Archinect
anchor

2013 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

sensation

i received 21k scholarships for Columbia's GSAPP... hey do you guys think its possible to intern while being a full time graduate student?

Mar 9, 13 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
batman

how did you get 21K scholarship?

Mar 9, 13 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

i applied for the scholarship in my application as an independent

Mar 9, 13 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

and to be honest i don't know how Columbia grants scholarships.. my friend applied as an independent and she received anything... do you think there are other factors?

Mar 9, 13 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
batman

i reapplied as an independent. I am hoping to hear back around March 15. trying to get something this time around!

when you applied as independent - it means you didn't include your parents info right?

Mar 9, 13 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

i included theirs.. how were you able to reapply?

Mar 9, 13 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
batman

i  just asked hahaah

wait so how did you apply as independent? what did you indicate on the application? or was this on FAFSA?

Mar 9, 13 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

it gives you an option to apply as an independent on the scholarship form and fafsa.. i'll ask them.. and i wonder if i can intern at the same time

Mar 9, 13 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
batman

most likely not. interninng and doing m.arch is very very hard. m.arch is a fulltime job

Mar 9, 13 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

ok -__- .. i guess its the same for ms.aad..which i'm in.. 

Mar 9, 13 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
observant

m.arch is a fulltime job

M.Arch., is 24/7, especially if the first one - that's why you have so many stressed out a-holes who have lost their sense of humor.

Mar 9, 13 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@ Helenekeys

@juventus7

there are definitely ppl already accepted to GSD MArch I AP. Even on gradcafe.

I might be doing a bad search on gradcafe but I really dont see anyone being accepted to M.Arch I with AP. Not even here on archinect. I hope they are saving those AP acceptance letters for a next wave. 

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=harvard+architecture&t=a&o=d&pp=100

Mar 9, 13 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

juventus7

It seems someone has post it that he/she was accepted by M.Arch 1 with AP. He/she was accepted on the same day but just posted a day later.

Mar 9, 13 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@gameboy

there is no financial aid for intl students at Columbia (crazy! i know)... so i never really intended to go there, just applied "to see"...

@kioola  i did my undergrad in Canada... ill refrain from mentioning my nationality online hehe

@yyymmm

still waiting for half of the schools before diving into research and decision! maybe we will all meet someday

Mar 9, 13 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

i just noticed that gsapp's 3 semester programs estimates up to $107,686.. i just made my own estimate and it is so much less.. lol i wonder why they exaggerated all those expense factors..

"...YOUR ACTUAL LIVING EXPENSES (ROOM, BOARD, BOOKS, CLOTHING, LAUNDRY, TRAVEL AND SUNDRY ITEMS) MAY VARY GREATLY."

i'm also not going to use their health insurance because i'm already covered...

i wonder if we have need buy books for studio??

Mar 9, 13 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
gameboy

@batman, @sensation. are you guys american or international? 

@helenakeys. i did my undergrad in Canada too. Columbia is too crazy about not offering financial aid... good thing yale isn't too far from nyc :) 

Mar 9, 13 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

i'm american 

Mar 9, 13 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
batman

AMURICAN

Mar 9, 13 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

quick question... is the fafsa supposed to be sent to Columbia Univ or Columbia Univ GSAPP? does it even matter?

Mar 9, 13 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
lrenechln

@mtt9999 & other GSD applicants

I received my package in the mail today with financial aid of a Tier 1 Grant ~15k... but may be considered for a larger Tier 2 Grant after updating my FAFSA with my parents' info

I applied to MDesS (History & Philosophy)

and I've also been offered admission to GSAPP (CCCP), UIC (MAD-Crit), & SVA's D-Crit program. Still waiting to hear back from the AA (History & Theory)

joining the conversation late in the game since I am looking to join history/theory/criticism programs and most of you guys are MArch I&II's

Mar 9, 13 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

nvm i sent it to the right code in the beginning of feb -__-

Mar 9, 13 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
watts
To the people who got in at gsapp, how did you find out about the scolarships?
Mar 9, 13 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

the scholarship award was in my admission letter, which i received yesterday.

"In addition, you have been awarded a scholarship in the amount of ...."

Mar 9, 13 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
watts
So in the letter not email?
Mar 9, 13 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

yes, in the letter

Mar 9, 13 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
caryatid

@Irenechin

Just got my GSD info as well, qualified for a 25k tier 2 grant - it's definitely worth updating your info.

Mar 10, 13 1:31 am  · 
 · 
yyymmm

Is it possible to have additional scholarships after other admitted students who have been awarded money decline their offers?

Mar 10, 13 1:32 am  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@gameboy

Canada, where from? arch bg?

Mar 10, 13 3:18 am  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

@juventus7

Actually there are two people in archinet who said they were accepted with AP and another one on gradcafe. Sadly.

Mar 10, 13 6:50 am  · 
 · 
zytls

Do you guys know whether Columbia gives scholarship to International students after their first year or basically no scholarship at all for the entire three years?

Mar 10, 13 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

@kioola O well, hopefully we get news. I have a friend on the GSD he asked how the admissions process was going and they told him that not all the decisions have been taken so far and we can expect emails next week. 

Mar 10, 13 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

@kioola...  yes but gradcafe and archinect are not mutually exclusive ;).. they are most likely the same person actually.  Still, thats at least 2 AP's.

Anyone knows the actual quota of international students (with degrees outside the US, not just by nationality) at these universities? is it somewhere around 10% for a class of 60?

cant wait for tmr lol.... i hope things settle down

Mar 10, 13 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Would all of you who got accepted be kind enough to share your portfolios in here (and which school you got accepted to) so us future applicants know the quality of work each school is looking for?  It would really help us prepare ourselves for grad school so we know what to aim for.  Thanks.

Mar 10, 13 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
jesusmaldonado

" @kioola O well, hopefully we get news. I have a friend on the GSD he asked how the admissions process was going and they told him that not all the decisions have been taken so far and we can expect emails next week."

OH FUCK YEAH

@accesskb
We should wait until the process is over, then we'll start a thread about our results as is tradition.

Mar 10, 13 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
batman

im still waiting for UCBerk and MIT

Mar 10, 13 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
tinson49

@zytls
Don't expect GSAPP for international scholarship. Prepare 100k for each year!

Mar 10, 13 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

Update  from me. 

IN: Yale, RISD

Waiting: GSAPP, MIT, Pratt

Yale offered  $$$$ and RISD offered $$

Not sure why no news from GSAPP yet I'm assuming I'm out. Yale was my first choice so I'm super excited! 

Anyone going to Yale for sure?

Mar 10, 13 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
helenakeys

this is post is for personal reasons XD

Mar 10, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
jchon

Question to those accepted at GSD and got large sums of scholarships...Exactly how did you get so much aid? I barely received any aid at all..is it because I'm applying from Canada, or I am just lower percentile of accepted students, or am I missing something out? Is there any other international aid for Canadians for GSD that I can apply now? 

And speaking of FAFSA, this I've never heard of it before, how much grant/scholarships does it usually offer to Canadian Students?

Mar 10, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

Just a quick update, today I got my GSD March 1 package and it came with a 27k grant.

SPEECHLESS........seriously.......I couldn't be more happy.......

So I already signed the whole thing and paid the $750 to accept the offer.

update:

In: GSD, GSAPP

Out: YSOA, UCLA

Waiting (but I already signed for GSD!...so don't care?...) : Princeton, Sci-Arc  

Mar 10, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

So people, raise those heads up and STAY positive! and be grateful for whatever you have been offered! 

Mar 10, 13 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Jono Lee

@kit.kat

Just out of curiosity, is that scholarship for all 3 years?

Mar 10, 13 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
kiana-hosseini

@disro

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Yale... Still haven't heard from a couple of schools but I prefer Yale anyway.

Mar 10, 13 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
korrego

@jawknow

Have no idea. It seems that is only for the 2013-2014 academic year. They gave me 20k of fed loans to borrow and some work study too. Either way, I've heard you find some sort of jobs after the first year and it gets more 'bearable.'  I was expecting to borrow some huge loans for the entire 3 and half years but now is gonna be for 2 and a half probably. It definitively looks WAY better to me! 

Mar 10, 13 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Jesus: would like to hear from the accepted applicants when they're all excited and around the thread, before they stop visiting the forums and get caught up in school/summer/preparations :)

Mar 10, 13 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
zytls

@tinson49 

yeah...but 100k is probably a little exaggerated? The tuition per year is about $46,000 and housing fee is about $10,000 

Mar 10, 13 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
caryatid

@jchon

Most likely because we are independents, us residents, and gave our parents' info to potentially qualify for the (larger) tier 2 grant. GSD also gives merit scholarships, though I'm not assuming that it will continue for all 3.5 years. 

Right now my best offer is definitely GSD money-wise, but MIT (still waiting) is my first choice and Yale apparently really wanted me, so I might be a better fit there. Tough choices, but I'm really grateful to have them in the first place. Any thoughts on MIT vs GSD vs YSOA? Especially for someone who wants to emphasize research and quantitative methods in the design process, and looking for professional/academic connections?

Mar 10, 13 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
gameboy

@helenakeys. yup i did arch for undergrad

Mar 10, 13 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
observant

@kit.kat

How does one get into Harvard and NOT get into UCLA?  The only thing I could think of is that California applicants flood Berkeley and UCLA for both the M.Arch. and in-state tuition.  California has almost 39 million residents.

Mar 10, 13 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
bfffffffffff

M.Arch 1 from a liberal arts background (totally excited and overwhelmed by all of this so far)

In: U.Mich, UVA, UW Seattle

Out: Rice

Waiting: GSD, GSAPP, Berkeley, UO

Mar 10, 13 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: