Archinect
anchor

Aesthetics of Stand up Comedy

lopaka

Just interested in what people feel about stand-up comedy.... Are comedians like David Cross, Patton Oswalt, Bill Hicks, Eddie Izzard, etc. artists

Here are a couple things to consider:

What is the Aesthetic of Stand up comedy?

Does it have one?

Does the format of joke allow these people to cut through social facades and be truly critical.

Can stand-up comedy inform architecture?

Is this a stupid topic?
Why?

Nov 10, 07 4:12 am
binary

need links........ i dont feel like searching.... :)

b

Nov 10, 07 4:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

george carlin
richard pryor
flip wilson
sarah silverman
eddie izzard
lenny bruce
dave chapplle
moe. larry, curly

yes.

Nov 10, 07 7:13 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Interesting issue but sadly it will newer work on the web.
If anyone try put a bit humor into a discussion , then there are not an audience who want to share the fun, --- there are an audience armed with knives and guns , just my experience.

Nov 10, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 

i wish there were more of an aesthetic to standup because a lot of it is ambivalent toward the visual part of the act and more formula driven. (and the formulas are getting tired, imo.)

more successful standup may be that which has evolved away from what we think of as 'standup' - like penn&teller. still funny, but not necessarily standup and MUCH more aesthetically/visually driven.

Nov 10, 07 7:37 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

So what you mean is that the jokes has to be polished and must make a fool of trivial issues, not in any way provoke the audience , humor must know it's place, that's what you mean ?

Nov 10, 07 7:55 am  · 
 · 

actually the opposite, per. too much standup comedy feels stale and treads the same territory standup has covered for years. what might be 'fresh' in comedy?

i think there is so little visual comedy because it's so much harder. i'm not saying it's easy to talk about relationships/family, job, politics, etc, but it's a lot easier than pulling off a good physical sight gag or a real visual surprise.

Nov 10, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Back to the roots , --- I think that allway's ,make a good performance.
The ping-pong with the audience that suddenly realise they has been taken into an absurd reality, for once I think looking to history is what make the great shows.

Nov 10, 07 9:14 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

andy kaufman.

that there folks is the closest thing to god in comedy. no one can touch that idea of humor. i am still not convinced he's dead.

Nov 10, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yAlq1wqoXc

tennis game

Nov 10, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

stand up is about personality I think. Redd Foxx, Pryor, Dice Clay, Lisa Lampaneli

Nov 10, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
lopaka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tldEQg6is

Here is a link to add to the discussion. It is David cross on patriotism...

Personally, I think it is a spot in critique of American culture.

In what other format could you express this type of opinion?

Nov 10, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

enrico banducci's 'hungry i' club in san francisco - the birthplace of the brick wall.

mort sahl
lenny bruce

Nov 10, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Interesting topic. I love stand-up comedy personally. Brian Regan and Mike Birbiglia are a couple of my favorites. Also I know some people don't dig Dane Cook but I think he's fun to watch, so maybe that's part of the "aesthetic" you are talking about? Eddie Izzard as well.....his routines are classics but best if you watch them for the full effect. Whereas Brian Regan's Live routine works on its own without the visual (even though he's hilarious to watch too).

Nov 10, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

sarah silverman has an aesthetically pleasing... delivery.

Nov 10, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

if richard pryor isn't performance art, i don't no what is

Nov 10, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: