Archinect
anchor

Architects, how do you see yourselves? Artists? Engineers? Master builders?

observant

I see myself as the exact midpoint between an artist and an engineer.  I wanted to be schooled that way.  I like to work that way, to the greatest extent possible.

The only branch of engineering that could have been feasible, in terms of staying awake, was civil/structural, but it wouldn't have been the best marriage.  I would take art classes and felt I had nothing in common with the people in there - people doing it because family wealth allowed that major, tortured artists, and housewives who "did" art like mucky mucks "do" lunch if in a night class.

The midpoint for me.  How about you?  Students also encouraged to answer.

Mar 7, 13 2:21 pm
gwharton

I see myself mostly as a kind of grandiose tailor, clothing and outfitting people's lives, relationships, and experiences rather than their bodies.

Architecture is a craft, not an art, but it can be done artfully.

Mar 7, 13 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i see myself as fortunate to be employed.  where did you go to school observant?

Mar 7, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I see myself as a Doctor! my patients are sick buildings and landscapes that require diagnosing the problem, by framing and providing a clear yet affordable yet magical moments of G of E (Alex Perez Gomez) for the delight of all........ =)

Then i wake up to calculate and provide steel construction estimates =(

Mar 7, 13 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Hobo with a shotgun here.

Mar 7, 13 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

a (parametric) shell of a human being with a frigid black (philip johnson style) void where my soul should be.

Mar 7, 13 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

surely you can add a "color" or "material" parameter to your soul?  just because all the other architects wear black souls doesn't mean you have to.

Mar 7, 13 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

Are you a spiritually strong tailor that makes old women cry?

Mar 7, 13 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

Negative, i am a meat popsicle

Mar 7, 13 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

gwharton ++

My father used to say that he was nothing more than a glorified tailor.

I tend to think of myself as a craftsman tasked with solving largely meaningless problems.

I guess they are pretty much one and the same.

Mar 7, 13 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i solve problems

Mar 7, 13 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

My father used to say that he was nothing more than a glorified tailor.

My father wasn't glorified at all.  He WAS a tailor! 

Mar 7, 13 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Part sous chef, part proctologist here, with a smidge of dog walker....

Mar 7, 13 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
bindunarayan

In my opinion, to be a successful architecture, you should have all the desirable qualities of  an artist, an engineer, and a master builder. I would like to view myself as an architect, who have the right mix of the key traits of these 3 different professions i.e. artist, engineer, and master builder.

Mar 7, 13 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

One word: Craftsperson.

Mar 8, 13 4:21 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Inventor!

Mar 8, 13 9:35 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

citizen: Part sous chef, part proctologist here, with a smidge of dog walker....

i.e. part subservient designer, part forensic engineer/inspector,part client pacifier?

Mar 9, 13 6:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: