Archinect
anchor

Calatrava is trapped in Venice... Ando goes to Venice

iaakuza

Just two news from Italy (we are still alive...).
Yesterday the municipality announced that Punta della Dogana will be renovated by Tadao Ando (it should cost 20 M €). The project is about the expansion of Palazzo Grassi and transforming the old building into a beautiful place for exhibitions.
In the meanwhile, the mayor revealed another delay for Calatrava's bridge (endless problems, structural mistakes made by Calatrava... i made a short summary here: maybe it won't be ready for the end of the year, more probably it will be unveil next spring.

Sep 22, 07 11:07 am
iaakuza

i also made a mistake posting the wrong link...
anyway it should be this:
http://iaakuza.blogspot.com/search/label/Calatrava

Sep 22, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 

re the calatrava story. one thing i don't understand - it sounds as though calatrava is also now not involved is that correct?

Sep 22, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
grid

on a similar note - does anyone have a topographic map of venice? or 3d model? Anyone know of a good source to find these?

Sep 22, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
justmefromla

^^ u must be doing the 2gcompetition in Venice...right?

Sep 23, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
iaakuza

Unfortunately, grid, i've no idea how to get those maps.

About what p2an said, the situation is quite weird because the paternity of the project belongs to calatrava (the municipality is quite proud of it, he represents a "new" brand for the "old" city) but at the same time, the project, in terms of structural details is different. A professor from the uni of Padova, called by the company that is building the bridge, corrected the drawnings and the calculations (a lot of mistakes, according to them) changing the original project.
Actually, few days ago, the widow of the engineer who was called by Calatrava to overview the project, revealed to the press that his husband disagreed with calatrava's solution becaeuse of many geotechnic and structural mistakes.
Let's see what is gonna happen...

Sep 24, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I wonder if this is a norm for Calatrava. Don't get me wrong, I like his work, but he doesn't seem to ever stay in bounds/play by the rules. His bridge here, in Dallas, has been on the books for over 10 years now, and it still has to be redesigned because he won't stay in budget, ect.

A friend of mine says that he's not a very pleasant person, speaking from personal experience.

Sep 24, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Sorry to say so, but I think an engineer with a few visions would be much better to make such bridge ; tell me when architects started to fiddle with engineering issues , and please "why".

Personaly I find that design, -- from the oictures anyway -- alian and wrong in so may aspects. Wrong by interducing an arogant attitude towerds the surroundings, alian in all by not conforming where that shuld be obvious for an architect.

The engineering issues all make me fear yet another wave of hysteric bridge designs to overwhelme European ciity's ---- we are allready here in Copenhagen fighting a silli project that MUST be placed the most silli place in our old harbour --- destroying it as harbour leaving kilometer of free key's where othervise antique ships anchor for the winter, then now this pitestat silli "S" shaped seen from above shaped needless bridge to walk halve a kilometer freezing cold harbour by foot, is the hottest wish for hot air develobers ; some rich man build his own Opera and made the town pay for it, now a silli architect drawn bridge project that is only for the Opera , is promoted heavily by inner circle academics and architect school professors --- People with no touch with the city and architects only out for spetacular silli projects for the sake of the projects.

And it is a sickness spreading --- spreading with particular architects ignorance towerds the qualities people in this city want to keep, not destroyed by silli spetacular bridge projects, brought to us, by rich Opera builders.

When this can happen in lovely places as that in the picture, then The Pimp architecture can do anything to a fine old town, arogant architects can place alian constructions ment to rise the Hero status to the engineering skies , as a forever reminder how architects are allowed to stick their fingers into any antique city layout to destroy it with silli hysteric bridge designs, as a reminder of their arogance.

Sep 24, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Per, Calatrava has a doctorate in engineering, doesn't he?

Sep 24, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
iaakuza

yes u r correct. he got a degree in civil engineering from ETH and after a doctoral thesis, "On the Foldability of Space Frames".
That's why what is happening in venice is "in a certain way" funny

Sep 24, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I guess I has to admit I newer realy liked him, sorry I newer realy liked the fishbone ,whale skelleton expression of much of these structures.
- Then let me add this is all my foult, but I find it silli.
If you solve a puzzle from an objectiv attitude towerds the problem ,and find the best solution that way , and that render fish bones , or a whale skelleton well then the thing is clear. But if all you can see is fish bones and whale skelletons, and everything take form of that, then I am sorry to say but this display very unclear.
Now you could say the same about 3dh I know ; "why do he all the time present the same and same concept" -- True but this is something else it is not the expression but a humble structure ment to be hidden if you don't like the honey tastem left open there are multible different scales and combinations to 3dh, but fish bones ; what are they good for , why strive forms into useless space folds where foundations and floors , not pointed things curved to reach the sky where anyone can see they will not. Bside if you fold space frames it's bound to rain thru.

Sep 24, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Took my liberty while I know engineers are less fragile than architects.

Sep 24, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: