Archinect
anchor

bottom-up demolition

found this on flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chenwillie/), fantastic demolition method

Dec 3, 07 3:31 am
holz.box

is that adjacent to lloyd's?

Dec 3, 07 4:05 am  · 
 · 

seems to be, it will look great when they only have the top couple of floors left.

Dec 3, 07 4:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Really?

What would be the reason for demoing this way, I wonder?

Dec 3, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

Because it's the reverse of how it was built? Wouldn't that be one of those 1960s "suspended" structures?

Dec 3, 07 7:58 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

isnt there a building in seattle that looks like that?

Dec 3, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

you mean yamasaki's rainier tower?

Dec 3, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

AHH

Dec 3, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
simples

right across from lloyds, as you walk up the block to 30st mary axe...i wonder what will be built there...

i was in london in october, and it was very uneasy to stand underneath it as i took photos of lloyds of london...(absolutely amazing building to see it in person)

the reason for it to be demolised that way, is that the perimeter structure (steel) was suspended from the roof truss, which would transfer the loads down at the core of the building...

Dec 3, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks for the report, simples. So rondo called it - good work!

Pre-coffee this morning I just could NOT figure out why it would be so.

Dec 3, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

So, top-down build, bottoms-up demo. Got it. A little like toilet paper roll placement.

Dec 3, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
simples

yup...rondo called it...i should read through all the comments before posting i guess...

still, lloyd's of london was probably my favorite surprise from the london trip...fantastic building...even today...

Dec 3, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
binary

should just clip the top and let it crumble on itself....

why they tearing it down...that would be a cool project for a re-vamp idea...... can do a new building on the bottom/etc......

b

Dec 3, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

interesting to remember, in light of this demolition and the original construction method, that museum plaza's intended construction sequence will be for the 'plaza' level to be constructed on the ground and lifted to its final position at 26(?) floors up. so it might have some short term similarities to the picture above.

Dec 3, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No, no, simples, I was thanking you for confirming rondo's guess, not telling you that we already knew the answer - sorry if it came off that way!

Dec 3, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

we are working on a 2-story farmhouse right now which will have it's main level and foundation demolished. we are going to set the upper story on a temporary steel frame while the new foundation is constructed and the main floor is re-constructed underneath.

Dec 3, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: