Archinect
anchor

self -portrait picture in portfolio ?

pablic

Hi all,

I am right now rebuilding my portfolio and was just wondering if that is ok to put there the self-portait picture? It might look good there (just the next page after the cover) as the way of saying hello but on the other hand the potential employer might get scared. I saw many portfolios with the picture (mostly on the page with short CV) . I am especially curious what the architectural companies would think about it.

Best ! 

Mar 4, 13 10:27 pm
observant

No. 

I've never seen a picture in a resume nor a portfolio.  If the applicant views it as a way to vaunt their attractiveness, it would come across as transparent and I would find that arrogant and offputting.  There are countless studies which indicate that looks correlate positively with getting hired.  For anyone who wants to go that route, wait until you're in the door, and in the conference/interview room, to work the charm.

Mar 4, 13 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

sure you could.. just make sure its not some boring passport photo from the subway booth or so..  Include one that looks professional and more importantly artistic in some way.. like a photo out of a fashion magazine or so..  A nice shot could speak about your style and show you care about every detail.

Mar 5, 13 12:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Beware the photo bomb!

Mar 5, 13 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Jadzia

In most European countries it's kind of mandatory to have a picture included in your CV, but I know that this is unusual in the US.

Interestingly most online portfolios (e.g. the people pages here or on architizer) require to put a head shot at the very front and I'm sometimes amused  how different people like to present themselves: From the classic black and white picture with people either showing a half-smile or the "I'm way too cool to look into the camera" attitude  to completely candid vacations photos in a bikini or with your significant other barely cut out of the picture.

Mar 5, 13 4:28 am  · 
 · 
observant

In most European countries it's kind of mandatory to have a picture included in your CV, but I know that this is unusual in the US.

There are some other things that are whacked in European countries.  Another one of them is putting your date of birth on a CV/resume, and my cousins over there say that this is a "given."  In the U.S., this has never been done.  Age discrimination is very much a reality in southern Europe, and I'm not talking late 50s, but even early 40s.  It seems like they'll take nothing less than an Elisabetta Canalis-alike for a receptionist's position.

Mar 5, 13 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

When I was checking out firms for a possible internship/job over in Europe, I noticed a lot of firms also wanted to know your marital status.

Mar 5, 13 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
observant

When I was checking out firms for a possible internship/job over in Europe, I noticed a lot of firms also wanted to know your marital status.

Yes, Josh, this too, I believe.  I think in Italian that would be "stato civile."  In the U.S., this has changed.  People would put this at the bottom, under other info, saying stuff like "married, two children, financially stable."  Seriously.  Now, it's considered tacky here.  The only time a person might do it is if they apply to someplace that is really conservative, and it will earn them points.  However, I have been asked my marital status in interviews a couple of times. It's illegal, and has been for a while.  I was discussing this with a friend in Phoenix who said that's a red flag that, if they are THAT stupid, there are more unprofessional things to come down the pike.  When that did happen, I didn't care how well the interview went and/or if I was offered a job, I chose NOT to pursue that employment option.

Mar 5, 13 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

yeah.. i found it wierd some European school I wanted to apply to grad school for wanted a photo in my CV... like did the profs want to admit the prettiest looking girls or guys :/  Honestly, i'm glad to work in a profession that what you do at work matters more than how you present yourself.  Unlike many other professions, you could be a stud in architecture but you bet your ass would be fired if you can produce work. ;P

Mar 5, 13 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
snail

I know of some people who did it and were successful, and I think that I would consider doing it in a future portfolio. Apart from the looks/discrimination issues I think that it helps people view your portfolio with more awareness of the human person behind it. Of course that assumes that the picture is tasteful and not too large/colorful to be visually distracting - the kind of author's photos which you see in the back of books might be a good precedent.

Mar 6, 13 6:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
gwharton

Don't put in a picture. If they have any HR policies in place, that will make them break out in hives.

A good alternative is a decent character sketch of yourself, preferably drawn by you. That makes it a plausible portfolio piece and can express who you are very effectively.

Mar 7, 13 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Don't put in a picture. If they have any HR policies in place, that will make them break out in hives.

A good alternative is a decent character sketch of yourself, preferably drawn by you. That makes it a plausible portfolio piece and can express who you are very effectively.

Good answer.  Hopefully, the sketch gives more of a basic idea than it does an identifiable look at the OP which might prejudice their opinion.

Mar 7, 13 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: