Archinect
anchor

Deciding on a career path. Diversifying Experience.

above49

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice/opinions on diversifying my practice experience. I hope that this thread might be useful to others who also feel that they are currently getting singular/limited work experience.

I have been working for three years at a boutique firm where the main focus is always given to the design. It is what most would consider a dream job coming out of school. The office is young, high energy and everyone puts a lot of effort into pushing the design of every project that the office can work on. It has been an incredible experience seeing how to keep the design as the top priority at all times during a project. 

Lately it feels like my learning at this office has plateaued. I know that I will continue to gain other experiences by working on other projects as time passes, but it feels like I need to make a move to pick up other skills that this office isn't as accomplished in. 

I am considering trying to switch to a larger office that is known for a high level of design excellence, but is also efficient at project delivery, construction administration, technical issues, management, etc.etc. As I move forward in my career I would like to feel confident that I accumulated a diverse and holistic set of experiences as a practitioner, which will enable me to be assured that I can one day start my own office.

Would anyone suggest/encourage making a change at this point in my career? And if so, which firms (worldwide) would you consider or suggest would be good options for a strong design firm that would undoubtedly provide exceptional experience in all the other important areas that architect's must know.

Thanks, and I look forward to your thoughts.

Mar 1, 13 1:31 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: