Archinect
anchor

professional video game players

mdler

I found out that this is actually a profession this past weekend... 17yr old kids making $100k + a yr playing Halo 3

Dec 3, 07 1:26 pm
manamana

yeah, but people that good at it play so much it isn't fun for them anymore.

I met one of them once on a website I worked on for one of their organizations. nice guy, but when video games require a warm-up routine to get your click speed up, and 6 hours a day of practice, somethings wrong.

Dec 3, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah mana, i think there's something wrong with that too

Dec 3, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i could rock some missile command and centipede and tetris if i had to

Dec 3, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'but when video games require a warm-up routine to get your click speed up, and 6 hours a day of practice, somethings wrong'

sounds like autocad to me

Dec 3, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

exactly my point...nobody ever says anything along the lines of:

"Man, that kid is so lucky, he gets to sit around all day and do autocad! For money! Can you believe it?

Dec 3, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
binary

aint nothin' AUTO about autocad sucka (say that in the mr T voice)

b

Dec 3, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

unless he is making $100k + a yr at 17yrs old

Dec 3, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, except the path to being a sucessful pro gamer is even rougher IMO than the path to being a pro architect. Pro gaming isn't at the point where many can make decent living money off of it. Most folks I know who do it are in it for the challenge and extra spending money. The madden and halo champs who make 6+ digits a year are a rare breed and they either have god-given talent or they've been playing 8hrs of halo/doom/starcraft etc. a day since they were old enough to walk. This will change very quickly however.

At least thats how it is in the U.S. People are so batshit over starcraft in korea its practically a mainstream sport and treated a such with T.V. broadcasts and other trappings of pro sport events.

Dec 3, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

they are talking about making it an Olympic event

Dec 3, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

it will be by the time I'm raising kids I'm sure, or something similar. You could start spending all your free time playing Halo mdler and try to go pro.

Dec 3, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Also remember that with games like StarCraft and Halo 3, you usually age out of the highest levels of competition by 25. At that point, your reflexes have already slowed to the point that you get toasted by the next wave of fifteen-year-old hotshots. That's why all that dedication and time spent is necessary, just to keep from falling behind the other guys.

In South Korea, they have been doing this for years longer than us. Their video game players at the highest level play their tournaments in giant sports arenas with their games displayed on giant screens, have adoring teenage girl fanclubs, and are better known in their own country than rock stars and professional athletes.

Dec 3, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

see, that's what I was thinking cap. X

Dec 3, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

IM A PROFESSIONAL ARCHINECTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 3, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

try to get paul to sponsor you MDLER.

Dec 3, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hey paul hey paul hey paul lets have a ball

Dec 3, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

pong is 30 years young!

Dec 3, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Rottnme

What is this pong of which you speak?

Did that come on an 8-track?

Dec 3, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think it came on stone tablets actually Rottnme.

Dec 3, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pong first started as a game created by the tribe of "phn-kin-wt-u"

they made clay paddles and used fired cartiledge from the knees of wild buffalo for the "ball".

crazy story... .....

b

Dec 3, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
rodgerT

yeah, but you can't PWN NOOBS in Autocad!

Dec 3, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: