Archinect
anchor

3-d printer.... max size and where?

binary

so i have a project that i want to 3-d print a model that is 24"x24" roughly....about 8" max high......

all i found here in detroit was 10"x10" roughly....

i can split it if needed...but if i can cast it in 1 piece or 2 pieces that would be cool....

anyone work with a 3d printer and can toss me a linky

thanks
b

Sep 22, 07 8:59 pm
aaandrew

sorry i can't help, except to make sure that you've considered the cost of this idea.

here, a 24x24x8 3d print would probably cost a cool $800.

Sep 22, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

How much does something like that cost to do ?

I am assuming that is expensive

Sep 23, 07 1:31 am  · 
 · 
binary

800 is fine by me...if the layers are the thinest possible.....

id rather 3d print the thing than build the entire model by hand...... just need it for a cast anyways....

b

Sep 23, 07 5:03 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you are actually looking at about $4 per cubic inch...if not more.

Sep 23, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

24*24*8=4608 *4 = $18,432

plus, one would need to part the model up as 2 ft. x 2 ft. is more than likely much larger than the average z-corp bed...you might have a minimum of 4 parts.

Sep 23, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i am shocked at the cost of 3d printing. in grad school, we'd whip off models all the time. didn't think about cost. to imagine that those models were actually worth thousands seems absurd to me.

i can't remember the exact dimensions of a typical z-corp bed, but i'm guessing you would have to break it up into four separate prints. 8" is also at the maximum end of its possible depth.

Sep 23, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
aaandrew

we have to pay for ours. apparently, the machine itself costs something like $40,000, and the powder is $1,000 for a bucket (gallon I assume?).

a model that fits into 6x6x6in usually runs 10-20 dollars. what really drives the cost up is solid objects, thick walls, etc., since you are charged by cubic inch of powder...$5 here.

Sep 23, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

We pay $9-$12 a cubic inch for ABS plastic 3d prints. I think support material is a dollar or two less...

Sep 23, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
binary

the project is a site model at 1/200..... would take me about 2 months to build it really...... i have the project in autocad with extruded shapes./...more of a massing model........

b

Sep 23, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Why dont you use a cnc router to mill it out? A lot cheaper, faster.

Sep 23, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
binary

theres alot of inside corners and gaps between the buildings..... a 1/16th bit would prolly do it...... there would be less sanding/finishing if i could 3d it rather that cnc.......

b

Sep 23, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary

question

so i a few blocks in the dwg i'm working on..... when i go to export as an .stl file, will it read those blocks as a solid like the rest of the extruded masses i have?.... i tried to explode the block and union the forms but the block would erase when i would try to explode it.....

i got the blocks from another model and i think the original forms were made in another program maybe..like viz..then import into cad...i dont know..... i cant union the forms in the original .dwg i have either....

any suggestions

b

Sep 23, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: