Archinect
anchor

I want to donate italian cypruss trees to anyone interested.

mberberi

Hi everyone!

I have italian cypruss trees on my property site which is soon going to be devleopment and I would like to donate the italian cypruss on the site to anyone that is interested. Does anyone know an organization that might want them? They are healthy and mature trees and if dont find a place for them i'm afraid they are going to be destroyed.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Nov 8, 07 10:29 pm

Mary-

what city is this tree located in?

Transporting/transplanting mature trees is a difficult and expensive effort with the distance being a significant factor. Tree rescue organizations are rare/non-existant because of the expense (several thousand dollars) and trauma to the tree is only justified in few situations.

The sad reality is the best alternative may be to find a local lumber mill to reclaim the wood so that they just don't chip the tree into mulch. But Italian Cypress isn't a valuable hardwood, so you may end up with a few cords of fire wood.

Since you've already seem to have made the development agreement and sale, you have few legal recourses. Prior to the sale, you could have gotten a conservation easement or a deed restriction limiting the removal of those trees (which could have reduced the value and sales price).

The roots of a tree extend out several times the height of the tree, so when transplanting a tree (by tree spade or crate) you inevitably destroy most of the roots causing severe trauma to the plant. All forms of development damage the environment, so if you feel guilty, scuttle the escrow to save the trees.

Nov 9, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
mberberi

Hi everyone, forgot to mention that the project site is in Los Angeles and there are ten mature trees. Thanks Berry for the respone. it was helpful. Despite the reality of the matter its hard to see these trees destroyed!

Nov 9, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

There's an organization called Tree People..i know they give out seedlings all the time...maybe they can help you?

http://www.treepeople.org/

Nov 9, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 
coedname-X

Fuck the trees madame, I wanna piece of your development!

Anyway, how much does it cost the destroy a tree these days?

Nov 9, 07 1:31 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

"i wanna piece of your development" sounds like a bad developer pick-up line.

and axes are cheap.

Nov 9, 07 4:10 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you have a soft heart. if it makes you feel any better, they are ornamentals. ecologically speaking, it's not a very big loss. i'm sorry if you have a more sentimental attachment to them.

Nov 9, 07 7:57 am  · 
 · 

I was thinking about tree people and the arbor foundation, but didn't want to get your hopes up if you were in skokie or somewhere else.

Few other paths to explore is to contact local landscape architecture office to see if they have projects that need these species, the ASLA has a directory. Also contact local tree farms, they won't pay you, but may be able to save the trees if a customer is looking for them. The yellow pages will help inspire other efforts.

Nov 9, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
myriam

you could also put up an add on craigslist. my parents are actually looking for mature cypresses but can't afford them--they are growing babies right now that will take awhile. but they're down in OC. When you say "donate", do you mean you will pay to have an arborist come and uproot, package, and transport them? Or will those costs have to be paid by the person taking them?

Nov 9, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: