Archinect
anchor

Found a design duplicate.. Should I tell the partner?

low tide low

Hello!

I am recently hired as an intern at a small architecture firm. Our firm's founder/partner recently made a quick design of a residence for marketing images and I believe the house is listed "for sale" by a realtor.  I have recently come across a rendering of a house designed by another firm that is very similar to that partner's design. This project is either constructed or much further along. I do not know enough about the projects to compare the two in other ways, but the facade and front layout seem to be almost mirror images. Proportions and materials are a bit different (a bit), and there are unique elements in each, but the similarity is undeniable. Is this something he should know (if he doesn't already)? I know each person will react differently to this situation, but I'm just fishing for opinions or for those who have experienced similar situations. 

Thanks!

Mar 6, 13 11:10 am

When in doubt, keep your mouth shut.

Mar 6, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I agree with keeping your mouth shut. You don't know that your principal isn't the one ripping of the design anyways.

Mar 6, 13 11:36 am  · 
 · 
stone

As I see it, you have little - if anything - to gain by discussing this topic with your boss -- and a lot to lose if he takes your comments the wrong way. 

Mar 6, 13 11:40 am  · 
 · 
low tide low

Thanks! I guess that's the safe route. Can't be reprimanded for not knowing about it. 

Mar 6, 13 11:42 am  · 
 · 
zonker

When in doubt, keep your mouth shut.

Yes - I once worked for a firm where I was assigned to work on  a skyscraper in China that was identical to the one I worked at from a previous firm - I kept my mouth shut - the work was easy having done it before.

Mar 6, 13 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

too bad you didn't keep a back-up from your previous firm xenakis.  could have been even easier!

Mar 6, 13 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I helped with a design for an architect that he blatantly ripped off, changed a little part of it. Happens a lot I suppose.

Mar 6, 13 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

curtkram

Really - it was pretty generic - the New TransBay tower in SF  is almost a copy of it. Pelli Clarke Pelli - now where did they get it? With BIM Cloud, you just poke around and save it under a different name.

Mar 6, 13 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
neilonidas

Echo the previous statements. If it's that close and the other is further along, he's probably aware..

Mar 6, 13 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Ward Bennett once called me to compliment me on a project that I did. He then went on to say he loved a particular detail and asked if I had designed it. Then he said he was doing a house in Colorado, and would I mind if he copied that detail.

At least he had the courtesy to ask. And the savvy to compliment me first. LOL

Mar 6, 13 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Just shut it.. unless you have no plans to work for him in the future and perhaps want him to think you're hinting to him that you busted him copying another building already designed. xD

either way.. everything we see around us is copied in one way or the other.. very few come up with new and exciting work.

Perhaps be more subtle and suggest some other design and say you think it would look better

Mar 6, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Miles...that is an  up right compliment, but you should have ask him for a hundred bucks, just so he doesn't think he can borrow from your projects in the future for free.

Mar 6, 13 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
WhatsOnTheARE

Written permission is needed from the architect who originally designed the house. BUT as you said you have only seen the front facade and the front (foyer?) layout. The rest of the plan may be different.

Mar 20, 13 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: