Archinect
anchor

gingerbread houses

db

so, we're starting a tradition this year and are going to do a gingerbread version of a Modern house each year.

It was spurred by this:
http://www.redenvelope.com/re/gifts/product_display/product_information.jsp?oid=25401746
(which is dreadful)

I originally thought the Barcelona Pavilion would be great (and it would!) but decided to stick to houses.

1st up (for many personal reasons) is the Wittgenstein House in Vienna.

Runners-up included the Villa Savoy, Schroeder House, Robie House, and Red House (Webb). All are still on the list for future years. Hopefully a long tradition is at hand...

Please post you own examples...

Dec 15, 07 7:25 pm
n_

My sisters and I did the exact same thing last year. We intend to make it a new yearly tradition.

Our house resembled the Farnsworth House. We used marshmallows to elevate it slightly off our base, graham cracker for ceiling, leveled patios, and stairs, and an ever-so-thin cooked white icing concotion (my sister worked for a well-known baker during her college years) for all glazing. It was beautiful for about 5 minutes. Then we tried to move it to another counter-top and it collapsed.

I had to keep clarifying in the midst of our laughter that I had a design degree and not a structural engineering degree.

I'll try to find pictures of our collapsed Farnsworth.

Dec 15, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I think Kahn's National Assembly Building (Bangladesh) would look especially good in gingerbread.

Dec 15, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
obelix
Dec 15, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

a few interesting entries from german architecture competitions

Dec 15, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

holz.box you should start some kind of library with what's in your head....

Dec 15, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

seriously. holz, you ever think about teaching some day?

Dec 15, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

He didn't design those, those are from the SZ

Dec 16, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i don't have the correct degree for teaching and don't know how i feel about going to school.

on top of that, i'm a really harsh critic and would probably be expelled for ripping trash off people's models.

Dec 16, 07 4:06 am  · 
 · 

heres one that a colleague and i made a few years ago.

thats me on the right looking a bit goofy and proud.
at that time it was one of our offices more well know projects.

Dec 16, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

that's grat! do the windows get smaller at the cantilever edge for a vierendeel truss?

Dec 16, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

i didnt work on this project but i was told that the window sizes are a direct result of the required size of window for each specific room type. you know that kinda dutch realism, no-fuss it 'it is like this because of rules AB and C'.

Dec 16, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

kill the gingerbread! you romans!!!

Dec 16, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
cheese

makes excellent landscapes...

Dec 16, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: