Archinect
anchor

Illustrator->PDF screw-up

randomized

hey,
do any of you have this problem that when you make your poster or whatever in illustrator and you make it into a pdf to show onscreen, so no printout, it looks horrible and all your delicate lines look fat and ugly? Some help how to solve this?

Sep 29, 07 11:30 pm
BabbleBeautiful

Funny I saw this post, I actually have the same issue when printing PDF documents from InDesign.

Sep 30, 07 4:42 am  · 
 · 
grid

when you zoom in they are normal... when you are zoomed out they look stupid... right?

Sep 30, 07 5:02 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I think that's just part of the compression and how Acrobat displays images. Have you tried "fullscreen" mode? Does it print OK?

Sep 30, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 
randomized

My files print just fine, but when I want to send them to people on-line to review them (in PDF), even in fullscreen mode they look terrible and very unprofessional. There is no trick or illustrator function to fix it?

Sep 30, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

well, maybe actual image files would be more appropriate. on second thought though--are you formatting your PDF for screen or print (the settings for each are in the PDF printer)? The print version has a much higher resolution and may be why it looks wonky on-screen.

Sep 30, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
e

The has been a problem in the past. I recently purchased CS3 Professional that comes with Acrobat and it seems they have solved that it in the lastest version.

Sep 30, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I have CS3 and I still have this problem.
It prints out what it shows in Acrobat. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Sep 30, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

Do you have Acrobat Pro? Maybe there is a distinction betwen the Pro and less robust version of their software.

Sep 30, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Yeah, Pro.

Sep 30, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

maybe save illustrator as pdf, rasterize pdf as jpeg, then back to pdf if you must have pdf format.

i've had many a random problem with the illustrator - acrobat pdf transition.

Sep 30, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Even on 72dpi it looks ugly...

Sep 30, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Flatten your PDF's into images for on-screen presentation. PDF lines are only loosely to scale when zoomed out.

Sep 30, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I think I figured it out (for InDesign). In the print dialogue box, select PDF and select options in the left Menu. In the Images: Send Data dropdown menu chose All.

Oct 2, 07 2:11 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it's how acrobat compresses vector graphics for display. not much you can do about it. my advice is to take your pdf and convert it to a 200-300 dpi jpg in photoshop. use the jpg for on-screen/ppt display. use the pdf to print.

Oct 2, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: