Archinect
anchor

SoCal FIRE thread

****melt
YUMMY
Oct 24, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

back to the original question by urbanist. AFH San Diego and LA are responding. Meetings this week on long term rebuilding strategy.

as for the rest of you, enjoy sucking on your goats head soup in your cubies.

C.

Oct 24, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

long term rebuilding strategy....

sub-divisions everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 24, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if we stopped the war in Iraq for 2 days we could divert enough $$$ to SoCal to rebuild

Oct 24, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

ok.. not practical or realistic I know, but here's what I'd like to see come out of this rebuilding meeting:

- denser, more compact cities at the centers

- non-replacement of burnt urban areas (compensate the homeowners with adequate insurance payouts and then sell'em condos downtown)

- goats everywhere

Oct 25, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

This is reminescent of the Great Fire in 1871.

Perhaps this is one chance LA gets to becoming the new Chicago of the 21st century? That is of course in the context of global warming and all the other issues.

Oct 25, 07 12:47 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

mdler, for $2.4 trillion (the projected cost of this war), we could rebuild San Diego from scratch.. all of it

Oct 25, 07 12:48 am  · 
 · 
binary

it's a sign from the universe.......

b

Oct 25, 07 12:57 am  · 
 · 
mdler

you do have to ask yourself if the leader of LA and San Diego will start to consider denser, smarter development???

Oct 25, 07 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

well.. they already are doing that, mdler. San Diego's refocused much of its new growth strategy at its core, and its been pretty successful to date. LA is starting to the same, also quite effectively.

But what should be done with the sprawl that's already there? You can't densify all of it or the southland will have 40 million people or more... which brings me to my consensus that the outer 'burbs must somehow be selectively culled. We can start by not rebuilding the burnt subdivisions.

Oct 25, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Urbanist

besides the redevelopment of Downtown LA, little has been changed to increase the density of things. The city needs to allow for high rise (10 -20 story) development in areas such as Silverlake / Echopark / Pasadena / etc... At the present time we are still operating on the single family, 35' or less maximum building height model. This creates a situation where the site is built upon to its maximum capacity (putting only 14' between houses) which creates a situation for flame spread.

Imagine if concrete and steel towers in parks will built (ala Corb) in lieu of the shitty McMansions on the hills

Oct 25, 07 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

ah.. I must admit I don't know too much about LA.. apart from reading about the big redevelopment projects.

San Diego's strategy has been pretty successful in CCDC's redevelopment area (the square mile downtown), which has been progressively and quite radically upzoned. Densification proposals in the uptown neighborhoods have, however, been less successful, meeting substantial opposition from residents.

Oct 25, 07 1:51 am  · 
 · 
mdler

LA still loves the single family home

Oct 25, 07 2:05 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This Google map of the fires in San Diego is amazing:

KPBS map

Oct 25, 07 2:08 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Architects also love designing single family homes for Los Angelenos. Perhaps we should start a design embargo against single family homes in fire zones. Or single family homes period.

Oct 25, 07 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

hehe Janosh.. my guess is they'll build'em anyway... with or without architects

Oct 25, 07 2:38 am  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Uh, just like the solution to world peace and world happiness...
build more motocross tracks. (design automatic 2000 foot wide swaths of firebreak...sound like a plan?)

"...The day is coming, just look on high, our own apocalypse is falling from the sky..........I Like The Rain" (Joe Satriani)
(lyric slightly changed, from Is There Love In Space? album)

After the wash...
Before the fire...
I will decay...
Melt in your arms...
As the day...
Hits the night...
We will sit...
By candle light...
We will laugh...
We will sing...
When the saints go marching in...
And we will carry war...
no more.

-Tears for Fears (Famous Last Words)

I have nothing else to contribute. Calicornya has legislated itself right up the poopchute. Did anyone see Schwartzenegger running around yesterday screaming "IT'S NOT A TUMOR!! IT'S NOT A TUMOR!!"

"We'll SMOKE 'EM OUT" (George W. Bush) ...strangely apocalyptic.

"It's the little touches that make a future solid enough to be destroyed" - William S. Burroughs

Oct 25, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

"Today your life may look dismal, but tomorrow life will be better."
- Bush, speaking in San Diego to firestorm victims

Uh. Huh. Gee. Huh?

Oct 25, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

didnt he say this a few weeks ago to someone else?

Oct 25, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

mdler, I suspect facile repetition is how he exercises whatever neurons he has left

Oct 26, 07 2:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: