Archinect
anchor

Portfolio : Prices and Advices

eoghanhedalton

So, I spent quite a while making a portfolio of my best projects from my years in school, and I had it printed at an online publisher. Although some of the images came out a bit pixelated the quality is very high, and the people I have shown it to have been impressed.

I am tired of sending emails looking for employment, because I don't feel like I stand out. I feel that if I am truly going to make an impression, I have to really make people remember my work and me (not be another email). I have had some interviews using the email approach, but I feel like I will be more succesful by going directly to agencies. This could mean that I need to print off a lot of these portfolios. Maybe 10-15, and they are about 13 euros a piece plus taxes and delivery. The portfolio is a bit long, but no one seems to be bored when looking at it. I'm really proud of this work, but I also feel like this price may be a bit excessive.

My question is:

-Do you believe this approach is better, when compared with an online/pdf portfolio?

Here is a link to my online work: http://www.i-m.co/ehedalton/works/

-What is an average price to spend on a portfolio? Should I try to make a cheaper/smaller version?

-Any other portfolio advice? Making your candidature as strong as possible.

Mar 11, 13 3:15 pm

wow. 13 euros is really cheap. where are you printing from? I've used blurb in europe which costed about 36 euro per book (about 50-60 pages). Ive used local print shops in various countries which can run $45-$100 per portfolio. Can't get any cheaper than 13 euro. 

As far as to email or snail mail.... up to you. Obviously snail mail could help. That said, I have landed many job interviews and the jobs I've had via email submissions. 

Where are you trying to find work? competing in the houston market is not difficult. to be honestly blunt... if its the NYC/Paris/London/Berlin type of markets, you need more sex in your work. The drawings look nice and controlled, but they are not eye catching enough. and they do not compete well with others out there. I hope you aren't using any of your work from Griffin's studio. Second year projects are great learning curves, but that is all they are. Learn from them and dump them. Kill your darlings. If you need more work for your portfolio, do some competitions. When I was fresh out of undergrad, I only used my 4th and 5th year projects and one 3rd year project in my portfolio. 4 years out, I only use two projects. Learn some new software and do some amazing renderings or drawings of the projects you already have. Thats what you are missing. 

Sorry to sound harsh. You can ask your own reference, Donna, about my credintials. Im sure she'll tell you to listen to me. If you need any help, feel free to email. I like helping coogs out. Especially in Europe. 

Mar 11, 13 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

can we see your portfolio James ^^

Mar 11, 13 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Since I recently put together my portfolio and am still searching for work I cannot comment much on content but in terms of price I would say anything around $50 is pretty average. 

I decided to assemble my portfolio myself and spent about $30 on materials. I had the printing done at Office Depot for $25. I've used them over the years because they seem to be one of the few places who can print double sided on card stock without many issues. Quality is better than some printing places in Dallas and right on par with the others. 

Total cost was around $55 not including all the hours I put into it and the gas I spent driving all over the city looking for materials. 

Our approach is different of course but I managed to create a custom portfolio that not many would take the effort to replicate. The idea is to stand out from the rest and I feel like my portfolio does that. I won't be delivering or handing it out to anyone but when I bring it to my interviews I can present it to them and the process of putting it together. 

Cost shouldn't really be such a huge issue. If you have good work and you're confident in landing a good job with your portfolio then I would say splurge on some well designed booklets and make the best of it. 

Mar 11, 13 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
eoghanhedalton

Thank You for your advice. I've been using lulu, and I've kept my booklets to 9 X 7 size. I suppose 13 euros isn't so bad, and yes, it could use some tweaking. 

Mar 12, 13 11:50 am  · 
 · 
pixelsquare

What about a web app, you send your portfolio url to your contact, and you show it offline too on your iPad

If someone is interested by one of your projects, he can flash the QR code to directly see it and save it on his smartphone 

Look at this one http://deniot.tabfolio.me

And start with a free account on http://www.tabfolio.me

Mar 17, 13 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
washingtonian

If you're going to use snail mail, or physically drop off submissions, why not create a short 5 or-so page work samples packet? You could do that very nicely and cheaply and still stand out that way.

Mar 17, 13 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: