Archinect
anchor

GreenBuild?

dml955i

Anyone go to GreenBuild last year? My firm just picked me to go this year (waited until almost the last minute) and I'm wondering what to expect... As I was registering, it looks like pretty much all of the educational sessions, workshops, tours, etc. are already sold out...

Oct 26, 07 8:56 am
4arch

There will still be plenty of opportunities for attending the feee educational sessions.

Oct 26, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
n_
Greenbuild 2007

thread

Oct 26, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

yes, the earlier GreenBuild thread was oh so informative - I found the discussion of hotels particularly stimulating...

Oct 26, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I have gone to Greenbuild the past two years and will be back this year. There are a lot of things the basic cost of admission gets you for free.

On the first official morning you will have the plenary session and keynote speech, which if nothing else, is worth going to for getting you in an overly enthsiastic mood about USGBC and green building. This year's keynote speaker will be Bill Clinton.

The majority of the rest of the conference is divided between free education sessions and the trade show floor being open. The free education sessions are hit or miss. Some of them are inspiring, intriguing, and innovative, and others are pure crap. There will be a few morning and afternoon slots each day and during each time slot you will be able to choose from a number of sessions and attend on a first come first served basis. The trade show floor has a lot of corporatism and greenwashing, but it also has some innovative products and orgainzations. It's a good place for networking. Try not to accept a lot of literature on the floor. All the companies/organizations there have websites and lugging around paper gets to be a burden. Try to plan enough time to walk the entire floor and visit all the booths that interest you. It seems to work better to do them in order rather than wasting time skipping around.

One thing I didn't realize the first time I was there is that breakfast and lunch are included Wednesday and Thursday. So don't forget to take advantage of that. The leadership awards party on Thrusday night is also part of the cost of admission, but it tends to be a lot of stuffed suits.

As for the sold out paid tours and education sessions, I would not feel too let down about not attending. Most of the paid education sessions will be offered throughout the year by your local USGBC chapter so you can usually take them at home just as easily. Some of the tours this year looked interesting, but with the way they group them all on Friday and Saturday, I'd have more fun using the time just to go out exploring the city in my own way.

Oct 26, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Thanks 4arch - exactly what I was looking for...

Oct 26, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: