Archinect
anchor

stating Acad proficiency

.dwg

i have no yet worked in a professional setting using autocad but am applying to positions that will be. as of now i have only used acad for school and portfolio purposes. i was just wondering when someone can actually call themselves 'proficient in autocad' when writing about your skills in a resume/CV/cover letter. what commands and procedures must one know to be known as 'proficient'?

trim? ln? xrefs? offset? 3d? how many skills?? i feel that there is always more to learn.

Sep 8, 04 10:28 am
instrumentOFaction

i think anyone here with Construction Document experience w/ Acad will agree with you .dwg...'there is always more to learn'.

if your CV/resume lists your professional experience, the interviewer should be able to surmise you have no 'practical' experience with any computer program you list. i like the verbage of 'proficient', but if you'd like to be specific and address the issue, might i suggest something like this:

'design proficiency in Autocad R#'.

you and the interviewer both know the extent to which students use the programs, and how that's different from Design Documents and Construction Documents. You can always creatively state in your cover letter that you look forward to experience in this area, if the job you are applying for will include these tasks. Bottom Line in resume/CV/cover letters...be perfectly honest. Good luck in your job search!

Sep 8, 04 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
archiphreak

i had this same problem at the beginning of the year when i began sending out my resume. i found that the simplest and most direct way to approach this was to simply write

Experience:
Autocad 2002 3 years experience
Autocad 2000i 2 years experience
...and so on and so on. this eliminated the need to define myself as "proficient" or some other such adjective. though instruments suggestion is also valid. however you decide to describe your abilitites just make sure it's simple and straightforward.

Sep 8, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: