Archinect
anchor

Questions on working abroad

lopaka

Hi everyone,

I am just getting out of grad school and thinking about trying to get a job internationally... I have heard its an awesome experience, but I was hoping to get some more realistic opinions.

I have been looking for offices in the Netherlands because I only speak English, but am open to anything? Just looking for good architecture and experience to bring back to the states....

What are your experiences?

Do you have any office recommendations?

Are there any links that might get me started?

Thanks

Nov 18, 07 11:16 pm
Derrida4lyfe

It seems like your best bet would be to e-mail some firms you're interested in, tell them your background,and see what they say.

I've heard from my Saudi friend, whose father is an architect, that Dubai is a great place to work abroad.

In anycase, goodluck on your search.

Nov 18, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
archislave

I don't know about Dubai man...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/world/middleeast/01dubai.html

Nov 19, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

gosh, that's horrendous (i'm refering to the news).. say goodbye to aa's short course in dubai this jan.

Nov 20, 07 4:54 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Dubai, they say we build the highest towers, they have the best hotels. But all the news, they hide it. They don’t want the world to know that Dubai still lives in the Middle Ages.”

the veil...

Nov 20, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

If you like the idea of working on beautiful residential projects / smaller commercial scale developments, you could try Australia or New Zealand. The big cities like Auckland, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney are desperate for skilled architecture staff. Not sure if straight out of grad school will be in as high demand as with 3-4 years work experience, but the lifestyle is awesome.

Nov 21, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Milford

Hey lopaka,

I'm a swiss architecture student which is doing his third year now in cardiff (uk) in a exchange programm. going abroad is a great experience!
I can authenticate that europe is a great place for doing architecture. most of us europeans know at least a little english. hence there should be no problem in an bigger office anywhere here. in language the netherlands might be the best, but there are good chances in the german speaking countries. (germany, austria, switzerland)

good luck.

Nov 21, 07 5:21 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

I'm from the US - at school at Delft in the Netherlands - now looking for a job. If you want to work here, you need to have a work-permit in order to stay in the country. These permits are fairly easy to get while you're a student here, but not so much for being hired full-time. Your best bet is to go for the big firms because they deal with more international students and projects, and know the paperwork for permits which take time. Almost all large firms that are international speak English.

Also, they need to have reason to hire you over EU-residents that already speaks the native language - so it's quite competitive if you aren't living here already. IF the firm wants and needs you, they will do the paperwork for you for the work permit, but you also need to get a resident permit.

Nov 21, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

when i was in school, i worked abroad for a year. changed my whole perspective and shit. however, i had an in with the firm.

on the other hand, a friend of mine resume-bombed about 80 offices and eventually got 2 offers from really good firms. of course, the amount of money he spent for the paper and printing probably cost more than he made during his internship.

if you've got the money, just move someplace and hang out til someone gives you a job. this works as well.

Nov 21, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
minimalicious

"a friend of mine resume-bombed about 80 offices and eventually got 2 offers from really good firms. of course, the amount of money he spent for the paper and printing probably cost more than he made during his internship."

WOW!! that's me...its pathetic. You'd think graduating summa cum laude from one of the best schools in the world would be the key...Does anyone have the link to the archinect depression post?

Nov 21, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

This is a path that I would like to pursue as well. I did the resume and portfolio bombing to a bunch of firms that I was interested in. I heard got offers from firms in Copenhagen and Paris, but can't quite afford the to work there yet. Ironic though it seems, I guess interning is just part of the education process in Europe they don't pay them much.

My question, if anybody has similar experience, is how long do these internship periods usually last?

And those of you who have gone this route, have you found the investment worthwhile? If it will be something I will work towards and invest in I don't want to find that the firms will be filled with trust-fund kids who are in the offices because they can afford to pad their resume. I am hoping to experience the practice of architecture in Europe because to me it seems like there is a deeper appreciation of the craft and its practitioners are engaged in it with a bit more urgency and artful dedication.

Dec 3, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

*"heard from and got"

Dec 3, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Archislave, that's like one case. Dubai is generally pretty safe.

I hate for every other reason than it being dangerousl

Dec 3, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
postal

ooh, good question jump-high! i would also add, would it be terribly difficult for a licensed archie to work abroad?

Dec 3, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

the fact that you are registered isn't necessarily going to help, but obviously the work that you have done so far does. most european countries (except UK) are much less hung up on this whole registered or not issue.

as mentioned though the hardest part for most US ppl is obtaining a work permit. alot firms advertise that you must have a permit organised already, i do know of some cases where the firm offered a job and handled getting the permit.

it isn't impossible, first start by putting together a blindingly good cv/portfolio and send it to every single office you could imagine working for.

Dec 4, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Sparks

OMA can get your permit, provides in getting housing for you, and also pays for your food during the day. I think these interns usually last 6-12 months.

Dec 4, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 

you may find with the OMA internships you have to be officially a student. eg enrolled in an arch course.
this is because dutch law prohibits that offices give internships to graduated ppl. many dutch offices ignore this law, OMA i am not sure. i could imagine being so large and due to the fact they are organising work permits then they would have to follow that law.

Dec 4, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
ldaye

i worked in bcn for over a year, but don't expect to get paid much or anything at all. working for high profile architects in spain is considered a privilege. I made enough to get by and it was by far the best decision i've made. international experience is great, and i would recommend going over there to spend a few months time looking for a job. my roommate went over there and worked for free for 6 months before getting a job that ended up paying twice the amount i had been making.
as for working papers.... we didn't have any(unfortunately). after i had worked for a year my employer wanted to get them so that they could pay me more, but the process is long and grueling.

good luck! hope it works out.

Dec 4, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Archmed - please tell us more. What don't you like? I'm assuming you are there.

Metropolis just had a huge article on the work going up there. Just the amount of work is amazing. Not a fan of the world or the palm, but this city state has to have the Utopians talking.

Dec 4, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

are those dubai eyesores actually being designed in dubai or they designed elsewhere and then put up by global general contractors employing underpaid laborers from the phillipines, thailand malaysia etc. just wondering.

Dec 4, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

are those dubai eyesores actually being designed in dubai or they designed elsewhere and then put up by global general contractors employing underpaid laborers from the phillipines, thailand malaysia etc. just wondering.

Dec 4, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

vado you are right, there has been a few documentaries on about this very fact, such a pity that all that slave labour is creating such 3rd rate architecture.

Dec 4, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Amid the crap there are a few designs that deserve some merit.

Metropolis

It's the rate of development that amazes me.

Dec 4, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I know of a couple firms in Boston doing a ton that stuff in the UAE...

Dec 4, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: