Archinect
anchor

Dinner With A Celebrity Architect Part II-Champagne & Sketches?

clerestory strip™

Hello all,

I guess you all know I'm going to NYC in a few weeks to see my favourite architect at a reception/book signing. I was wondering, should I let him look at a few of my sketches to get his input? Or, do you think it's a waste of time and I should just let y'all check 'em out instead?

Thanks!

Oct 24, 07 6:06 pm
snooker

toss up your sketches....and we can tell you which ones he might like.

Oct 24, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
grid

i've been meaning to start a sketch thread... make a new thread titled "October Sketch Thread" (or make it November already since we're almost there) where we can all post sketches. fun times!

Oct 24, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

we've already got this one.

Oct 24, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
grid

yeah - that one it too computer based though. I'm thinking along the lines of freehand sketches that pertain to anything. check the sketch threads at yayhooray - they have some amazing stuff...and is continually being updated.

Oct 24, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

screenshots are just so much easier than scanning and importing and uploading or using a camera. i don't sketch much, so i'd have little to present, but i'd love to see others too.

start it up grid.

Oct 24, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh, sorry...

[/hijack]

Oct 24, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

he'll probably be too busy at the event to look at your sketches. you might want to just apply for a job through traditional means.

the only way it would be appropriate, in my opinion, is if you had a good conversation going on already for at least 10 minutes and he was obviously interested in what you've been saying. then you could whip out the sketches.

then again, i'm a timid person. maybe being brash about it would work. but it's risky that he'll just be annoyed.

Oct 24, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Hi all, thanks for your input...

I'm not formally looking for a job-I'm just wanting to know if he thought I had any talent for design.

I will post some of my drawings when I have time to scan them...they are really rough, as I do most of them on a moving vehicle :)

I'm thinking the event may be so busy he won't have time-but I might take a few with me just for the heck of it.

Oct 24, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Here's a sketch for you all to critique. Keep in mind I have no formal architectural training, so it may not be a workable design...and I did draw this thing while on the bus home....be gentle...

Oct 25, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I'm getting a blue box with a question mark in it....let me know if you can see the image.

Oct 25, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

WE ARE GETTING A WHITE BOX WITH A RED X.....DAMN IT MUST BE A HOT SKETCH!

Oct 25, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Dang it...let me try again....

www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/C3/76/FC/iC376FC93-4A24-4D97-8152-36FF9DE61068.jpg

I had to link it...otherwise it won't work...

Oct 25, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

For a drawing done on a bus that's pretty damn nice!

And I'm not surprised that it looks quite Meier-esque.

Oct 25, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Architectress, was it a magic bus?!? One with no bumps and inspiration pumping through the vents?!

I tease, of course....the sketch is lovely. Take it! :o)

Oct 25, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Thank you ! (blush) It was just an ordinary city bus...but then, of course, it may have been bus #870 :)

Oct 25, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I will move this link to the sketches thread. I need more feedback....

Nov 17, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

please do...I completely missed this thread. I like the sketch very meiereque as Liberty noted, but what happened to the rest of it?

Nov 17, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I started the sketch on the edge of the paper...why I did that I don't know...laziness I suppose...

Nov 17, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
grid

more sketches... use pen! revive the sketch thread.

Nov 17, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

the sketch has been moved to the official sketch thread.

Nov 28, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: