Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

kelena

Congrats everyone who has been accepted!!!! This group chatting looks like it's full of some very talented people :)

Cornell was a no for me too. I'm trying to predict which programs I will be accepted to based on decisions from other schools. I'm not too sure how accurate this will be... 

Really can't wait to hear back and have all options in front of me!

Mar 7, 13 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@kelena
True. I find the people here are talented. Almost everyone can get good offers from big dog schools.
I also get a "no" from Cornell. So I guess I am out most for GSD or Berkeley as well. I guess these people will compete with us for the following u Penn/GSAPP. I guess I also have a high probability to get rejected.

Mar 7, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

Well no news for me for Cornell don't know if that's good or bad , hope its good , expecting for the worst

Mar 7, 13 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

@cizz 

did you check the application page? That's what I had to do, they didn't send me an email. 

Mar 7, 13 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
haptic-urbanism

PRINCETON PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!!

Mar 7, 13 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@Cizz

All the decision are posted in your application page. I guess those who didn't receive email notice are rejected!

Mar 7, 13 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

Accepted at Cornell M.Arch 1.  No architecture background and Canadian so have felt a little lost throughout this process.

They offered me 12K renewable scholarship which is great but still very far from being able to pay for the rest. Does anyone know if I can call or email about gaining further funding and how exactly to approach the issue. Is it smart to bring up other offers, Cornell is my top choice! Never had to do this before since tuition for undergrad staying in province was extremely low. Any advice would be very welcome!

Mar 7, 13 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

"Cornell was a no for me too. I'm trying to predict which programs I will be accepted to based on decisions from other schools. I'm not too sure how accurate this will be"

Can you please summarize where you stand right now? Where are you in or out? Who have you not heard from? It's not over. There are many schools left to hear from... Can you post your portfolio?

Mar 7, 13 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
batman

@jacobchen

I tried this with GSAPP when I got in the first time and they didn't offer me any scholarship. I asked them again a couple months ago if I can re-apply and they approved it. Now I'm waiting March 15th to hear back if I get any scholarships (which is probably the same time most of you will hear back if you were accepted to GSAPP or not)

For USC I tried asking the chair if I can get a higher funding for scholarships but he denied it. I might try again with the general admissions and see how it goes there. 

It never hurts to ask. like many people said, they worst is they say no.

Is UCBerk officially out? do we get emails or can we check our application page to get any kind of hints were in?

Mar 7, 13 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
mtt9999

A while back, when Yale's results came out, a question was posted as to whether or not getting rejected from one Ivy League means you wont get into any of them:

"What are the chances of getting into other schools such as the GSD or Columbia if someone is denied from Yale?"

My response: "There is still a good chance. It ultimately depends on the pedagogy of the school, the admissions committee, and your work in your portfolio. If they align, you may get in at one Ivy. If they don't, then you wont get into another. Did you apply to any other non-Ivy leagues?"

This is completely true. I was rejected at Yale, but got into GSD. Keep you heads up people. Just because one might not be the best fit, doesn't mean a better one wont come along and accept you... Head high Kelena...

Mar 7, 13 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
jacobcohen

I did my BA at mcGill in Art History and Urban geography. also completed my first year science (calculus, physics...). Applied to all M.Arch programs either 3 or 3.5 years.

In: Cornell, Wustl

Waiting: GSD, PennDesign, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and Carleton(ottawa)

portfolio:http://issuu.com/jacobleecohen/docs/portfolio

Mar 7, 13 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
eternalized

@Cizz

I also didn't get an email from them. And like everyone else said, I checked the website...don't know if I'm just not looking in the right place, but I don't see anything regarding an acceptance or decline? Maybe it means I'm waitlisted??

For those that found it on the website, did you just log in and check under application status? Mine just says completed? 

Mar 7, 13 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

@ eternalized

me either I checked online,doesnt say rejected or anything, dunno if Im looking at the right place either .

Mar 7, 13 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@eternalized

It is down the application page, there is a decision letter click button. right above the recommendation.

Mar 7, 13 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@Cizz
Same as the above post. There is a download PDF link called decision letter right above recommend letter.

Mar 7, 13 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
kelena

@mtt9999

Thank you for the support! This is where I stand right now... (for 3 year programs)

In: WUSTL, RISD, VT, UMich

Waitlisted: U of Texas Austin

Out: Yale, Cornell

Applied: UPenn, Princeton, NJIT, City College of NY, Columbia, Harvard, University of Cincinnati, UVA

You may ask why so many applications? I'm pretty determined to go to school this coming Fall, and have many logistics to figure out with my fiancé and finances. Figured it was a small investment upfront to have options later. 

My undergrad is in Art Semiotics from Brown, so mostly theory with a collection of fine art, industrial design (RISD), and anthropology/religious studies classes thrown in there. My portfolio is not posted anywhere, yet I should figure out how to post it soon. After believing I would be accepted no where, I'm already very content with my options. I believe my grades are what keep me out of the top top programs, they don't hurt me, but don't help me stand out. 

My portfolio and statement were probably the strongest parts of my application.

You seem to have some nice options so far, where are you thinking of heading come Fall?

-also, can I just attach my portfolio, or does it have to link?

Mar 7, 13 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

getting impatient... any news from Columbia GSAPP? Hoping next Friday at the latest. congrats to all the Cornell acceptances!!!

Mar 7, 13 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@kelena
You are great. Brown is a great University. And your major is close to architecture. Good luck to you! Hopefully you can in your dream school!

Mar 7, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher
No email or link for me from cornell.. Weird
Mar 7, 13 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@j.maher
It is down the application page, there is a decision letter click button. right above the recommendation.
I guess only the accepted student get the email

Mar 7, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

No link as well , guess there not done

Mar 7, 13 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher
I ve checked the page like 20 times now .. No link
Mar 7, 13 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

Official Test Scores
Scores are typically matched to applications within 7 days of submission. The name and birthday on the application must match exactly with the ETS registration. Please allow ample time for matching to occur. Questions and inquiries should be directed to your graduate field of interest.
GRE Status Received TOEFL Status Exempt
Decision
View Your Decision Letter

Online Letters of Recommendation

see!!! There is the location in the page!!!!!!!!

Mar 7, 13 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
eternalized

@Cizz @j.maher

same here! I thought I was just looking in the wrong place...but guess there are others like me. 

My guess would be that we're waitlisted? Because the link is there for the accepted and the declined people, so I'm assuming they havent updated yet for the waitlisted? Or they could just havent gotten to us yet (so could be either accepted or declined)...but I'm thinking we're waitlisted?? 

Mar 7, 13 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
eternalized

@tinson49

haha, yeah thats where I'm looking! Nothing there yet!

Its a bit frustrating...not knowing for sureee, haha

If I'm waitlisted at Cornell....from what I know, it is sort of impossible to get off of their waitlist unless you are first in line...:[ 

Mar 7, 13 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher
@tinson i dont have any "decision" there ..

@eternalized yeah that might be the case. But even so it is our right to know if we are waitlisted.. I hope we learn by tomorrow
Mar 7, 13 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
rachelmjkang

It's been about two days since the last time I saw GSD acceptance posts on gradcafe... has anyone heard back from GSD yet? 

At this point, I am just telling myself that I didn't get in...... 

Mar 7, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@j.maher @eternalized

Good luck guys!!!!!!!!! I guess Cornell have a small class

Mar 7, 13 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
kelena

@tinson49- thank you! Although the application process is a lot of up and down, it's really so exciting! Good luck to you with everything as well!

@mtt9999- because you asked to see my portfolio, and I should write more often, so I created another blog. 

http://iamkristenelena.blogspot.com/2013/03/portfolio.html

Mar 7, 13 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@rachelmjkang

that might the case. If there has a second wave, it should be next Monday....

But these days I heard or saw more and more people post their results now. (they didn't post it on Monday) So I guess we are out.

Mar 7, 13 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia
I just got admitted to uPenn! M Arch I with advanced standing. Got an unofficial email 10 minutes ago!

UPenn or IIT? What do you guys think?
Mar 7, 13 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

rejected from Cornell...kinda saw that coming...

Mar 7, 13 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

EVERYONE

No decision letter on my application page either.

WHAT IS THIS TORTURE! Make me or break me!

Mar 7, 13 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

This could be black or white, about everyone asking if we're waitlisted. GOD KNOWS!

There's nothing on my email or page.

Mar 7, 13 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

Well maybe that is a good sign? You might be wait listed !

Mar 7, 13 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Cizz

It is torture not knowing 

Mar 7, 13 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@Tanuja Manohar

Did you find out about Cornell?

Mar 7, 13 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@cizz

Yeah I feel you. Hopefully by tomorrow you will know!

Mar 7, 13 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

@red_g

Yup..rejected =[

I only checked b/c people on the forum said it is up.

Mar 7, 13 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

Got into Cornell (March 1) with a 12K scholarship... I'm going to decline the offer since Yale has offered 20K.

I'm so unbelievably frustrated waiting for news from Harvard GSD (AP) that I'm not even happy!

Mar 7, 13 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@anyone

Has anyone heard from Syracuse about financial aid??

Mar 7, 13 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@Tanuja Manohar

Awww man... I still have nothing on my application. Did you hear back from Wash U? I didn't get an email from WUSTL but actually received it in the mail.

Mar 7, 13 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@ red_g

No I haven't heard anything from WUSTL...still waaaaittnngggg...

Mar 7, 13 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
gg_r

@Tanuja Manohar

Email Kathleen O'Donnell!!

Mar 7, 13 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
rachelmjkang

@tinson49 

Thanks for the comment! Yeah... I realized that more people posted their acceptance results on gradcafe past couple days... I guess it's easier to just believe that I'm out... haha

Now I being little impatient to hear from UPenn.. received an email from the director regarding financial aid which kind of hinted that I was admitted...but I don't want to be disappointed on the 14th when the official decisions are posted... finger crossed everyone! 

Mar 7, 13 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Tanuja

@ red

I guess I can try that..have you heard from UPENN?

Mar 7, 13 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

Accepted to UVa. Looked on my account page!

Mar 7, 13 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Accepted to UVa. Looked on my account page!

You are in an elite group.  3 year or 2 year?  Undergrad major/school?

Mar 7, 13 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
lopes0421

@observant

2 year ,Master of Architecture, Path 2 degree program 

Bachelor of Science in Architecture at The University of Texas at Arlington.

Mar 7, 13 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

While we're all waiting for the rest of our admission decisions, anyone want to share infos on your admission application, to alleviate some anxiety/a guide to future applicants:

personal: (age/gender/nationality/ethnicity)

Undergrad BG: (major/university)

GPA:

GRE scores:

Letters of recommendations: (who wrote them for you)

resume/CV: anything that stands out, that helped your acceptance (what you think)

portolio: links if you'd like to share

essay/thesis proposal topic/idea:

schools applied to/accepted/rejected/waiting/waitlisted

ok, go! =)

Mar 7, 13 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: