Archinect
anchor

Foreign architect blues

corbusier4eva

So, I've earned all my NCARB IDP training units, yay, but I still have to go through the lengthy and expensive EESA education assessment, and then all the ARE exams to complete in order to call myself....

An Architect. Oh, and I get a cool stamp too.

Its a bit disheartening, considering I'm a foreign registered architect since 2003 (I registered after 4 years working and taking an exam), and I've heard horror stories of the NAAB making you repeat 12 grade math and english tests because you have a foreign degree. I've spent 8 years at university for my degrees. Doesn't that count for something??

Any archinectors been through this process and come out the other side? Is going through this process worth it?

Sep 30, 07 12:39 pm
vi_d

What state are you getting your license in and how important is it to get licensed in that particular state? New York has a route for foreign architects licensed in their home country that allows them to skip IDP and NCARB reviews altogether and move directly into taking ARE. You can call New York licensing board and discuss your situation with them. I am doing my license in New York even though I work in Philly…

Sep 30, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

I'm in Nevada, but possibly soon to be in either California or Illinois. From what I can tell, licensing in all of these states is a nice to have, but not a necessity.

I'll check out the New York requirements, as if I can bypass the EESA assessment, that would be great!

Sep 30, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

once you're licensed in NY, you can get licensed in all 49 states except cali. I believe if you get licensed in cali its good in all 50 but they may have tougher requirements than NY.

Sep 30, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Whoa, watch out Apurimac, that's not necessarily true. Some states make you take supplemental exams to transfer your license; some require proof of IDP completion (or its sometime-alternate, the Broadly Experienced Architect certification); some still run you through the ringer to prove reciprocity of your architectural degree. Remember, the state licensing board is the one that can get sued if you screw up; they're not going to be any easier than NCARB.

Sep 30, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

good to know myriam

Sep 30, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Plus it costs around $1,000 - $2,000 to transfer licenses, depending on the state's fees, and you have to go through interviews and stuff to complete the process. I looked into all this a little while ago for myself, and was astounded that it wasn't anywhere near as easy as I had hoped it would be. Bummer.

Sep 30, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Reciprocity isn't generally $1k to $2k in most states - but it's far from automatic either - even for US citizens with accredited professional degrees, IDP, and the ARE:
A lot of states require NCARB certification as the only way to apply for reciprocity, while others have alternate ways to apply (but sometimes those alternates do include interviews, portfolio submittals, etc.) You can't apply for NCARB certification until you have a license in at least one state. NCARB certification takes on average 5 to 8 months to receive, and then you forever have to pay your $190 annual NCARB dues (in addition to annual state dues.) Each time you transmit your NCARB record to a state there is a $300 fee and it takes about a month to transmit.
State fees for reciprocity application are anywhere from $10 to over $500, depending on which state you're applying to and which method of application. But for the most part they're in the $30 to $100 range. Each state's annual dues also vary within that same range...

If you get licensed in any state under any "alternate" rules - and don't have IDP, a US NAAB-accredited professional degree, and the ARE - then you will typically encounter even more trouble with reciprocity in other states. Each state has their own rules, and being licensed in one by no means guarantees that another will grant you a license.

As for the first poster: many people get through the degree evaluation - and yes, some need to complete additional coursework. If you're thinking of getting licensed in CA and IL specifically then check directly with those states' boards for the requirements. CA and NCARB typically do not use the same evaluation service for foreign degrees - which in some cases results in candidates ultimately having to get their degrees evaluated twice.

Oct 2, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: