Archinect
anchor

Name my conceptual model!

Jr.

Okay, so let's say I'm using AutoCAD to map out a system of communication/information exchange. I've got a web of interlocking nodes on the XY plane. X1Y1 is connected by a line to Y1Y1, but also to X3Y3, etc. Maybe it's not exactly a web, because that sounds like a closed system--some points are connected to only one other point, while some are connected to multiple points. Points can be added or subtracted at will.

So, this is pretty simply a 2-dimensional web or network or...some better term I also can't think of now. But what do I call it when I also map points along the Z-axis? X1Y1Z0 is also connected to X3Y3Z3, or Z-3. It's now a 3d web--it's easy enough to model in AutoCAD, but what is it called? Is there an elegant name for a three-dimensional open network?

To make matters worse, it turns out that lines aren't connecting points or nodes in a precise manner. It's like the new guy at the office had never heard of object snap, and just eyeballed it to draw lines between nodes. A lot of lines end up pretty close to X1Y1, for instance, but when you zoom in, you can see that they are not precisely on top of X1Y1. As it turns out, that's how it's supposed to look. So, my 3d open network also has fuzzy nodes.

There must be a better way to say that. Any ideas?

Oct 3, 07 8:23 am

cogito ergo snap/link

Oct 3, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
boxy

sounds like 3dh to me

Oct 3, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 

strings and cans.

Oct 3, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Somewhere within this paragraph from "Tip-of-the-tongue Phenomena: An introductory phenomenological analysis" by Steven Ravett Brown and Bruce Mangan I believe we can find a name for your problem-drawing (emphasis mine):

I will argue that James's concept of the phenomenon of fringes, as explicated by Gurwitsch, provides a structural framework from which to investigate and better understand ideas and concepts that are indeterminate, particularly those experienced in the sense of being sought-after. ...Starting from an analysis of the fringes, I will turn to a consideration of the tip-of-tongue (TOT) state, as a kind of feeling-of-knowing (FOK) state

It's almost there....almost..........

Oct 3, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

digital tinker toys

Oct 3, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
binary

(DER)-unitarian/preF.A.B

Oct 3, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Ha...at least you all made me laugh after a long night of trying to figure things out. Can you imagine having to cite "Hi all you fancy graphic lovers" in a footnote if I call it 3dh?

jafidler, I wish "digital tinker toys" would fly, because that's how I visualized it when I tried to describe it in seminar.

If it helps, the Z axis represents time. X and Y map the transfer of knowledge between nodes in the present tense, +Z is the future, and -Z is the past.

Also, if it helps, the 2d version of this (without using Z to historicize events) was simply called a "web" by the author I'm citing.

Oct 3, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually like "strings and cans" best.

Oct 3, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

"cloud"

Oct 3, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

I like strings and cans, too, and I drew it out this a.m., but I'm not sure it works. Inserting new cans at intersections seems like a problem. Also, the flow of information from a can seems unidirectional. You have to move the can to hear things from it, you can't talk and receive simultaneously...

This sounds ridiculous, but I am really interested in figuring out (and naming) a model.

Oct 3, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

molecular vectors

Oct 3, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

can we see?

Oct 3, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

snjr, what do those "fuzzy nodes" represent -- are they missed connections and cell dropout ?

Oct 3, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

How about "web" ?

Oct 3, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

george

Oct 3, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

The fuzzy nodes on the XY plane are urban sites out of which/into which knowledge is extended. Some of this local knowledge is intramural, produced within the walls of the observatory. Some is extramural, but still intraurban, produced or at least mediated outside the observatory, but contained within the city wall, and then some of it is ex urbis. If you zoom out far enough, the node looks like a node, but if you zoom in closely, you can see that the knowledge vectors leave and depart from different localities within the city, not just a single locality.

The temporal nodes on the Z axis...hm...they seem less fuzzy. They are more about predicting future locations of planets, but also predicting future behavior, or evoking past behavior and sites. I'll have to think about it.

"Web" is fine, but a) Tony Ballantyne already owns that term in the history of imperial knowledge exchange and b) webs "feel" flat to me, like spider webs. In theory, I suppose they are 3d, but I want to name my web in a way that expresses the inherest 3dness of it.

God, I sound like Per.

Oct 3, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
spark

spider veins
or
generative discombobulata
or
dropped spaghetti of the uncooked variety
or
rainman and his toothpicks
or
gestaltic inferencism
or
sloppy drafting

Oct 3, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

not sure i really understand your project but here it goes...

adhok interactional modulation

...then relate modulation to Structure and Corb (tectonics and history) and youll be in good shape

Oct 3, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
spark

randomized spaceframe
or
porcupine net
or
inefficient dumpster loading
or
things that make the client go huhhh?

Oct 3, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

spark, you might have hit on a winner for me, across your two posts. Can I have a generative spaceframe, instead of a randomized spaceframe? An irregular generative spaceframe.

Oct 3, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
upside

clusterfuck

Oct 4, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
SDR

You're mad. . .MAD, I say. . .!

Oct 4, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
SDR

tangle

Oct 4, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

fuzzy web

fuzzy net

fuzzy wuzzy

Oct 4, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

maybe call it your 'ding-a-ling'?

Oct 4, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Thanks, everyone--I proposed an "irregular but generative spaceframe" and didn't get laughed out of the room. I'm going to keep this list to make myself laugh in the future, when writing my dissertation makes me want to cry.

My ding-a-ling, indeed.

Oct 5, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: