Archinect
anchor

USPS Multi Family Housing Mailbox Regulations

evilplatypus

I've spent the better part of the last 2 hours searching USPS web site, HUD, and on hold at multiple Chicago Post offices ( Quite possibly the dumbest people Ive ever spoken with) looking for the Federal design standards. Ive found the box dimensions but I want to verify layout Heights, reaches, etc. and if theres a preference not to seperate accessible boxes from the rest of the boxes ( seems wrong especially in a large building)

Does anyone have any postal regulations or is it submitted to the local postmaster for approval, end of story?

Nov 2, 07 12:00 pm
WtfWtfWtf™

I'll email you a sketch...hit me for a reply.

Nov 2, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

..at work

Nov 2, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

4B is no longer compliant...
4C in effect since 10/06

Nov 2, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

whats messed up is I got that catalouge sent to my house - seeing that link made me remember its in my samples closet. Yes I have a samples closet.

Nov 2, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Call the Postmaster.

I've always called them and they've always been quite helpful.

Nov 2, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The postmaster near you is not the postmaster in Chicago - Ive actually been calling the local postmaster for the last 3 hours now. No answer or busy signals. Anyways - thanks Poz- Ive been talking to a rep at Florence and He's filled me in.

Nov 2, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

wait- n arent u in Chicago? I thought i saw u were going to the meetup next week

Nov 2, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
n_

IYes, call the Postmaster of the area as restrictions vary from region to region.

Nov 2, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I gave you the right stuff EP....

Nov 2, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I know - thats how I got the rep. We dont need the package storage I dont believe - we have a package room and doorman, but I want to get the official text of the federal regulation to make sure they still dont require a package shelf even with the package room. Plus our client doesnt want a shelf below where newspapers and menues will pile up. Just a shelf deep enough to sort some letters at mail box height.

Nov 2, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Theres no way we are putting in that package locker - no fucking way

Nov 2, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

Just great....One of my projects is a mailroom renovation and I'll be using the Salsbury 4B #3614 mailboxes. Proposal architect approved and went to management company of bldg.

Nov 2, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

who needs mailboxes anyways??? the only thing you ever get anymore is junk mail

Nov 2, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

that's why we need bigger mailboxes - junk mail! And eBay....

Nov 2, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

NYC dept of buildings apt bdg mailbox standards
http://nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/standard10b.pdf

I assume these are CFR compliant for purposes of the USPS regs

Nov 2, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: