Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

paintitblack

@Tanuja

I applied to Parsons as well.... just got the "heads up" email that decisions will go out next week. 

Mar 8, 13 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

If there are any Canucks following this forum, I spoke to Carleton's graduate office today and they said decisions will be sent out in late March (possibly early April). Apparently the switch to the entirely online application has some kinks to navigate.

Mar 8, 13 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@paintitblack Congrats on gsapp!! Was that your first choice?

Mar 8, 13 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
paintitblack

@Tanuja   Thank you!  Tbh, I don't know if Columbia is my #1. I actually didn't put too much stock into Columbia because I really wasn't sure I would get in, and I didn't want to set my heart on anything and be disappointed.  I also applied to Parsons and SCI-Arc so I have been preparing to choose between those two, but actually getting into GSAPP is something I didn't expect, so we'll see.  I really, really like Parsons, though.

Mar 8, 13 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
mion

Last two day, I also received Upenn(informal letter) and  GSAAP's acceptance. 

My status now:

in: PennDesign March with advanced standing, GSAPP_MSAAD

out: yale

and now still waiting for mit, princeton and GSD(maybe not hope)

Mar 8, 13 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
AC23

@Tanuja

Parsons and pratt are both 1st and 2nd, leanin towards parsons though. What about you?

Mar 8, 13 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
rrnkenshin

Congrats on your results guys! I believe most of you here belong to the elite group of today's architectural academic world, given your admissions into wonderful schools.

I've got the pdf copy of the official letter from Syracuse a few hours ago, as the result of the email I send them to ask for quick info about advanced standing/scholarship. They give 15k for the first academic year and one semester (?!) advanced standing only.

Mar 8, 13 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@arc23 I don't really know, it's a hard choice. I guess I can only think about it if it even happens lol so just gota wait and see...I'm getting so anxious!

Mar 8, 13 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Congrats to all those being accepted to great schools! 

For the ones waiting for Harvard... Has anyone seen/heard about an M.Arch I With AP yet? I seem not to see any in gradcafe or around here. This gives me lots of hope!

Mar 8, 13 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

Still nothing from Cornell.

Guess they'll drag it along until next week.

Mar 8, 13 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

Did not receive the official GSD packet today... more waiting... As the weekend is upon us, I, for the first time, am posting my portfolio for your viewing (and time killing) pleasure:

http://issuu.com/mtt9999/docs/teismann_7-projects_lr2?mode=window&viewMode=doublePage

Mar 8, 13 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@red_g

Have hope!! =]

Mar 8, 13 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
decisionss

I am a current MArch student at GSD applied for concurrent MUP degree and I didn't receive any information until today. So I believe they still have decisions to send, acceptance and rejections together. Keep your heads up :)

Mar 8, 13 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
decisionss

Oh, and I am accepted to the program. FYI I have to apply just as any other student for a concurrent degree. 

Mar 8, 13 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

I am hoping for GSD so badly. I know it's harvard and it has glamour because of that, but I really like the curriculum design, the elective spaces, the atmosphere, interdisciplinarity, and polarity of the school.it brings balance into design and at the same time exposes me to radical new people who would blow my mind. I don't know as much about GSAPP's connections with other design disciplines or the layout of Avery hall or the specifics on the curricula other than its technological bent. I need to find out more before I commit.

Mar 9, 13 1:23 am  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

@jesusmaldonado
I've got like the exact opposite problem.

I did GSAPP's intro to arch program this past summer so I know plenty about Avery and although i have my frustrations with it, I'm really disappointed that I didn't get an email today. I thought it was a perfect fit for me and I really admire alot of the faculty there. I'm going to say I'm still waiting but I'm coming to accept that it just wasn't the right fit for me right now- and it definitely could not have provided me the kind of aid Harvard just offered me!

At the same time, I feel really apprehensive about my acceptance to GSD. I know it's an amazing program and my undergrad arch professor/mentor is a grad- but I just don't know as much about it as I do about GSAPP. So I am making it a priority to visit and I'm sure I will feel instantly relieved of this. I visited Gund over the summer and while I was impressed with its huge bright beautiful (empty) studio space, I was left wanting so much more.
Avery is tiny and crowded and always bustling. Visit at prime time (ie. mid-reviews, right about now) and you'll get a feel for it. It's an exciting place. I get the impression that the schools are pretty different in terms of environment but at the end of the day we'll all just be sleepless and overworked but will be constantly inspired an challenged by our peers and professors. Keep in mind that these programs know more about their own programs than you do. You wouldn't get in if it weren't a good fit for you. That's what I keep telling myself.

For now... I'll be waiting anxiously to hear from Princeton!!!!!!!

Mar 9, 13 1:54 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

while i think they are still processing, it seems like its only the special cases that will be coming one by one, and that general admissions were already sent for every program. Its like they want to settle each and everyone of the odd cases first + waitlists before giving out ANY rejections.... thats just cruel lol.. they should just send out rejections to those no longer under consideration so everyone can move on (cuz i bet there are a loooooot of ppl no longer in any form of contention) 

in short... Harvard DOES NOT CARE about your feelings XD lol

Mar 9, 13 2:21 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@haptic

"You wouldn't get in if it weren't a good fit for you. That's what I keep telling myself.

For now... I'll be waiting anxiously to hear from Princeton!!!!!!! "

thats what i keep telling myself too hahah.... in part to make the wait easier, in part because it is true... i think schools know right away what students match them....

ive given up on GSD by now :(... even tho deep down i know im not a perfect match to them... (I criticized "starchitecture" in my statement... biggest self-inflicted undoing lol).. but i think it is important to be completely honest about ur ideology/goals and not cater ur application towards a particular school just to gain entry... otherwise whats the point of ending up somewhere u dont belong and spending $hitloads doing so? 

at least thats my take on it... being honest to urself and the right schools will choose you...   i think everyone will end up where they are meant to go... 

Mar 9, 13 2:41 am  · 
 · 
lottie576

GSAPP is only school I got accepted so far.

I would have been excited when I first graduate years from BArch couple years ago,

but now not anymore. reasons are:

1.  lot of people who graduated MSAAD program, generally they weren't too satisfied-

of program being too short, curriculum is not strong as before, too hectic to learn softwares and at the same time trying to have your own "thesis", TA's are not that great.

Probabaly good school if you are doing 3 year M.Arch - You get both name and the content, not only name.

2. expensive!

Waiting on GSD and Princeton.

Would be excited to get into GSD (M.Arch 2) but probability is pretty low so trying not to wait for it too much ;)

For Princeton, not sure... It has good name but I hear graduates have hard time finding jobs.  Also, I think the class size is too small and courses they offer is not diverse as other schools. 

Anyone has endorsing opinions on either GSAPP or Princeton?

Mar 9, 13 3:57 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

https://apply.embark.com/grad/harvard/design/decision/60/

I got this link from grad cafe.

I believe it's the link for making your official decision on whether you want to accept the offer. My guess is the link is sent to those who got offers.

If it says you cannot access it then it probably means they didnt give you an offer and its not waiting at a fedex counter somewhere

Mar 9, 13 3:57 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

https://apply.embark.com/grad/harvard/design/decision

sorry i think it's this one. 

Of course it could mean you are on a wait list or something. But for those who are getting mailed offers it might be a good way to find out?

Mar 9, 13 4:10 am  · 
 · 
batman

^ when you click on that link and login, did you get an email automatically from GSD saying "thank you for starting online the decision form...blah blah blah april 15,2013 blah blah blah"?

Mar 9, 13 5:44 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

Re Batman:  Yep. Since only people who got accepted are suppose to have the link.

Mar 9, 13 5:52 am  · 
 · 
blyang

When I accessed my account via the link, the first page that popped up was "Preliminary questions" with two radio button choices: one to accept the offer to enroll, and one to deny the offer. 

Mar 9, 13 10:21 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Is this link an accurate depiction for an admissions decision? Or, is this all speculative? I'm confused..

Mar 9, 13 11:30 am  · 
 · 
maidle

I would say on the accurate side of speculation. My friend never got an email (maybe it was lost in spam) notifying a decision, and just logged on and found out she is accepted. 

Mar 9, 13 11:37 am  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

logged onto the link above or her application account?

Mar 9, 13 11:58 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

a rejection entry from gradcafe a couple of yrs back:

"I got this notification after I wrote to them..so those waiting you can get responses by email, save you from having to wait for snail mail."

Decisions cannot be given out on the phone. Anyone knows which email? just general?

Mar 9, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@juventus7

there are definitely ppl already accepted to GSD MArch I AP. Even on gradcafe.

Mar 9, 13 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

Pretty sure I got rejected to GSD. I log into that form and get "our records indicate that you do not have access to this form" Good luck you guys

Mar 9, 13 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

Accepted via phone call to UVA MArch 1 with merit aid!

So exciting!

Mar 9, 13 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
joannagrant87

anyone heard from princeton yet?

Mar 9, 13 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@jesusmaldonado and everybody else that tried to login to GSD link

when you guys logged in, you guys got this, right " 

"According to our records, you do not have access to this form."

did you guys also get the following email instantly when you logged in

"Thank you for starting the Harvard GSD online decision form. Log in here to access this form in the future: https://apply.embark.com/grad/harvard/design/decision/. Please submit the completed form by April 15, 2013.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact either of us.

Sincerely,

Gail Gustafson and Geri Nederhoff
Directors of Admission"

i guess I didn't get in either since MAIDLE's friend got a different result than we did.

Mar 9, 13 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

I think those of us who have applied to M.Arch1 AP and M.Arch2 programs at GSD still may have a chance. I've only seen 2 people here who have been admitted to AP. If they had sent out all the admissions there probably would have been way more acceptance reports. Maybe there's another wave on the way... Don't you think?

My current status:

In: Yale, Cornell, Rice, WUSTL

Waiting: GSD, UPenn, Princeton, UBC

Mar 9, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@batman

That's probably a bug. When you log in the system, you will get this email.

Mar 9, 13 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@tinson49

i just wanted to confirm if everyone got one too. trying to get my hopes up only to be shattered later. i should forget about it.

Mar 9, 13 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@batman
Yeah. We just want to keep our faith. But it's close now. I guess next Monday everything will be clear.

Mar 9, 13 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@kioola

if it is anything like Yale, then theres prob only about 3-4 international students with architectural bachelors from outside the states. The fact  that there's one exact case of MArch I AP- international student w/outside of US degree is already pretty damning... (prob from Canada) given the fact that most ppl posting online are from the US w/ non arch background.  The remaining 3 prob didnt even post.... odds are greaaaattly against my case right now....

Mar 9, 13 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
batman

im going to kill those faith of ours cause friend said that all acceptances comes out in the same day. 

so you guys can start drinking now.

Mar 9, 13 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

im just pissed off right now that the lack of news makes me anguish at the potential rejection of one school, rather than being super elated and thinking about the great, great, great schools that have accepted me so far.......... i know its nothing to be ashamed of being rejected at one place for not being a good fit... but im resentful of that fact that right now i cant enjoy acceptances the way i should with this uncertainty.. its distracting me away from the things that matter, when i was supposed to enjoy the moment when all the hard work paid off... 

this is the venting thread too isnt it? then lets pop that venting champagne :]!

Mar 9, 13 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@helenakeys

That's very very distracting. I get accepted by UMich and USC at my two first news, which make me expecting from the big dogs.

Then rejected continuously by Rice, UCLA, Cornell. Then many people have news from GSAPP, GSD. Ok, no news, no status change in the application page. I know the result is not bad, at least I get accepted by some good schools. However, I just can't enjoy this, I don't like the tempo of being rejected, rejected and rejected. But I rather to receive rejection letter than have no news and watch someone else get acceptance news. That's too torturing.

I know I probably rejected by GSAPP and GSD right now, the only school left is U Penn. Ok, last chance to get IVY. Last chance. Hopefully make me happy on MAR.14.

Mar 9, 13 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

@helenakeys

I'm really in the exact same boat. The elation yesterday from being accepted to GSAPP is today still undermined by the impending decision by the GSD. I am thrilled and blessed with many other really great schools. And yet here I am once again, refreshing my inbox and obsessing with not hearing anything and what it might "mean"..

I understand that this process isn't "fun" for them either, but it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth that, after a week, and after I have called, inquired..ect. that no indication on even the potential of my application still can be revealed. There are so many opinions. So many "rumors", and so much evasiveness and I don't understand how this is benefitting anyone.

I just want an answer, and the last week of my life back.

Mar 9, 13 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Never thought I would say this, but I can't wait until the weekend is overrrr!

Mar 9, 13 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
ctlaltdel

Anybody else think that maybe Cornell should remove Lebbeus Woods from their faculty directory?

Mar 9, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
deals on wheels

Had only heard from Michigan (in) and Yale (out) as of this morning.... very disappointed. Then, who should call but UVA! In! Guys (and gals) there's still hope from the schools you (we) haven't heard from yet! Still waiting on Berkeley (has anyone heard?) GSD UPenn MIT and GSAPP. Keep hope alive!

March 1 btw

Mar 9, 13 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

@helenakeys

Well that sucks... I'm an international student too.

I don't know why I'm obsessing so much over GSD either... The funny thing is that Yale was my top choice all along and I'm in! But somehow it's all ruined because of GSD. 

Mar 9, 13 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@kioola

from which country?

My top choices were Yale, Harvard and MIT.... still hoping for an MIT acceptance... :( yes, GSD is a party pooper!

(being honest... im sure its just ego for me XD...)

Mar 9, 13 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

@helenakeys

I'm from Iran. What about you?

For me it's probably just a classic case of "wanting something you can't have"  :))

Mar 9, 13 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
yyymmm

Congrats to everyone who got into great schools!

Have you guys made any decisions yet?

Mar 9, 13 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
gameboy

Hey all, I am an international student as well. I missed the deadline to apply for Columbia's financial aid (nope I didn't know they don't offer to international students..) so I emailed the admissions committee. I didn't get any scholarship with that email I got. I'm wondering if anyone did get scholarship. If not, what are you going to do...??

Mar 9, 13 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: