Archinect
anchor

Dream House or Nightmare

emaze
http://www.newsweek.com/id/52608?GT1=10450

I love the part about how they have too much unusable space

Oct 18, 07 2:14 pm
SDR

Maybe I'm just too old -- and not a home-owner -- but what would be wrong with living in your dream house -- with its lifetime roof -- for thirty years or more ? Do they HAVE to sell and move in five years ? Why -- just so they can feel they made a "profit" ?

Is it wake-up time in America ?

Oct 18, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

anybody who thought double digit inflation of housing prices would or could continue indefinitely was a damn fool. maybe they want out within 5 years because they don't want to be stuck there when society realizes how truly worthless their house is. today's mcmansion = tomorrow's slum.

in the meantime, partition off some of that unused space and make it into an apartment.

Oct 19, 07 7:58 am  · 
 · 
SDR

This same scenario is playing out all across the country, I imgine.

A fool and his money are soon parted ?

Oct 19, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

3500 square feet? this place is undersized and in no way meets dream homability.

Oct 19, 07 8:12 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I don't think this is a McMansion -- though it might be in most parts of the world. Again, why don't they suck it up and realize they have what they need, and more -- like most Americans ?

Oct 19, 07 8:28 am  · 
 · 

i've never felt like my 1800sf house was too small until last night when i realized that the party we're having this weekend, organized through an evite email, has [i]over 60 rsvps[i/]!!! anybody have a mcmansion i can borrow - near louisville?

Oct 19, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Ha ! How big is the yard ?

Oct 19, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

kegger at steven ward's. wooohoooo!

Oct 19, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 

yeah. may have to rethink the pony keg....

Oct 19, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Rock on. A crowded party is more fun. . .

Oct 19, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 

its a 'welcome the brand new baby!' party for our best friends.

Oct 19, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Oh. Well as long as they stay home, everything will be groovy. Won't they be exhausted ? (This must be my grandma voice. . .)

Oct 19, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hmmm i havent received an invitaion, must have got lost in the email.

Oct 19, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Sorry -- didn't meant to harsh the party. The newly-borns will be ecstatic -- and if they retire a little early, who'll notice ? Par-tay, dude ! And give them my best wishes.

Oct 19, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

What is the address...we will have our lear...drop us off for the event of the year....

Oct 19, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

you don't know 'em vado, and they made the invite list. sorry.

if you're pretty good at landing that lear, snooker, you could have landed it right on the court between our houses!

...but you weren't on their list either.

Oct 19, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

That's right -- you live in that cool "no fences make good neighbors" neighborhood. Those overflow guests could be anybody's ! You're golden. . .

Oct 19, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Great, so the drunken teenagers can wake up in someone else's yard!

Oct 19, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I don't have any drunken teenagers. Can I rent one ?

Oct 19, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: