Archinect
anchor

Employers...Please respond in a timely manner...

Workshop B

After reading the job application feature (great feature) and going through the job search process for a few months I have one favor to ask employers...please respond in some way, to let us know that you have received our work, in a timely manner. Even if the response is "we will be busy for the next few weeks and will get back to after that."
Especially if you are advertising a particular position that someone applies for....
I sent my work to a firm in LA that I was really interested in working for and had a position open that I qualified for. They provided no contact information so I could follow up on my submission. I then interviewed with a number of firms over the next two weeks, took a job with another firm...and on my 2nd day of work get a phone call from the firm I wanted to work for. Apparently they were too busy to respond but were interested in interviewing.
It only takes a minute to drop an email to a potential hiree to let them know what the status is of their inquiry. We cant wait forever to hear back from every firm we send work to but we would like to hear back someway...within the week! No commitment or interview scheduling...just a status update on the position and submission.

Sep 20, 07 12:26 am
joe

but on the flip side its also on us. I agree with what you said, and it could have helped me previosly, but we have to show some level of initiative that we want to work there. this goes with following up after interviews as well in my mind. you just cant fall off the map. gotta stay busy keeping your name in their head...

Sep 20, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i worked for a small but strong firm a few years back. we got 100+ emails a week when we weren't hiring.

Sep 20, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It would be nice to hear back from employers though. I often find harassing them in person is the only way to get their attention. 9/10 a receptionist tells me "please email us your resume and work samples..."

Sep 20, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I agree with following up and the firms I did follow up with I usually got an interview. This firm gave a mailing address for work submission with the standard comment no phone calls please. Guess I should have called anyways to follow up! I think that if you are advertising for a position you should respond to the person submitting work.

Sep 20, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 

i got an email from an office that i had an interview with six months earlier saying that i had got the job if i was still available. derr!

Sep 20, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wrong. what you do is find out who reviews resumes. write the cover letter to them. at the end of the letter tell them that you will be contacting them in two weeks to discuss becoming a member of their dynamic organization...

Sep 20, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

this topic has been explored ad nauseum here before - suggest you use the search function to view those prior threads

however, this is one of those eternal double edged swords. for every firm that fails to provide adequate feedback to candidates, there's at least five (but probably more) candidates who a) submits credentials for a position he's clearly not qualified to fill, or b) posts (or keeps) a resume on a job board after taking another position, or c) sends a blind "to whom it may concern" inquiry.

there's plenty of abuse on both sides of this issue.

Sep 20, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

the problem is one feeds the other though, I wouldn't be forced to take such a shotgun approach if I could actually hear back from a couple of firms.

A simple "No" would suffice.

Sep 21, 07 1:53 am  · 
 · 
binary

what i hate is when a company emails me regarding contract work and ask how my schedual is....then i dont hear back for a week...then its the same questions again..wtf....... so far a certain company has been leaving me hanging for about 2 months now...wtf...... i asked them just give me a date when they plan on wanting me to work....thats all i ask...

b

Sep 21, 07 2:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: