic glass was in toilettes at bar 89? 59? forget the number somewhere in downtown manhattan, a couple of years before the famed prada store changing rooms. rem probably had some martinis there and found inspiration when nature called. the electrochromic glass is well used, also, it activates only when you lock the door. nothing else in the bar is worth mentioning.

Nov 21, 04 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
j lotus

trace - if you enjoy subtle architectural moves, specific detailing and natural materials then I think you would like Dia: Beacon. Plus, the building used to be a Nabisco Cracker Factory, and the internal volumes, the long linear lines and vistas created are quite amazing.

Nov 22, 04 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
sam sung

I would add Jennifer Siegal's Brewery Complex residence in L.A.to the top of the list (although I must admit I've only seen it in pictures) for its radical rethinking of the way of making architecture out of found elements and mobile shipping containers. She pulled off the radical leap with true aplomb. I see in the pictures spatial complexity and well resolved details. All of the other buildings people have mentioned are normal, conventionally constructed stay in place buildings. I would argue it is the Robert Venturi's Mother's House, Frank Gehry' own Santa Monica bungalow remodel, or Philip Johnson's Glass House, of our era.

Nov 22, 04 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
lola
dia:beacon
Nov 22, 04 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

aml, you are right, It was used in Bar 89. you're also right about it not being anything extraordinary. When I was there a few weeks ago I remember thinking that we have better designed bars here in Milwaukee. It's vanilla at best (color of the interior even says it)

Nov 23, 04 1:16 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

I don't like IIT student center designed by OMA. IT is an arrogant and brutal building. Its exterior image is totally insane, the reason to build a student center in IIT

Nov 24, 04 10:28 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

I don't like IIT student center designed by OMA. IT is an arrogant and brutal building. Its exterior image is totally insane, the reason to build a student center in IIT is not just provide a meeting place for IIT students, but also provide a new image for the downsizing school. The center's tube is so brutally connected with the rest of the building. They are almost totally seperated without any connection to each other. Well, REM can say it is a Chaos building, we don't mind such a building having seperated connected components. I just don't agree with Rem's theory at all.

Their interior experience is nice though.

Nov 24, 04 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: