Archinect
anchor

Finding the Right (Digital) Tool

farwest1

Recently, I've hit the limits of the software I'm using in terms of my design.

I've historically used FormZ, a little bit of Sketchup, and Photoshop on a Mac to do my design work. But these are clunky tools for digital design. It's difficult to do anything but right angles in them.

I need new tools. PC users have 3DStudio, Rhino, Maya, and a bunch of other things. What else is out there for Mac users? I want a really sturdy OSX program that will do some shapey or blobby work easily, but can also generate a traditional house with dimensioned walls (Maya seems like the wrong thing for that.)

Does anyone know what Jurgen Mayer uses to do his work? I notice his is a mac-based office.

Nov 27, 07 11:13 am
FRO

Have you tried the Rhino OSX beta? I'm trying to, but having trouble with the downloaded file or I'd tell you more about it...

Nov 27, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

I have tried it. It's great, but it's still being worked on. There's not a clear sense of when it will be released. I have a few projects where I need a tool right away....

Nov 27, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Is this for business or part-time freelance/personal work? If it is for business, it sounds like you need to bring in an additional platform (WIN XP) for this function. Don’t tie yourself to a Mac for stylistic reasons (I have 2 Mac’s and a PC so I’m not trying to start a Mac vs PC thing here). It’s just a tool so treat it like one.

Nov 27, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

For me, bringing in a PC would complicate things. It's just me, I've used Macs for years, I can't invest in hardware+new software.

How do high-end Mac-based firms do it? Do they just use FormZ and Photoshop?

Is Cinema4D a valid option? Have people used the modeling tools in this program?

Nov 27, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Orphan

maya seems what you want to do but you would like a simple vector interface? seems like to me what you what is:
Archicad because not only does it generate full CD's but you can also add a plug-in that is pretty much the same as Cinema 4D modeling interface fully integrated by the "Maxonform."

and that will solve the modeling curves and surfaces but also generates CD's to print...

Nov 27, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Maya is also for mac. Also check out Modo, its really nice and intuitive. Vectorworks is great for CAD. 3ds max runs fine in parallels for me as well.

Nov 27, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

3DStudio? More right angles... ha.

Rhino.

Nov 27, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ya i say run windows on your macs

and Rhinoceros

Nov 28, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I run windows and Rhino, but Cinema has always had amazing results for rendering so I would be interested to check out that Archicad plug-in that Tasty mentions.

Nov 29, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: