Archinect
anchor

Licensure in the UK

nonarchitect

Just curious what is the licensing procedure in the UK ? Do they accept M.Arch from the US as equivalent ?

Sep 19, 07 11:45 am
impalajunkie

I'd also be curious how it works throughout Europe, I have no clue

Sep 19, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
TED

us march - no.
http://www.arb.org.uk/registration/routes-to-registration/contents.shtml
there is some moverment a foot to tranistion reciprocity to riba - look at building design web site.

unless you went to a program in the us that gave you part II qualifiation [i think u of maryland does] you have to have your degree qualified as part i and part ii which will cost you £2000 - and lots of head aches. once you achieve part ii you are then allowed to do part iii which requires some practical exp and course work [contract management which is beyond professional practice in us courses]. all uk schools offer some program which last anywhere from 2 weeks full time - such as the AA to a year - 1/per week or per month. look at the riba web site for links to programs.

if your going to practice in the uk the part iii course is good.

for reciprocity to eu - its much more complicated --- if you are a native born european and are qualified in a country - you generally get reciprocity if you have practiced in that country for some 2 years -- the rules vary greatly and vary if your a born european of a passport euro. and being european varies as not all europeans are part of the eu - non eu nationals basically go through the same bs as the americans do.

search on archinect - lots of things talked on site.

i love the slogan of arb....
PROTECTING THE CONSUMER AND SAFEGUARDING THE REPUTATION OF ARCHITECTS ......SURE!

Sep 19, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

fyi. in the netherlands its dead easy. you just have to show your degrees (masters) and boom shanka!

Sep 19, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

ps. as TED mentioned non-EU is a BIT harder but not much. they just check that the degree is equivalent. no work experience needed.

Sep 19, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i guess it helps to speak dutch?

Sep 19, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

holz. actually that is not a requirement. there is no exam or anything.
ok, the application form is in dutch.

there is talk that they want to change the system and make it more like the UK and US. ahhhhh the freedom of the netherlands is slipping away.

what next, banning the ol mary jane.

Sep 20, 07 2:39 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

p2an: soon you will need 2 years of experience before you are a registered architect. SBA and BNA are working on this.

Sep 20, 07 6:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: