Archinect
anchor

Halloween Candy

So now that some of us are on the opposite end of things, what will you be handing out this evening? I remember as a kid those houses that offered the awesome full size candy bars, the not so great off brand cheap stuff and even the schlock who distributed apples. I've made it a point to try and hand out as many cavities tonight as possible. It'll be Now and Laters, Bit O' Honey and Laffy Taffy all the way.

Oct 31, 07 12:46 pm
dml955i

I'm with ether - I wanna be the house on the block that gives out the "good' candy... tonight's menu will consist of Fun Size Snickers, Milky Way, Reese's cups, and M&Ms...

One of my co-workers has a brilliant strategy for those pesky teenagers that show up at his door not even wearing costumes - he gives them raisins instead of candy! They never come back, he says...

Oct 31, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

oh man bit o' honey was horrible... i swear thats one of those candies that are only popular at Halloween because kids dont like it, so it ends up in the bellies of their parents.

now and laters plus laffy taffy equals a great house to stop at though.
dont be at all surprised if you have a bowl full of bit o' honey left over at the end of the night.

my personal favorites from when i was little were always good n' plenty. none of my friends liked them so i always ended up with boxes and boxes full. unfortunately my dad also really liked them and would frequently raid my halloween candy stash.

Who used their pillow cases as candy bags?
I had a plain white pillow case which was my favorite, i slept on it always and probably still have it. I would use it at halloween for trick or treating and then would leave the candy in there for weeks or months depending on how long it took to eat it all. Then, it would get washed, but would always faintly smell of candy corn, black licorice and chocolate. Maybe thats why it was my favorite pillow case...

Oct 31, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Great pillowcase remembrance, lletdownl, and yes, I used one too!

I'm handing out decent candy - Twix, Reeses, etc. - but now I'm kicking myself for not getting some raisins for the teenagers!

Oct 31, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
spark

at our house - snack size snickers, m&m's, and kit kats. We only buy the good stuff and hope for a low turnout.

For the teenagers with no costumes (whom my wife would normally deny any treat) and anyone over 6 that can't manage to say trick or treat, handfuls of candy from the homecoming parade three weeks ago that we picked up off the street.

Our technique is to keep the two candy bowls hidden, that way we can determine their treat. If they see large quantities of the good stuff, the word will get out on the street, resulting in no leftovers...

Oct 31, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

at our house, full sized snickers, reeses, twix, kit kats, and butterfingers...although I will be running out to get some raisins for those asshole teenagers with no costumes. Good call dml.

Oct 31, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

one year i gave out those extra large candy bars...kids loved them & cost a small fortune but oh well. we also had a group of japanese tourist visit. it was odd...3-4 little kids barely old enough to even understand what was happening and a bunch of parents & grandparents with cameras & video recorders. i remember watching them move down the street from house-to-house like a mob of paparazzi flashbulbs. i was in a custom so of course everybody in the party had ot pose with me for a picture like i was some kind of rock star or something...very amusing.

last couple of years i've skipped the candy in favor of passing out tequila shots

Oct 31, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I purchased 6 bags this morning. I gave a shout-out to my favorite candy bars: 3 Musketeers, Milky Way, and Crunch.

Oct 31, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Even though the porch light is stuck on (I'd have to unscrew the lightbulb), I only get 2-3 trick or treaters a year. The steep, uneven sandstone stairs with no handrail might have something to do with it. So full size candy bars for the few kids who dare venture up.

Oct 31, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im giving out godiva truffles. of course i live in a building that has no access from the outside without a key, guess i'll have some leftovers.

Oct 31, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

we used to have one old man that would wrap three hershey
bars in black and orange streamer packages every year...
or at least that's how i remember it. he always invited the
parents and kids in for a few minutes and gave them out
like more of a gift than something cheap...probably the only
reason i ever got to know him even a little bit...and definitely
one of the reasons i remember him...even though i don't
really like hershey's..that kind of care deserves to be noticed.

Oct 31, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

My kids are getting old enough that I suspect this may be their last year of trick-or-treating (yes, they are teenagers, but just barely, and they WILL be in costume).

Anyway, living in LA and in a neighborhood close to a major movie studio, we have many neighbors that work in movies or TV (nobody famous). Our neighborhood is an absolute delight. You have all seen neighborhoods that go way over the top on Christmas decorations. Well, our neighborhood goes absolutely nuts on Halloween. Deoorations have been going up for several weeks. We have multiple houses in the neighborhood that become full-blown haunted houses, we have adults answering their doors in full costume (and I mean real professional stuff). We have dry ice machines, colored lights, etc., etc. It's pretty damn cool. Our kids have grown up with this type of atmosphere and, as you can imagine, they are struggling to give it up.

The downside to all of this is that we get people coming in from outside our neighborhood. We literally have vans and small buses pulling up on our street and off-loading hoardes of kids (and some adults) that don't even live in the neighborhood. Our candy bill is outrageous. We try to buy good stuff, but I must confess we buy the small sizes. I can assure you, though, that by the end of the night kids are dragging big lawn-size trash bags around behind them that are full. We don't feel too bad giving out small-size candies knowing that the kids will get plenty of loot by the time the evening is over.

Good point about the teenagers (and some adults, frankly) that show up without costume and more or less demand candy. I like the raisin idea....I'm leaving work a little early to stop by the store.

Oct 31, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anybody know how to put a razor blade in an apple? i've never had any luck concealing the hole.

Oct 31, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LSD

Oct 31, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
lineman

MDLER...
how much of your modeling supplies come from china???

Oct 31, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

We used to live in the "ice box" of Connecticut, a small New England Picturesque town where the locals from the rural area bring their kids to tricker treat. So someone had the great idea to close down all the motor traffic on one of the house lined streets and allow people to
have a nice experience with trick or treating. It was such a great success that the local drug store had a drop off for people to leave
candy and money to purchase candy for the people that lived on our street. It was way better than having halloween parties at the community room as many places do. We loved it and of course took
pictures of all our treater so the Library could post them on their community board.

Oct 31, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

reese's, kitkats, twizzlers, butterfingers... all the good stuff. Haven't seen a kid yet, though, so it may be coming to studio with me tomorrow!

Oct 31, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
jones

we don't have too many on t-o-treaters on our street, but when they come we have plenty of pnut butt cups, kitkats, and snickers.

About ten years ago I had a close friend that was surprised by trickortreaters....what does he throw in the bag for the kiddos? taco bell hot sauce packets and pennies.

Oct 31, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

So all night we had 3 trick-or-treaters. 3. This was the wrong time of year to swear off candy and beer till graduation.

Oct 31, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
spark

I decided tonight that the model for future residential development should be based on pleasant and efficient trick or treating. Houses closely spaced, with front porches, accessibility (for those difficult costumes, i.e. my daughter's kimono and my son's Christmas tree), wide sidewalks, low scale lighting, and plenty of exterior receptacles (powered by PV cells) to plug in all the accessories in the yard.

cars okay, but they need to be going slow, young kids out with their parents and siblings, older kids out with their friends, neighbors greeting each other, etc.

Who has some money so I can do this?

oh, and I almost forgot, a corner dentist's office.

Nov 1, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Broad Ripple has pretty much this layout of which you speak, spark...well, Warfleigh anyway.

Idyllic Halloween night here, helped in part by the dry high-60s weather. Husband took the boy out and said it was perfect - kids running aorund, lots of decorations, neighbors all chatting (some with drinks in hand). I had about 30 visits here at the house, lots of cute costumes. The best was a pair of 10yos, one dressed as a zombie, the other as Michael jackson, and at my request they did Thriller dance moves! And bonus: not a single child/teen not in costume (except the 2yo who cried whenever her parents put on her bug outfit - so they carried it around with her and put on the hat when they came to a door.)!

Just a perfect midwestern neighborhood experience last night.

Nov 1, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 
postal

rfuller, we had... zero

and it's understandable, our little coachhouse is in the back. but my fiance had the whole place decorated. she really likes trick or treaters.

looks like i'll have to take care of peanut m&m's, butterfingers, milky ways, and boxes of nerds.

Nov 1, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Huge success last night in our neighborhood. Much like LB said, lots of kids and adults out on a warm evening. We had a massive number of trick-or-treaters. Our teenagers ran off with their friends and had a great time. The haunted house provided by the next door neighbors was a huge success with a line down the street waiting to get in. We felt like we were living next to an amusement park. Screams could be heard until they finally shut down at 10:00.

An interesting non-Halloween activity that sprang out of the festivities was that we ended up having an un-planned and very informal open house. Since we completed a major renovation of our house (basically rebuilt from the foundation up) this past year, many of our neighbors that had not yet seen the interior of our house took the opportunity while roaming the neighborhood to ask for a tour of our house. We were happy to comply and, basically, a party broke out.

Thankfully, we have little candy left.

Nov 1, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sounds great, Ledoux's Eye - despite the need for planning we architects have in our DNA, those impromptu parties are often the best ones! (Not hurt of course by taking place in no doubt beautiful surroundings!)

Nov 1, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
ether

I loved the raisin idea! I even managed to stop on my way hope to pick some up.

And loved the pillow case story, lletdownl, though I can only remember carrying around those orange plastic pumpkins as a kid.

I think it's rained or threated to rain on Halloween here for the past three years here. Though the temperature was lovely, the clouds loomed. I'll say I was rather disappointed in the turn out. There aren't a hunge number of kids on our street but I did expect more. Maybe the weathers to blame or maybe there's a neighborhood similar to Ledoux's Eye that was invaded! In the end, we have waaay too much left over candy and I'll be eating raisins for the next couple of weeks!

I managed to carve a pumpkin this year but am not always so diligent. I had wanted to start a thread hoping to display everyone's but forgot until it was too late. Auburn CADC hosts Pumpkin Carve every year. Basically the Design students carve pumpkins the Friday before Halloween and put them on display for the community to come see and possibly purchase. There are awards and guest appearances. It's a whole lot of fun. In the end, the kids get to see a bunch of funky carved pumpkins and the AIAS raises a little bit of money.

Nov 1, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

last night i realized that halloween and july 4th are my favorite holidays - the only time the entire neighborhood is outside and mingling.
reminds me of the passeggiata.

good times.

but man was it windy and cold here in the high desert...

Nov 1, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: