Archinect
anchor

USPS Multi Family Housing Mailbox Regulations

evilplatypus

I've spent the better part of the last 2 hours searching USPS web site, HUD, and on hold at multiple Chicago Post offices ( Quite possibly the dumbest people Ive ever spoken with) looking for the Federal design standards. Ive found the box dimensions but I want to verify layout Heights, reaches, etc. and if theres a preference not to seperate accessible boxes from the rest of the boxes ( seems wrong especially in a large building)

Does anyone have any postal regulations or is it submitted to the local postmaster for approval, end of story?

Nov 2, 07 12:00 pm
WtfWtfWtf™

I'll email you a sketch...hit me for a reply.

Nov 2, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

..at work

Nov 2, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

4B is no longer compliant...
4C in effect since 10/06

Nov 2, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

whats messed up is I got that catalouge sent to my house - seeing that link made me remember its in my samples closet. Yes I have a samples closet.

Nov 2, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Call the Postmaster.

I've always called them and they've always been quite helpful.

Nov 2, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The postmaster near you is not the postmaster in Chicago - Ive actually been calling the local postmaster for the last 3 hours now. No answer or busy signals. Anyways - thanks Poz- Ive been talking to a rep at Florence and He's filled me in.

Nov 2, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

wait- n arent u in Chicago? I thought i saw u were going to the meetup next week

Nov 2, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
n_

IYes, call the Postmaster of the area as restrictions vary from region to region.

Nov 2, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I gave you the right stuff EP....

Nov 2, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I know - thats how I got the rep. We dont need the package storage I dont believe - we have a package room and doorman, but I want to get the official text of the federal regulation to make sure they still dont require a package shelf even with the package room. Plus our client doesnt want a shelf below where newspapers and menues will pile up. Just a shelf deep enough to sort some letters at mail box height.

Nov 2, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Theres no way we are putting in that package locker - no fucking way

Nov 2, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

Just great....One of my projects is a mailroom renovation and I'll be using the Salsbury 4B #3614 mailboxes. Proposal architect approved and went to management company of bldg.

Nov 2, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

who needs mailboxes anyways??? the only thing you ever get anymore is junk mail

Nov 2, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

that's why we need bigger mailboxes - junk mail! And eBay....

Nov 2, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

NYC dept of buildings apt bdg mailbox standards
http://nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/standard10b.pdf

I assume these are CFR compliant for purposes of the USPS regs

Nov 2, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: