Archinect
anchor

cad 2004 keeps locking up...help

binary

so i have some splines for some text files that i converted so i can laser cut them..... well, damn cad keeps locking up.....do i need to boost up my virtual memory or something...... i only have itunes running also......

or do i need a better laptop with more ram?....

b

Sep 28, 07 7:33 pm
rehiggins

you probably need more ram…why did you need to convert the text to splines? I've found that text (as text) prints fine to a laser cutter from autocad (as long as you're using a vector font like .shx or most .ttf/.otf)

Sep 30, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
binary

yeah....

not really sure how the laser at the shop is setup...last time i tried to do a font, it ended up etching the full fill and not just doing the outline....

the font i am using is a .ttf so maybe it will work without me converting in illustrator then export to a .dwg

b

Sep 30, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

well, can you do a font that is just an outline? the laser that I've used would cut the fill as well, but that's what I wanted at the time. vector information should be translated as vector info, no matter if the line is part of a letter or something else. I guess the best thing to do is try a few tests before cutting the final pieces (hopefully you have time for a bit of trial and error)

Oct 1, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
binary

i ended up exporting as a .dwg from illustrator...

the trick though when in cad is to turn off the o-snap..... since i had alot of splines and had my snap on, it tried to read all the vertices in the splines and was the reason the cad shorted out ....nnnzoottttt

considering it's just text then for me to free-ball the layout is fine...

b

Oct 1, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: