Archinect
anchor

If you didn't go into architecture, what do you think you would have liked to have done?

BulgarBlogger

Why would it matter what someone's grades are after they have gotten their license? 

As I said before: "it will take a lot more for me compared to B.Arch's (for example...)"

I think 10 years down the road qualifies for my respect as they have demonstrated their commitment to the field... But then again- it took you 4 extra years to realize you wanted to do architecture? That signals a bit of flakiness in my mind already... 

Mar 5, 13 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
observant

observant, i believe your obsession with education requirements is growing to unhealthy levels.

That was another thread, curt.  My unpopular one.  In arch, I'm ok with a 4 year, and I've stated that before. Education here only came into play because it is THE factor to switch careers, like my classmate who became a doctor or some people I know who then wanted to teach.  No additional education, no career switch.  The thread was trying to evaluate what else people would have wanted to do with their lives, and you can thank Bulgar for the "they don't have a clue" slant that the thread took, not to mention the "would you want them working on you, or for you."  I defended these people by recounting how they rolled up their sleeves to excel at another type of preparation.  I admire them.  I like architecture.  However, there are other things that would have made me happy and maybe even more financially comfortable.

Add:  flakiness for the delay, as in Bulgar's last post, for which one could point out flakey B.Arch. holders and committed M.Arch. holders.

Can we take this BACK to the INTENT of the OP, that being WHAT ELSE COULD YOU SEE YOURSELF DOING?

Mar 5, 13 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Being a Chef... I cooking and baking- and I'm good for it. Observer- I'll maybe give you a cookie!. A gigilo sounds fun too!

Mar 5, 13 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Chocolate chip for me.  The real moist ones, like Keebler makes.

Gigilo is spelled "gigolo."  Cheers.

Mar 5, 13 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I told you I work a non-arch job.... I work in a chocolate shop!

Mar 5, 13 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Are you of Bulgarian parentage, or do you just have a soft spot for Bulgari watches?

Mar 5, 13 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I am Bulgarian... I have an EU and American passport :) 

Mar 5, 13 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

--

Mar 5, 13 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Funny :)

Mar 5, 13 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
observant

It might be funny, if someone explained to me who they are / what "play" that is.  I'm seeing some kind of truce.

Mar 5, 13 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Charlie an Chocolate Factory Maybe? Or... the Wizard of OZ? Idk

Mar 5, 13 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

they're the oompa loompas. 

Mar 5, 13 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

i have always wished i was a chocolate bar designer. there must be people working at Nestlé that sit around and think..."hmmm what if we combine popcorn and wasabi covered in chocolate"

what a job

Mar 5, 13 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
observant

there must be people working at Nestlé that sit around and think

Ever sat there with a box full of paint samples, and wonder "who the f**k do they pay to sit around and name these colors?"  "Quebec morning," "Fern meadow," "Irascible red" ... when I look at paint swatches, I don't know whether to laugh or whether my brain is going to explode.  Same idea ... there must be people .... funny.

Mar 5, 13 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"you can make the most pretty pictures, but its how much you know that is of value. "

-Agreed

but back to the question at hand,

a). economist (i minored in this)

b). teacher (kids to day seem lost more than ever)

c.) politician (politicians to day seem lost more that ever)

d). engineer (they make more money and do less work)

e). pastor (People today seem more lost than ever)

Mar 5, 13 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
observant

e). pastor (People today seem more lost than ever)

Interesting.  This is reputedly a very high stress job. Being raised Catholic where there is a (ahem ... presumably) celibate clergy, it's really interesting to learn of Protestant ministers who are divorced.  In an office, the guy who sat next to me was the son of a divorced pastor in one of the Protestant sects, and that kind of blew my mind.

Mar 5, 13 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

become an SE - I come from a long line of engineers and am tasked with creating the architect's model of the building structure and perform structural coordination. Both in school and sitting in with SE at SOM revealed where my main interests are. Am currently working on software that determines structural member size.

Mar 5, 13 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

A Chocolatier in Bulgaria!

Mar 5, 13 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
dia

@BulgarBlogger - read this: http://www.gladwell.com/2008/2008_10_20_a_latebloomers.html

Mar 5, 13 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
observant

A Chocolatier in Bulgaria!

For those who are more bloodthirsty, they could choose to be a vampire in Transylvania, which I believe is in Romania, an adjacent country.  But how does one train for that?

Mar 5, 13 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: